"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Loving the new kits too.

That little F84 Thunderjet is going to be fabulous. I did the academy F84E/G version not that long ago. Funny enough, I didn't foil it-  just seemed too fine and delicate, so I painted.

Looks like a little ballerina for some reason.

I need to get out more..... 

Edited by rob Lyttle
double entry. Whaaa..?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/02/2018 at 10:24, Biggles87 said:

Will you be building it with the bomb doors closed?

If I'd done that much work, I'd pose it doing a barrel roll.

Excellent work so far Spadgent

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

If I'd done that much work, I'd pose it doing a barrel roll.

Excellent work so far Spadgent

Agreed, 100% :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry I go a little peculiar at night when I haven’t had wine. :blush:

Who doesn't? :D  :D

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon everyone. It’s been a busy weekend here at chateau Spadgent. I had to fix my 1:1 scale fence.

40343284561_aa616a680b_b.jpg

amongst other things. Don’t worry I scratch built a post out of 3” x 3” wood. 2.7 meters long mind but it fitted the brief. Any hoo enough of this madness let’s see what happens in Lancaster land.

The wires got fitted ending the bomb bay.

39445906885_83f7e91a83_b.jpg

well until I get to the bombs. Here are some of them dry fitted.

39631935354_0259c079d1_b.jpg

none too shabby. Now away with you while I do other bits’n’bobs.

40298131632_4fb6e6540e_b.jpg

hidden Udet some card. It’s best all round.:lol:. I can now remove my platform of lego.

40298089322_5dca03915c_b.jpg

I’m fully aware that this is turning into the Eduard bending appreciation thread but realistically what am I going to do?

soooo. Here’s without.

25471133047_b0f6c9f40e_b.jpg

I’ll start with the big up front seat.

26471852768_9921254d41_b.jpg40298131282_bd1a982fe1_b.jpg

Looks a lot like a cyberman, I know. Btw please if you’re going to follow along and do this crazy. Buy a Bending thingy. Because even with one this seat is a right royal pain up the bottom.

next up the holders and things. Looks complicated.

26471890158_c08ec63124_b.jpg

Not so bad actually.

25471150807_80f38425f9_b.jpg

heres some rod I had to add. :huh: makes me winder if I had to buy all this rod.

40343254831_772a666939_b.jpg

we shall see. WE SHALL SEE. 

I did need to use a whole 2mm more look.

39445906805_1625df56c6_b.jpg

of course you can see it. It’s holding that round bit and that cog thing.

The other seats were next. 

40343283741_c2803f2776_b.jpg

trust me, don’t get complacent. You will need that bending tool.

38533394000_b94ac6b15a_b.jpg

as for those little baskety things. You can use a cocktail stick or some brass rod to bend that bad boy.

Here is the main wheel.

26471889838_99e8ae5ebc_b.jpg

and a dry fit of the bits so far, front.

40298089022_7d44b04b0c_b.jpg

And back.

39445934325_59b7528531_b.jpg

actually to be fair, it’s looking pretty busy in there. It might end up being worth it.

moving on to th IP. This got chopped and primed, ready for more bending.

26471890128_a58dc448d3_b.jpg

joy!

before I vanish tonight, I had a postal visit all the way from Belgium on Friday. Our wonderful chum and fellow Britmodeller @corsaircorp Has sent me bits of an actual Lancaster that was excavated by the help of his fair “rugged” hand. There is part of the wing and part of the engine mount. I will place a part of both into the main fuselage to give this build a true heart. Thanks CC for this. I can’t think of anything more poingnant to have at the core. I hope you don’t mind me adding this photo of your message. 

40298089272_51d1f7e735_b.jpg

With that. I’m off to stoke the fire, drink a beer and finish watching this.

40298125662_217200138b_b.jpg

there is indeed “a giant running off with the princss.”

Thank you all for dropping by. Have yourselves a lovely Sunday eve.

As always. Happy Modelling.

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Great job ( on your fence :rolleyes:.... Love and hate these kind of things like to shovel  snow,  but it also can be fun sometimes)  Once again: A delicate job on the Lanc and a very nice present from cosaircorp at all. Very gentle. Good to see it's back in the right hands after 72 years. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello Spad,

Nice, the pack has made it to Château Spadgent safely, No problems, you're welcome !

