Convert Spitfire Mk.IIa into a Mk.Va?

Wm Blecky

I seem to recall that a Spitfire Mk.IIa kit can be converted into a Mk.Va but I can not find that thread.  I am hoping that someone could either point me to that info or better yet, explain it here.  I have a set of 1/72 LifeLike decals with Bader's markings on it and an Airfix Mk.IIa kit looking to be put to a good use.  Thanks.

Edited by Wm Blecky
added scale

14 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Put a DH prop and Mk.V style oil cooler on it.  Remove (or don't add) the blister on starboard cowl for Coffman starter.  Metal ailerons.

If using the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire I/IIa kit A02010, the above translates to:

- use prop parts 39D and 44D

- use oil cooler parts 41D and 42D vice part 7A

- don't drill hole for or use part 37D.

- file/sand ribs off ailerons.

I'd also use fishtail exhausts parts 35D and 36D round exhausts parts 21B and 22B (see next post!) and externally armoured windscreen 45C.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Actually, Vas were delivered with the earlier "round" exhausts, same as I/II.  Fishtails didn't come in until a bit later- maybe late '41?  (I know it has been discussed before.)  And external armour-glass windscreen, not the later internal type that became standard pretty much from then on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

If using the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire I/IIa kit A02010, the above translates to:

- use prop parts 39D and 44D

- use oil cooler parts 41D and 42D vice part 7A

- don't drill hole for or use part 37D.

- file/sand ribs off ailerons.

I'd also use fishtail exhausts parts 35D and 36D round exhausts parts 21B and 22B (see next post!) and externally armoured windscreen 45C.

Perfect!  Thank you Seahawk.

7 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Or if you're wanting to work in 1/32, just buy the Revell "IIa" kit as it is pretty much in a Va mod state straight out of the box.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that.  I am using the 1/72 kit.

22 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Just to be pedantic for a moment (just a moment??) many Vas were also built with the old style oil cooler and fabric-covered ailerons, but both were changed (and we know that Bader cut in line for the ailerons).

I have a few of Pavla's Spitfire Mk.IX resin control surfaces sets.  Would the ailerons in this set (top of the picture below) be suitable for the Mk.Va?

PAVU72115

2 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

I have a few of Pavla's Spitfire Mk.IX resin control surfaces sets.  Would the ailerons in this set (top of the picture below) be suitable for the Mk.Va?

PAVU72115

I just gave mine a quick rub with a sanding stick.

Phil