"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

25 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

"Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous."

*looks off wistfully into the distance*

EDIT: Sorry to anyone not British or under 40 who has no idea what I'm on about.

https://youtu.be/3NeRoSFZWbs?t=64

You forgot the "Oranges at half time"!

L. Ron Martian 👾 :footy:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts.

Jumpers? JUMPERS...!?!

You were lucky....!!

Aye, when I were a lad, we didn't have any cissy Jumpers......

• Haha 8

On 8/7/2018 at 10:16 AM, keefr22 said:

I know you didn't want it in this case Johnny, but that's an excellent tip to use (sparingly probably!) when faded roundels are needed - I've stored that away in the memory banks (although how long it'll stay in there these days is anyone's guess!!)

She's looking absolutely tremendous now you're getting her all dressed up!

And talking early 'video games', anyone else ancient enough to remember the coffee table tennis game (memory has lost the name of that one!), and the excitement when 'Breakout' and 'Space Invaders' arrived in your local pub...?! :)

Keith

I suppose it is. I never thought of that. Might eat holes at some point though. To be fair I think I was adding too much pressure with the old cotton bud. 😣

I do indeed remember sit down Space Invaders in the pub. I was a bit young in those days though. Just the half of bitter. 😊

On 8/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, corsaircorp said:

Johnny's back, the tamiya decals are doomed....

Very good job , you mastered these bits of plywood :cheers:

And now cable cutters..... 😓 Did'nt hear about it either... I better take care for my Phantom !!

What to say, undoubtly, Yeovilton is my favourite museum, I get up there " or ' times and always with the same pleasure...

Easy to understand.... As a Naval aviation addict....

Great job my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Yes I knew you loved that place. You were with me in spirit all the way around. That’s why I took the Corsair shots. 😉

On 8/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, AdrianMF said:

Table tennis game: Pong?

Nice Lanc BTW 

Regards,

Adrian

I’m guessing pong. And thanks.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:06 PM, CedB said:

Table style video games, pint of Ale... ah, those were the days :D 

Indeed. Ash tray on the side too. 

On 8/7/2018 at 5:12 PM, Matt_ said:

"Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous."

*looks off wistfully into the distance*

EDIT: Sorry to anyone not British or under 40 who has no idea what I'm on about.

https://youtu.be/3NeRoSFZWbs?t=64

Ha! Good old “Charles “Charlie”Charles” 🤣

On 8/7/2018 at 5:39 PM, Martian Hale said:

You forgot the "Oranges at half time"!

L. Ron Martian 👾 :footy:

🍊 x

On 8/7/2018 at 7:19 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Jumpers? JUMPERS...!?!

You were lucky....!!

Aye, when I were a lad, we didn't have any cissy Jumpers......

We ‘ad spikes!

On 8/7/2018 at 8:20 PM, Matt_ said:

Now you're mixing your British comedy sketch shows. "When I were a lad" was Python, not The Fast Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAdlkunflRs

Come on Jonny Decals, save us from ourselves with some Lancaster performance art...

:dog:

Ok, not much but info and a tad of progress. Here we go......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help and comments guys. You know how to keep a Lanc build going, that’s for sure. 😊

I got some info from @isaneng about the Cable Cutters. 

30063965028_eb69308ed9_b.jpg

This first pic shows the four cutters on the inside of the first two engines. ( you can only see three ) the blanked off vent on the left hand side too.

basically it goes like this. There are seven on each wing if you look from the front working your way out from the fuselage there are four then an engine, two more then another engine, then one more close to the engine. Does that make sense?

@isaneng said.

“Each set normally has 2 cutters, both angled so that if a cable contacts anywhere between them, it will slide left or right, contact a cutter and be severed. I have no idea why there are 2 sets on the little bit of wing between the fuselage and the first engine, they obviously thought it was important! Only 1 cutter outside the last engine, obviously if the cable slid one way, it would fall off the wing anyway!”

Then added.

Quote:  The cable cutter on the Lancaster and other aircraft was developed by Martin Baker of ejector seat fame. It was powered by the cable entering a groove in the wing and then the cable would force a safety catch over and then as the cable moved further into the device a explosive cartridge went off forcing the chisel to cut the cable.

Here are some pics showing positions.