Did'nt found the story of PD 309 yet, but I will publish it asap !

You did great with the PE, next month I'll order my bending tool, 2 in fact since my friend Pierre need one too !

The pilot seat is a nightmare to do, I did it bare hand... Not so nice and far from your ... Add to this the black plastic is not easy to work at all.

sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hello spad there are some ties,

I've started a conversion on that same F-84 Tamiya !!

Nice to see you start this one too...

May be one I can finish first ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

I'm doing the Tamiya Dambuster version of this kit. Like you, I'm a bit over the Eduard bending appreciation club! Finally finished the interior and belt sets and now have the exterior and flap sets to work through - glad mine has no bomb bay to detail (although I do have the two detail sets for that, too). Is it just the light or is your set made from steel instead of brass? My interior set is mostly brass with two frets in steel for the instrument panels.

• Like 1

Hi Johnny,

I see you're doing great with all those PE!!!

And you got some bits of a real Lancaster too!!!!

That's very good and gives you the opportunity to build an interesting stand for your model!

A few years ago a friend of mine who lives in Cambridgeshire and used to go looking for aircraft remains with a metal detector in the countryside, gave me  BIT FROM A CARBURETTOR belonging to a Lancaster. 

He had made a research and supplied me with info about the operating life of that particular aircraft.

It would have been a fantastic occasion to build  a model and put it on a stand with all her career 's datas and a bit of the real thing.

Now my friend has opened a museum near Bury St.Edmunds about WW1 and one of these days I shall visit him!!!

Every time I open the drawer where I keep the carburettor bit, I think I should do it, but I never find the occasion to start my build.

Looking at your progress reminded me of that and I think it'll push me to get over with it!!!

Great progress!!!:clap:

I'll keep watching you!!!

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/02/2018 at 7:50 PM, giemme said:

It's a month worth of bending job in those pics, J! :frantic: Excellent job :clap::clap:

And so cool @corsaircorp has sent you bits of an actual Lancaster - sort of gives a soul to your build :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks G, there’s a LOT more to go. I’m so chuffed that I have the Lanc parts to add to this build. CC is such a star.

23 hours ago, bbudde said:

Great job ( on your fence :rolleyes:.... Love and hate these kind of things like to shovel  snow,  but it also can be fun sometimes)  Once again: A delicate job on the Lanc and a very nice present from cosaircorp at all. Very gentle. Good to see it's back in the right hands after 72 years. Cheers

Thanks. I should post a pic of the new post, if you know what I mean. CC’s Lanc parts will be well looked after for sure. 

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Nice, the pack has made it to Château Spadgent safely, No problems, you're welcome !

Did'nt found the story of PD 309 yet, but I will publish it asap !

You did great with the PE, next month I'll order my bending tool, 2 in fact since my friend Pierre need one too !

The pilot seat is a nightmare to do, I did it bare hand... Not so nice and far from your ... Add to this the black plastic is not easy to work at all.

sincerely.

CC

Thank you once again CC. Such a top bloke. I was wondering if anyone had attempted this without a Bending tool, specially that seat. The rear part was a nightmare even with the tool. How are you meant to bend those inner struts?  Bonkers I tells ya. 

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the seats Johnny, they're looking very realistic :)

Thanks Ced.

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello spad there are some ties,

I've started a conversion on that same F-84 Tamiya !!

Nice to see you start this one too...

May be one I can finish first ??

Sincerely.

CC

By the looks of these Eduard parts you might be right! :lol:

13 hours ago, Andwil said:

All that PE would be enough to send anyone round the bend :coat:

Great work though.

Ahem. Thanks. ;)

8 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I'm doing the Tamiya Dambuster version of this kit. Like you, I'm a bit over the Eduard bending appreciation club! Finally finished the interior and belt sets and now have the exterior and flap sets to work through - glad mine has no bomb bay to detail (although I do have the two detail sets for that, too). Is it just the light or is your set made from steel instead of brass? My interior set is mostly brass with two frets in steel for the instrument panels.

Ahh another victim eh. ^_^ yes my parts are all silver. Apart from the painted bits.

Are you doing a WIP? I did look but couldn’t find one.

