"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

On 9/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, tk1608 said:

I’ve come to this epic very late, but your build is Absolutely stunning !!!!
Thanks for sharing 

Phil

:)

Thanks Phil. She was a joy to build. 🤩

On 9/8/2020 at 2:05 PM, TonyOD said:

I'm very late to this party but what a build! Fantastic work.

I had to laugh at doggy having a nibble at your book early on. Our dog has eaten my glasses, my running shorts, my ski jacket, a fleece and my favourite Montane walking jacket, oh and the corner of one of my 1970s Queen vinyls LPs, but curiously hasn't touched anything belonging to the wife. I'm sure she's trained that way...

Luckily he is older now and chews less. Sorry to hear of the vinyl. 😮

On 6/23/2020 at 11:58 PM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, Just joining but likely not the last—I really don’t have words for how spectacular your bomber turned out—it is both a moving tribute and a phenomenal display of skill—best, Erwin

Thanks. Too, too kind. 🤗

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 3:12 PM, giemme said:

Now I'm bleeding....  and crying....

My only Queen vinyls are of the later production, from A kind of Magic on - safely stored away!

Apologies for the OT Johnny, I'll stop now :) 

I have quite a few records still. I have Flash Gordon sound track signed by Brian Blessed.  I keep it away from Zero. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I have quite a few records still. I have Flash Gordon sound track signed by Brian Blessed.  I keep it away from Zero. 🤣

Please tell me you got him to write GORDON'S ALIVE?!?! on it...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've recently completed some research on a Lanc. My mother  as a 17 year old,  wrote the crew a poem to present to them at a friend's 18th party.  Her friends brother was on the crew.  Before the party the Lanc was lost over Germany.  The poem was never read to them. I've managed to identify the crew, which was no small feat as most were mentioned by their nicknames.  

I've identified the crash site and intend visiting when restrictions allow. But to help with the search I've bought this kit to get to know the aeroplane.  

I've built nothing in years so I'm out of my depth a bit but your superb build on these pages has given me courage. 

If you want to see details of the poem I'm putting together a site.  It's a work in progress.  https://juliaandrichard.wixsite.com/jb141

I have a question for Johnny,  did you paint the figures?  I can't find any details of anyone who has. 

Again,  a fantastic build and one i think I'll have plenty of time to complete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Reg Gibson said:

I've recently completed some research on a Lanc. My mother  as a 17 year old,  wrote the crew a poem to present to them at a friend's 18th party.  Her friends brother was on the crew.  Before the party the Lanc was lost over Germany.  The poem was never read to them. I've managed to identify the crew, which was no small feat as most were mentioned by their nicknames.  

I've identified the crash site and intend visiting when restrictions allow. But to help with the search I've bought this kit to get to know the aeroplane.  

I've built nothing in years so I'm out of my depth a bit but your superb build on these pages has given me courage. 

If you want to see details of the poem I'm putting together a site.  It's a work in progress.  https://juliaandrichard.wixsite.com/jb141

I have a question for Johnny,  did you paint the figures?  I can't find any details of anyone who has. 

Again,  a fantastic build and one i think I'll have plenty of time to complete

Oh my word. I have just read through your site. What an extraordinary and tragic story. Stranger still is that I myself work in Birmingham. On the Hagley road no less. (In fact I live on it but way up

the other end in Stourbridge) I worked at the Five ways (Tricorn House ) for just over twenty years before moving to Digbeth and now Alpha Tower by the Mail Box. So I’m fully aware of the street she walked along as I have done the same leafy journey myself many times. ❤️ Your Story is beautifully written as is your mother’s poem. I’m honoured that you might use my build as reference for your build to honour the brave souls and your mothers legacy. If I can help in any way please let me know.

I didn’t paint the figures unfortunately. I rarely do. If you need spares for practice I’ll gladly send you mine. I also have a few spare parts if you should need them. Please let me know.

Are you planning a WIP? If so please let me know also. I’d love to tag along. I have lots of ref shots that might help. I’m sure @isaneng would love to hear this story so I’ll tag him in if that’s ok.

Take care, all the best and good luck with your endeavours.

John. 

