"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Sorry to hear the missus was sick Johnny but glad you were able to capitalize upon circs with such chutzpah. That big thing just gets ever more winsomely Lancastrian with each update. 

Did I mention how big it looks?

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sorry to hear the missus was sick Johnny but glad you were able to capitalize upon circs with such chutzpah. That big thing just gets ever more winsomely Lancastrian with each update. 

Did I mention how big it looks?

:thumbsup:

Thanks for that Tony . Yes big, looking forward to smaller. ❤️

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Great work.  Don’t forget the anti-creep markings on the tyres and wheel hubs.  Cheers.

Thanks and . Anti what the now? 

Thanks guys for the help with the lights. I really couldn't resist the weathering so I tried a tail test. Air brushed Flory.

30443430038_4b566c7a04_b.jpg

And rubbed off.

43404354535_e353ea80ac_b.jpg

arrrgh not bad but not enough. Sod it.

42502864170_b3ac0ded50_b.jpg

I’ll sorry the lights later. Not sure what to do with the black under side . Let’s wait for it to dry huh.

42502866020_517650a7ef_b.jpg

I sprayed the bottom side with black too for consistency and then slowly swirled the dust away.

42502864130_07378d2054_b.jpg

a little harsh but I can tackle that later.

43593255084_0141a62974_b.jpg

nearly done on the front half.  

Decided to grab her and lightly rub the Flory away in natural light.

42502864150_a19008071a_b.jpg

The sides and decals are surviving well.

43404355345_12514fbf7e_b.jpg

Even though the black underside got a black Flory the look I feel is good.

42502864500_ae0fa9f9b3_b.jpg

getting marks and stains where I want them. Working away with a cotton bud and bringing the wash under control. Looking forward to that last Matt /semi mat coat but this is the look I’m after.

43593254844_7c94f7f3a6_b.jpg

Checking back every now and a while to knock back bits I’ve missed with a moist cotton bud.

42502863160_f69c4e4f9a_b.jpg

She’s looking good. I want to try the dot filters too but we shall see how it goes. 

43593258254_ac563df6cd_b.jpg

I’m going to leave that and see how I feel in the next few days. 🤔 I have lights to ponder on. Thanks for all the kind words, help and love for this build. It means a hell of a lot.

Take care and as always.

Happy Modelling .

Johnny (work in the morning)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 18

Spadagent.  Creep was a movement of the tyre relative to the wheel rim it was mounted upon.  When the tyre was mounted, a paint (I think) stripe was made on the rim and adjacent tyre, like this Q.  If creep was present, the marks would no longer line up.  When his a/c was doing circuits, my Dad, a Lanc F/E, recounted having to climb down through the fuselage, out the rear exit, then inspect the main tyres, hoist himself back into the rear exit and up through to the cockpit again to prepare for another takeoff.  Hope this helps.  Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Spad !

Sorry to hear about your lady, I wish the best and fast healing for her and your family !!

Really great Flory work on the Lanc, you must have emptied a bottle !!😋😋

Look great !! And then dot filters ?? That will be even greater !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brian said:

Spadagent.  Here is a link to an example from the BBMF hanger.  Cheers, Brian.

https://goo.gl/images/ufSyqW

Thanks for your help Brian, that’s great info and story. You must be very proud of your old man. 😌 I’ll be sure to add that to the tyres. 

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !

Sorry to hear about your lady, I wish the best and fast healing for her and your family !!

Really great Flory work on the Lanc, you must have emptied a bottle !!😋😋

Look great !! And then dot filters ?? That will be even greater !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, she spent most of yesterday sleeping but appeared in the evening and had some food, first in a day or so, so fingers crossed things are on the up. I might do some filters but I might not, see how it goes. I did nearly use a whole tub of Flory by the way.😵

4 hours ago, Thom216 said:

She's a lovely, dirty lil Lanc!

Thanks. Not too dirty mind. I don’t want the dirt police on my back. 😋

Thanks to everyone for the help and info during this build. I know relatively little about the aeroplanes I make and learn during the build which makes it invaluable to have you guys along for the ride. 😍

• Like 4

Just catching up after the weekend away... great stuff as usual Johnny.