You should join the party.  :penguin:

8 hours ago, massimo said:

Every time I open the drawer where I keep the carburettor bit, I think I should do it, but I never find the occasion to start my build.

Looking at your progress reminded me of that and I think it'll push me to get over with it!!!

Great progress!!!:clap:

I'll keep watching you!!!

Do it. It’ll be great! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Are you doing a WIP? I did look but couldn’t find one.

Yes, but not here. It's on the Aussie Modeller website. I'll do a RFI post when I'm done - posting pictures here is painful using a third party to host them.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, The Spadgent said:

Hi guys. 

A small amount done on the Lanc but nothing worth showing. Pancakes and love hearts have soaked up all the time this week. I did get a grand valentines gift however.

39391043125_9cc3b810a3_b.jpg

it’s got a Lancaster on the other side too. 

Also as I mentioned to Tomo I visited my new favorite shop it the city and found these little gems.

26415950468_c19e309789_b.jpg

It’s dangerous having that place so close to work.

Fingers crossed for some weekend action.

Have a wonderful Friday you lot.

Johnny.

Very Nice mug John !

Here's my conversion almost done

38567046250_0093112ae9_b.jpg

With a very special decal sheet !! Will not look like a warrior...

But don't you worry, I've another unbuild kit in the stash and that one will be for my Korean War series !

The ugly seat of mine is posted on my thread:(

sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

For anyone interested, 'bare bones' on Lancaster PD309.

On charge with 576 Sqn. Codes UL-W2, listed MISSING from a raid on Zeitz 16/17-1-1945, aircrafts 5th mission.

All crew survived.

Further information on the recovery, see here:- http://www.fiskertonairfield.org.uk/photo_15.html

The other Lancaster CC mentioned ED800, again 'bare bones'.

On charge with 50 Sqn. Codes VN-O, listed MISSING from a raid on Plzen (Pilsen) 16/17-4-1943, aircraft's 2nd mission.

Crew:-

Sgt.J.G.Duncan, Sgt.J.Speirs, Sgt.D.M.Smellie, Sgt.J.A.Bates, Sgt.C.Payne, Sgt.A.W.Berry, Sgt.H.R.Barnes.

:poppy:             :poppy:            :poppy:             :poppy:         :poppy:            :poppy:              :poppy:

Information on both Aircraft obtained from the book The AVRO Lancaster, Auth. Francis K. Mason

Further information from 50 Squadron Association:- http://www.no-50-and-no-61-squadrons-association.co.uk/history-of-no-50-squadron/

Scroll down to the Operational History PDF file.

On a personal note, many, many thanks to CC and his group, for taking the time to locate these aircraft.

Paul

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

On charge with 50 Sqn. Codes VN-O, listed MISSING from a raid on Plzen (Pilsen) 16/17-4-1943, aircraft's 2nd mission.

Sgt.J.G.Duncan, Sgt.J.Speirs, Sgt.D.M.Smellie, Sgt.J.A.Bates, Sgt.C.Payne, Sgt.A.W.Berry, Sgt.H.R.Barnes.

:poppy:             :poppy:            :poppy:             :poppy:         :poppy:            :poppy:              :poppy:

Seconded...... 

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

On charge with 576 Sqn. Codes UL-W2, listed MISSING from a raid on Zeitz 16/17-1-1945, aircrafts 5th mission.

All crew survived.

Further information on the recovery, see here:- http://www.fiskertonairfield.org.uk/photo_15.html

Information on both Aircraft obtained from the book The AVRO Lancaster, Auth. Francis K. Mason

Further information from 50 Squadron Association:- http://www.no-50-and-no-61-squadrons-association.co.uk/history-of-no-50-squadron/

On a personal note, many, many thanks to CC and his group, for taking the time to locate these aircraft.

Paul

Hello dears,

I will say that the famillies, and officials, the provost and so came up for a ceremony on the crash site.

In 1992 ED800 has been located exactly but she lay 17 meters deep at the time and still sunking.

Because the ridge on wich she crashed was holed in around 900 to 1200 as an iron mine, galleries plus lot of water made the ridge a kind of a sponge.

In 1943 the german party that came up to recover did'nt found Nothing, they have collected some metal parts and a tiny human remnant.

The Lanc was already engulfed in the Hill.