• Like 2

Johnny, simply spectacular results--it is always what detail pique interest in a profession build--I dont know why, but the tires on this are amazing--maybe they ironically pop out better against all the black--never the less, a fitting tribute to The Many--Best, Erwin

• Thanks 1

@The Spadgent @Reg Gibson Hi Reg, this is fantastic, just settling in to read through the whole site and hope you'll keep us posted! Sorry John for hijacking your thread, i thought Reg might be interested in the basic paint job i did with the figures for my 1/72 Lanc here: 

I spent a bit of time looking for tips on figure painting and didn't find much either - I'm sure there is someone on BM who can help though and would be interested to see the best way to tackle 1/72 and 1/48 pilots and crew. Cheers, Sam

• Like 1

Just received the kit together with another pile of kits - it was an auction.

Turns out it is the early 70s molding - no prepainted bits etc, all in black!

Bonus is the 1973 magazine review of the kit.

Is it worth me starting or should I get one of the later versions?

• Like 1

It depends what you want to do  . . . 

A decent model can be made with a few mods if your so inclined but the later version had a pre-painted clear set which included a 0.5 twin gun turret  . . . . still with the mods to do 

43 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

It depends what you want to do  . . . 

A decent model can be made with a few mods if your so inclined but the later version had a pre-painted clear set which included a 0.5 twin gun turret  . . . . still with the mods to do 

OK, as long as that's the only drawback with the earlier kit. Someone offered my the grandslam special with motors for £100, can't even find one to see if that's a reasonable price!

Did I hear that the rivet detail was suspect on the original moldings?

Reg

Where do you draw the line . . . 

some argue that panel lines and rivets spoil a model whereas other thinks its a sign better detail to have them ??

Here is one I built about 5 years ago and will certainly give you an idea of whats in front of you  ... 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/tamiya-1-48th-lancaster-ed583-wings-for-victory-10-t46830.html

Ian

On 03/01/2021 at 20:19, The Spadgent said:

I didn’t paint the figures unfortunately. I rarely do. If you need spares for practice I’ll gladly send you mine. I also have a few spare parts if you should need them. Please let me know.

Are you planning a WIP? If so please let me know also. I’d love to tag along. I have lots of ref shots that might help. I’m sure @isaneng would love to hear this story so I’ll tag him in if that’s ok.

Take care, all the best and good luck with your endeavours.

John. 

John, I'm glad you like the story etc. I'll let you know when Spielberg gets it on Netflix 😉

Many thanks for the offer of the figures, I will take you up on it if I may. I'll PM you my details.

The kit turns out to be the early 70s version - the decals are limited e.g. it's suggesting to me to paint the red stripes etc!

Reg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Reg

Here is one I built about 5 years ago and will certainly give you an idea of whats in front of you  ... 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/tamiya-1-48th-lancaster-ed583-wings-for-victory-10-t46830.html

Ian

Ian

That's a great build, well done. It took me a while to get access but all s good now.

Whilst looking at your final photographs it reminded me that I think it was you that made JB141 in her previous 100 Sqn markings?

I'll have to order new decals as the ones with the kit are the original, smaller ones and I'll be marking her up as UM N2

On 12/01/2021 at 21:54, Reg Gibson said:

John, I'm glad you like the story etc. I'll let you know when Spielberg gets it on Netflix 😉

Many thanks for the offer of the figures, I will take you up on it if I may. I'll PM you my details.

The kit turns out to be the early 70s version - the decals are limited e.g. it's suggesting to me to paint the red stripes etc!

Reg

Hey Reg. 

there is a little package ready for postage tomorrow. I have added a few extra spares I thought you might want. There were another set of props but I only had three. Why? I don’t know why. 🤔
hope the build goes well. 🙌

Johnny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Hey Reg. 

there is a little package ready for postage tomorrow. I have added a few extra spares I thought you might want. There were another set of props but I only had three. Why I don’t know why. 
hope the build goes well. 🙌

Johnny

Johnny, you are a gentleman, thank you.

Now all I have to do is resist buying the motorised "Grand Slam" version that is for sale locally!!

Help!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reg Gibson said:

Johnny, you are a gentleman, thank you.

Now all I have to do is resist buying the motorised "Grand Slam" version that is for sale locally!!

Help!

After the amount of good fortune I have had over the past few months the least I can do is pay it forward to another willing soul. If you want to build two Lancs go for it but the kit you have is a stunner. I’ll look forward to which ever you choose. 

Jonst

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

After the amount of good fortune I have had over the past few months the least I can do is pay it forward to another willing soul. If you want to build two Lancs go for it but the kit you have is a stunner. I’ll look forward to which ever you choose. 

Jonst

The Grand Slam one has the motors.

I think I shouldn't bite off any more as I'll not only be unable to chew but may develop indigestion. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...