Get well soon Mrs S :) 

AK paste drying times. Hmmm. It depends on what you thinned it with? White Spirit of some kind I assume, but some of that stuff's quite oily...

I'm using Jamie's Colourcoats thinner on the B-36 so we'll see, BUT it should be dry pretty quickly - try buffing lightly with a cotton bud and, if it comes off, keep going and do another coat; it'll buff whatever but you may not get the 'look' that you want after just one coat.

You can also thin it and brush for touchups - it's pretty forgiving IMHO.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Tasty weathering! :Tasty:  :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G 😎

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I like the wash, I didn't know you could spray it on. I'm thinking of trying some Flory washes ( I use watercolour at the moment ) are there any particular ones you recommend for aircraft?

Thanks 

John

Hya. I bought the box of them because I couldn’t choose but to be fair I’ve only really used “black” “dark dirt” and the “mud brown” ....... “grime” I think I used the “rust” and “sand” too. 🤣 the only one I don’t think I’ve ever used is the white one.  But for a starter the black is a good place and the grime is a close second.   

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Just catching up after the weekend away... great stuff as usual Johnny.

Get well soon Mrs S :) 

AK paste drying times. Hmmm. It depends on what you thinned it with? White Spirit of some kind I assume, but some of that stuff's quite oily...

I'm using Jamie's Colourcoats thinner on the B-36 so we'll see, BUT it should be dry pretty quickly - try buffing lightly with a cotton bud and, if it comes off, keep going and do another coat; it'll buff whatever but you may not get the 'look' that you want after just one coat.

You can also thin it and brush for touchups - it's pretty forgiving IMHO.

Thanks Mr B. Hope you had a fine time away. Gem is feeling a bit better, we think it’s something called a “cluster migraine” sounds terrifying.😣 as for the paste, I didn’t think it with anything.🤔 I didn’t realise you needed to. It looks pretty good mind. I Did a Flory wash too and it worked. Thanks for the tip.

Johnny

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

“cluster migraine” sounds terrifying.

It does indeed - I used to get 'normal' ones and they were bad enough - hope she's well on the mend now....

And your Lancaster just keeps on getting better & better, she's looking absolutely outstanding! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Thanks 1

Oh dear. Poor Mrs Spadgent. We suffer as a family with them so she has my full sympathy. I'm sure you only went to the modelling cave so she would get peace and quiet, you thoughtful old thing you 😉

Cracking work on the Lancaster. It's looking totally Spadgent. (see my earlier post...)

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2018 at 7:35 PM, Spookytooth said:

A dirty great big Lanc forming on your workbench Johnny.

Very tasty sir.

Simon.

Isn’t it just. Thankyou Simon.

23 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Weathering looking good Johnny. Coupled with the Baron style oil filters technique it'll look the dog's.

Thanks Tomo, just checked out his build. Time to dig out the Mig book on weathering.😉

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

It does indeed - I used to get 'normal' ones and they were bad enough - hope she's well on the mend now....

And your Lancaster just keeps on getting better & better, she's looking absolutely outstanding! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks for the kind words. She’s getting a little better.

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks mighty fine Johnny coming on a treat dot filtering will be good.  

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks, yes I think

i’ll give it a go.

21 hours ago, isaneng said:

Evening Johnny, email sent, further details to follow. I'm out of the country now, but kind souls back home are checking for me! Best regards to Mrs Spagent!

Thank you Rick. Please send my thanks to the guys back at the ranch too. Those pics are just brilliant. 

21 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Oh dear. Poor Mrs Spadgent. We suffer as a family with them so she has my full sympathy. I'm sure you only went to the modelling cave so she would get peace and quiet, you thoughtful old thing you 😉

Cracking work on the Lancaster. It's looking totally Spadgent. (see my earlier post...)

Everyone getting those horrible headaches.😥 sounds awful.

Thanks for the kind words. 😇

6 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Looking very nice, Johnny - just the right amount of weathering for a well-loved BBMF machine!

Thanks. 😌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

Really love the weathering. Would you mind if I borrowed your bottle of Flory as mine doesn't appear to work as well as yours!

Me too, had a nightmare with it on my Swordfish....lol, I'm blaming the wash but I know it was really the fault if the Muppet using it....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1