30063962058_94b1df612a_b.jpg43884824132_7c267ddd6a_b.jpg

phew!!! Glad we got that cleared up then. 😀 I wish I had first hand help like this on all my builds but you know what ? The BM hive mind is worth its weight in gold.  You guys rock.😘

in between life stuff and getting ready for holiday No.2 (Caravaning in Church Stretton from this Friday) I managed a few bits and bobs.

The masking came off the UC at last. A few touch ups on the rims, you can see them in this pic.

42124151360_779f94bcef_b.jpg

Some of the under side stiles got added.

30063965078_a30f359764_b.jpg

I noticed that Daco “medium” did quite well on the Tamiya decals withat melting them to a blob. Must remember to do those two lights on the under side of the wing.

I think I’ll employ some trusty Quiche foil to blank off the holes then use milliput to add the rim on the right hand side one.

30063964488_6ca1e87c50_b.jpg

......erm and that’s it. I have found some bits in the well, the “bits” box to use as the Cable Cutters. I just need to get ‘em into shape. I’m doubtful if I’ll get any more done now until I get back next week so as always thanks for your help and warm responses to my frankly over indulgent but I love it anyway, lancaster.

Take care, hope you’re all having a splendid week, and as always. Happy Modelling.

Johnny Sprite Alpine. 

• Like 20

29 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

(Caravaning in Church Stretton from this Friday)

Ohh. Nice. Love it there. I get to ride up and down The Burway and Asterton Bank all week when we go there. :mental:Are you going to Smallbatch? Has to be one of my favourite campsites. We're off to the Isle of Wight next week. Have a great holiday. 

A few touch ups on the rims

Well now. Maybe I shouldn't have asked for an update after all. :shocked:

my frankly over indulgent but I love it anyway, lancaster.

Have you seen the HK Models 1/32 Lanc coming out later this year?

* runs *

Edited by Matt_
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

Ohh. Nice. Love it there. I get to ride up and down The Burway and Asterton Bank all week when we go there. :mental:Are you going to Smallbatch? Has to be one of my favourite campsites. We're off to the Isle of Wight next week. Have a great holiday. 

Well now. Maybe I shouldn't have asked for an update after all. :shocked:

Have you seen the HK Models 1/32 Lanc coming out later this year?

* runs *

Yes it’s smallbatch. I’ve been going there for well over twenty years. It’s great. Have fun at the Isle dear boy and..... no I think I’m fulfilling my Lancaster destiny. One only needs one. 😎

• Like 2

Johnny,

Happy to see you back and hard at it. I'm 99.99% impressed with the out come so far. The .01% I can say I've been there with the walkway stripping. Over the years I've just painted those and masked the thinnest low tac tape I could find. This will be a grand model when it's done. Quite a show model. This begs the question. What's up your sleeve on the next? Press on Johnny, your a magician!

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good thing I'm on holiday too, J - I'll be able to keep up better whem we're both back. :thumbsup:

I had forgotten how good the black aircraft belly looked 👏 👏

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great progress Johnny and the planned detailing will add that special 'Spadgent touch' as usual :) 

Daco Strong and a cotton bud? That may be the problem? I just brush it over the decal quickly and then don't touch it with anything. On some decals you can see them melting almost immediately. HTH

Enjoy the holiday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2018 at 12:25 AM, f111guru said:

Johnny,

Happy to see you back and hard at it. I'm 99.99% impressed with the out come so far. The .01% I can say I've been there with the walkway stripping. Over the years I've just painted those and masked the thinnest low tac tape I could find. This will be a grand model when it's done. Quite a show model. This begs the question. What's up your sleeve on the next? Press on Johnny, your a magician!

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron. I’m pretty happy with the lines and stripes, I know some don’t like decals but I’m fine with ‘em.

This bird is taking far too long as it is. As for what’s next. I’m going to treat myself with some little easier builds. 😀

On 8/9/2018 at 4:20 AM, giemme said:

Good thing I'm on holiday too, J - I'll be able to keep up better whem we're both back. :thumbsup:

I had forgotten how good the black aircraft belly looked 👏 👏

Ciao

Thanks G. Hope you have a great time away. 😁

On 8/9/2018 at 7:25 AM, TheBaron said:

Have a good holiday Johnny.

Safe travelling.

Thanks bud. Will do. 

On 8/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, CedB said:

Great progress Johnny and the planned detailing will add that special 'Spadgent touch' as usual :) 

Daco Strong and a cotton bud? That may be the problem? I just brush it over the decal quickly and then don't touch it with anything. On some decals you can see them melting almost immediately. HTH

Enjoy the holiday!

