"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Amazing progress on the small bits. Coming all together and some brain infractions but that is part of what we do and who we are as modellers. Not to stress, just step back take a breath and proceed with great enthusiasm. Such a wonderful model you have there. Deserves a case or diorama to set on.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, f111guru said:

Oh my, whirly bird. What an adventurous thought. Tons of options for that bad boy. I'm up for the chopper.

Ron VanDerwarker

Yes she was going to be next but first ive Got something totally different. 

6 hours ago, f111guru said:

Amazing progress on the small bits. Coming all together and some brain infractions but that is part of what we do and who we are as modellers. Not to stress, just step back take a breath and proceed with great enthusiasm. Such a wonderful model you have there. Deserves a case or diorama to set on.

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks again Ron, A base is planned with a dedication and the other Lanc parts on display but not quite yet. 😃

Johnny

• Like 2

Amazing, simply amazing! :worthy:

You keep putting excellence in every single tiny detail you add to this big bird. Admirable dedication, it will definitely be a stunner! :clap: :clap:

Now you're teasing us on what's next, though :frantic:

Give as a clue, will ya? :fight:

:rofl:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

7 months.

Nearly a thousand posts.

Superb Johnny. Superb.

I look forward to seeing the RFI, but this record of your efforts has been engrossing. You should be duly proud of yourself, not something we normally like to admit to others, but bloody well done Sir.

And thank you. Thank you very much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2018 at 7:01 AM, giemme said:

Amazing, simply amazing! :worthy:

You keep putting excellence in every single tiny detail you add to this big bird. Admirable dedication, it will definitely be a stunner! :clap: :clap:

Now you're teasing us on what's next, though :frantic:

Give as a clue, will ya? :fight:

:rofl:

Ciao

Thanks G. Sorry to tease. I have just posted my next build WIP.  She's a change in direction alright. :)

On 9/14/2018 at 7:05 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

I would like to see the Kamov.  It is your scale, a very interesting helicopter with several variants and operators, and with your skill level bound to be a masterpiece!

Yup, She's on the cards. Pretty much the reason why I'm building my new kit. Lovely rounded shape, looks like something from Metal Slug! ( Video Game )

20 hours ago, isaneng said:

7 months.

Nearly a thousand posts.

Superb Johnny. Superb.

I look forward to seeing the RFI, but this record of your efforts has been engrossing. You should be duly proud of yourself, not something we normally like to admit to others, but bloody well done Sir.

And thank you. Thank you very much.

Thanks Rick. You're really the main reason this build got started in the first place, and I thank you for that. I have always had a Lancaster build in me but it seems to have taken over forty years to get it out. :)

Thank you so much for all the help along the way. 

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking great Johnny.

Looking forward to seeing her in RFI.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, I'm going to let her sit for a bit before I get the RFI done, but it'll be soon.

14 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Nicely done John, this bird is looking superb.

Thank you sir. much appreciated.

• Like 3

Well she's done.😀

It's taken Seven months and about ten days to get her completed. It's been a hell of a ride but with all the help from you guys along the way it didn't feel half bad.🤗 (you know who you are) :)

I must say a huge thank you to @isaneng for all the help and extra information that I needed. I'm going to miss our Q&As about odd little bits on bobs on PA474. I feel as if I know that aeroplane inside and out. That's the most wonderful thing about this hobby for me, learning as you go. Not just about modelling and painting but about the subject matter on the bench. Also a special BIG thank you goes to @corsaircorp For kindly sending me a piece of a wing and a piece of and Engine mount from a downed Lancaster that he helped unearth in Belgium, those pieces now reside in the nacelles of my rendition of PA474.

It's been a real honor to have had to opportunity to spend time building this wonderful bird with a unique insight from @isaneng, an opportunity that hopefully will occur again at some point in the future. ;) 

I hope that the dedication at the start of this build has been upheld.  I'm getting tingles writing about it sitting looking out across my garden on a September morning, taking in the warm autumnal sun and thanking every one of the brave souls who risked or lost their lives making sure that our freedom that we enjoy today is possible and never taken for granted.

Thanks to the many, you will always be remembered.

Thanks to you guys too for spending your valuable time delving into this build over the last seven or so months. it's bee emotional.😘

I have one last post before I hot foot it to my new build. There will be an RFI but i need a rest form the blighter and come at it with fresh eyes. Soon my friends, soon.

Well here's what happened today.

Last night was spent watching the wonderful League of Gentlemen in Birmingham.

44642400722_7ea408aa06_b.jpg

Poor ol' plop plop. :)

So I had to postpone the final few steps until this morning.. ( get on with it )

OK here goes.

The prop bibble cutting down was easier than expected.

44690884491_efce0b0d5c_b.jpg

A swann morton sliced the plastic easily without any need of a tidy up.

29753900607_ca6ea0ff09_b.jpg

and the rough edges made for a tight fit. (a good thing)

aaaaand they're on.

44642404492_656cf9b25c_b.jpg

it's odd seeing the forum on a laptop. Everything is so BIG.  any way, last bit to do. drill a hole.

42881317110_6c2a2e3ed1_b.jpg

and bung in an aerial made of thin jewelers wire.

43973101074_d3d34e5ba9_b.jpg

I popped the rear turret in place and....................

43973102064_4a06713f4a_b.jpg

there she is. I'll add a few more pics for you guys. The light is really nice this morning but I really can't look at her without seeing errors so I'm going to wait for my brain to settle before doing the RFI. 

29753901797_499a83284d_b.jpg42881316590_aa96f92d2d_b.jpg30820967428_e23188c56e_b.jpg30820967308_70ff64ac0a_b.jpg29753901507_3e6e325cb7_b.jpg

Her resting place for now.