So it is now a sanctuary and the path to get up there has been named "Chemin des 7 Sergents"

More touching, one of the guy came in full tartan (They were both scots except one from the Midlands)

He asked me if Mons was far away from the crash site, I reply almost 50 Kms west side

Then he asked for playing Bag pipe on the spot, Of course it has been fixed quickly.

That same bag pipe has been picked up aside their great father who was bagpiper of his regiment.

And has been killed in 1916 at the Battle of Mons.

Father and son have been killed 50Kms apart in 2 different wars.

Sorry for my imperfect English but as I remember that days, I'm still engulfed by emotion !

Liberty have a price, that family has paid it for a lot of generation ! Respect !

An old lady came up with the telegram received in April 1943, his brother was considered missing in action over northern France...

And no more news since we called up !

I can share ot of stories like that one, everytime I have that same respect and feeling of a duty !

Hope that I did'nt disturb too much dear Spad, sorry beforehand !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Seconded.

I'm always touched by the shared emotions people have in these situations - let's hope that peace prevails (near home) for many more years to come and spreads across the planet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely etch work Johnny and super generous of Corsaircorp to send you those bits. I think I would display one alongside the finished model, that would have massive impact.

Martian

• Like 4

Ok, with a wry smile...

Johnny Fence Builder, once again the patience and detail you go to astounds me!

The 'round thing' and 'cog thing' you have built next to the pilots seat are trim wheels. No aircraft ever flies perfectly straight or level, so they have small adjustable sections on each flying control surface that the pilot can adjust to 'trim' out the up/down/left/right forces that change as the aircraft gets lighter (for most of us that = burning fuel, for a Lancaster that may have been a more abrupt weight change..), changes engine power settings etc. The big wheel is the pitch trim on the elevator, or the up/down trim. The 'cog' is the aileron trim, or the left/right wing up/down to turn the aircraft.

Yourself and CC are to be congratulated. Good work Sir.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 20/02/2018 at 8:46 AM, Bell209 said:

Yes, but not here. It's on the Aussie Modeller website. I'll do a RFI post when I'm done - posting pictures here is painful using a third party to host them.

Aaah yes now I remember. I’ll seek it out. 

On 20/02/2018 at 11:18 AM, corsaircorp said:

Very Nice mug John !

Here's my conversion almost done

38567046250_0093112ae9_b.jpg

With a very special decal sheet !! Will not look like a warrior...

But don't you worry, I've another unbuild kit in the stash and that one will be for my Korean War series !

The ugly seat of mine is posted on my thread:(

sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Looking good, I’ll pop over and see your thread. :thumbsup:

On 20/02/2018 at 6:43 PM, PhoenixII said:

All crew survived.

Paul

Thanks Paul for sharing this. As mentioned I think I’m going to have to make a base for this one with the parts CC sent inside and on display in honour. 

On 20/02/2018 at 10:30 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello dears,

I can share ot of stories like that one, everytime I have that same respect and feeling of a

ery good and gives you the opportunity to build an interesting stand for your model!

Hope that I did'nt disturb too much dear Spad, sorry beforehand !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC for sharing. The base for the model or similar will have to be done.  And really there is no need to apologize at all. Your stories are a much welcome and valid part of the soul of this build.

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Lovely etch work Johnny and super generous of Corsaircorp to send you those bits. I think I would display one alongside the finished model, that would have massive impact.

Martian

Thanks M.:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, isaneng said:

Ok, with a wry smile...

Johnny Fence Builder, once again the patience and detail you go to astounds me!

The 'round thing' and 'cog thing' you have built next to the pilots seat are trim wheels. No aircraft ever flies perfectly straight or level, so they have small adjustable sections on each flying control surface that the pilot can adjust to 'trim' out the up/down/left/right forces that change as the aircraft gets lighter (for most of us that = burning fuel, for a Lancaster that may have been a more abrupt weight change..), changes engine power settings etc. The big wheel is the pitch trim on the elevator, or the up/down trim. The 'cog' is the aileron trim, or the left/right wing up/down to turn the aircraft.

Yourself and CC are to be congratulated. Good work Sir.

Thanks for the information. See we’re learning all the time. :lol: btw is the seat black or green in your lovely craft? 

I was headed toward green interior up to the bombers view pod then black up to the nose. Is that right? 

Jont.

• Like 1