Eek. Maybe that was it then.😣 I’ll know better next time. 

On 8/9/2018 at 5:37 PM, Azgaron said:

Very nice work with the decals! Looks great! :)

Håkan

Thanks.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:36 PM, Quietstorm7 said:

WOW.... Just read all of this thread and have to say I hope someday I can turn out something that looks this good....inspirational work indeed.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Glad you like the build. Your Swordfish is looking amazing. It’s nice to see one at such a large scale.  Great work sir.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:45 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great work fella. Have a great time on your holiday. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks. We had a blast! 😊

• Like 2

Hey, hope you all had a lovely weekend. Mine was grand. And I lost some hours to this.

43319381514_a930e4a873_b.jpg

It tastes like Refreshers and makes you loopy. 😉

Any way you ain’t here for the booze. (Or are you?)😆 I managed some bench time tonight. I initially contemplated making a hoop out of fuse wire and covering in Quiche foil to make the blanked off section.

43319362674_9f400f9040_b.jpg

This looked too bulky so Remembering the Handley page build I used a stencil tool and drew a square using a ball point pen making a rounded indent in the foil instead.

30170071398_34445f68af_b.jpg

needs trimming but looks the part.

44038267411_0ef5562de2_b.jpg

better.  😊 The other side I filled with PPP instead of metal.

29101174897_96928b8c7f_b.jpg

shouldnt be too hard to touch up.

The other side got primed with Mr Surfacer.

44038292421_2816555242_b.jpg

I’ll fit the Cable cutters at the end.

The rest of the decals got added.

43989807782_4d4ea259d4_b.jpg

and the bomb bay bits that need to go red got a white coat first.

44038292641_22b453b757_b.jpg

Proper panic dry fitting the flaps.

43319363214_de588178f3_b.jpg

they needed to be squeezed in to fit into the other half but since they were glued they wouldn’t budge.😮 so I figured I’d just use brute force. It creaked a bit but eventually it went in. It has popped off the flap in parts but I’ll glue it while squeezed. Hopefully thdn I won’t have any problems getting it back in later on. Here’s a shot from tother side.

43132223895_323b5d531f_b.jpg

I spent the last 20 mins sanding and re scribing one of the tires. Added some primer too.

43319363004_9d1db4eba0_b.jpg

Looks pretty good. Hopefully more during the week.

Thanks for dropping by, hope you all have a great week.

All the best and as always. Happy Modeling chums.

Johnny Gin Head.

• Like 16

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work Johnny, that cover and the tyres look really good :) 

Thanks Mr B

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Cool! :clap:

Although I thought you were going to stay out longer, now I'm feeling the urge... :frantic:

Ciao

Go on you know you want to. 😀

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

A continued display of beautiful work!

Why thank you.

14 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice, all that work you put in on the flaps and bomb-bay have produced a very convincingly industrial look B)

Rhubard and Ginger Gin? Dear god... it sounds like a recipe for trouble

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks and yes it was rahtherr. 😎

• Like 1

Hi, 

Loving the idea of using foil !, I've been saving the metal foil of wine bottle tops as it looked useful, may as well go full on stig of the dump and rescue pie dishes as well, the wife already thinks I'm bonkers....lol.

That and retreading tyres !, we know how to live life on the edge don't we !

Great work !

Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Go on you know you want to. 😀

Thing is that I'm still in California, J :cool:

Flying back tonight, but I don't think I'll hit the bench before Saturday...

Ciao

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quietstorm7 said:

Hi, 

Loving the idea of using foil !, I've been saving the metal foil of wine bottle tops as it looked useful, may as well go full on stig of the dump and rescue pie dishes as well, the wife already thinks I'm bonkers....lol.

That and retreading tyres !, we know how to live life on the edge don't we !

Great work !

Alan.

Thanks. 😀 pie and quiche dishes are great. Just thick enough. I know what you mean about scraping plastic not being the most exotic hobby. 😎 good fun though eh. 🕺

48 minutes ago, bbudde said:

That looks very convincing and great, just to say that, at all. Great work John. Cheers

Thanks. 😊 very kind.

3 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thing is that I'm still in California, J :cool:

Flying back tonight, but I don't think I'll hit the bench before Saturday...

Ciao

Wow! That’s a BIG holiday, or was mine just small? 🤔 looking forward to your return. 

• Haha 1