I do love the ritual cleaning of the bench in preparation for a new kit. it's like the smoking of one cigarette after finishing the novel in Misery.

29753903407_8642ec76e8_b.jpg

Not too messy really but it looks better now.

42881286520_399506aebc_b.jpg

Can you see it?

Gulp, Yes boys and girls I've gone over to the dark side. Well the muddier side anyway. 

I couldn't decide on a new kit from the stash as I think this build has sucked all aeroplane mojo. I though it had sucked out the modeling mojo too but my interest piqued the other day in my LMS when I saw a book and a new kit. Totally out of my comfort zone and nothing like I have done before. The eagle eyed will notice a Tank in my cabinet that I did just before I came back to modelling. before the days when thinner was something you mixed with paint and well before airbrushes.

My new build will begin today and I'll be delving into

42881540180_80a0360166_b.jpg

with a dollop of.

43782339695_dc13e18392_b.jpg

and lashings of .....

42881286450_ea4ef19e00_b.jpg

If it's not your thing don't worry. I will be back to do winged things soon as I can't see this taking very long. Although I did buy two. 🤤

I'm more excited about the mud stuff and having a go at heavy chipping, weathering, I think the cartoon nature of this will allow more freedom to experiment without the craziness of trying to keep things historically accurate.

I'd be flattered if you'd join me for the build. you can find it here.

Thank you once again for all your time and effort and invaluable help in this adventure. I'll post a link to the RFI on here when I do it.

Take care and as always.

Happy Modelling chums.

Johnny signing off. 😚

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I hope that the dedication at the start of this build has been upheld.  I'm getting tingles writing about it sitting looking out across my garden on a September morning, taking in the warm autumnal sun and thanking every one of the brave souls who risked or lost their lives making sure that our freedom that we enjoy today is possible and never taken for granted.

Thanks to the many, you will always be remembered.

Hear, hear - very well said Johnny.

Absolutely wonderful model that is a fitting tribute to those 55,573 young men who didn't come home, and those who risked everything for us and were fortunate to survive. We WILL remember them all :poppy:

Very, very well done.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Johnny, my wife's late uncle RCAF WWII Lancaster/ Halifax navigator ( DFC ) would be proud of the well done job you did, that is awesome and a wonderful tutorial, I have 2 of those first release kits in my stash, I should get on it, but seriously , this was a very enjoyable build for us all to watch, top drawer, and take a bow....... thanks for sharing

Jeff

• Thanks 1

There is no doubt you have built a fine tribute to those 55,000+ who fought a brave battle across the night skies.

I agree with the plaudits BUT its a shame that there are two noticeable errors, the mid-upper and front turret framing.

It is still probably the most detailed build of the Tamiya Lancaster seen and also a tribute to your modelling skills.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Well, what a ride... great build Johnny and a wonderful result, she's a real beauty :) 

A tank? You're building a tank? Oh well, I've learnt so much from your weathering I may as well pop over there...

4 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Absolutely fantastic John.

What a great tribute.

All the Best!

Don

Thanks Don.

52 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Coincidentally, just saw the real thing fly past on its way back to Coningsby. Wonderful sight.

Amazing!

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Hear, hear - very well said Johnny.

Absolutely wonderful model that is a fitting tribute to those 55,573 young men who didn't come home, and those who risked everything for us and were fortunate to survive. We WILL remember them all :poppy:

Very, very well done.

Keith

Thank you I’m honoured.

3 hours ago, amblypygid said:

It's Phantomtastic, Johnny. Really enjoyed the privilege of following along these months past, so thanks for taking the effort to document it all so well.

My pleasure. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It's been a pleasure to follow the build of such a worthwhile tribute. I agree entirely with the comments above.

John

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Building targets now eh? ;)

Apparently. 🤩

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Great tribute and a great build John, to reprise a comment I made a few months ago......

..................how many on board? 55,574 souls. God bless 'em all.

Paul

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

Johnny, my wife's late uncle RCAF WWII Lancaster/ Halifax navigator ( DFC ) would be proud of the well done job you did, that is awesome and a wonderful tutorial, I have 2 of those first release kits in my stash, I should get on it, but seriously , this was a very enjoyable build for us all to watch, top drawer, and take a bow....... thanks for sharing

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that means a great deal.

56 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

There is no doubt you have built a fine tribute to those 55,000+ who fought a brave battle across the night skies.

I agree with the plaudits BUT its a shame that there are two noticeable errors, the mid-upper and front turret framing.

It is still probably the most detailed build of the Tamiya Lancaster seen and also a tribute to your modelling skills.

Ian

Well you can’t win ‘em all. Looks close enough for me. Thank you for the kind comments. 😀

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Well, what a ride... great build Johnny and a wonderful result, she's a real beauty :) 

A tank? You're building a tank? Oh well, I've learnt so much from your weathering I may as well pop over there...

Thanks Ced! Yay. Glad to have you on board. 😀

• Like 4

Wonderful outcome, following your WIP was a joy :worthy: :clap:Nothing bad in a seven + months build :winkgrin: :whistle:

Speaking of your next build, I'd really like to thank you for building a target for my A-10 :rofl: ....if I ever get to complete it, that is ....

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Johnny. The Lancaster looks absolutely gorgeous.  It is excellent build with a great finish/weathering and a fitting tribute to all those brave crews.

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris. Glad you enjoyed the show.

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Wonderful outcome, following your WIP was a joy :worthy: :clap:Nothing bad in a seven + months build :winkgrin: :whistle:

Speaking of your next build, I'd really like to thank you for building a target for my A-10 :rofl: ....if I ever get to complete it, that is ....

Ciao

It’s got a BIG red star on it. Aim for that. 😜 

• Haha 3