"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

On 7/22/2018 at 4:55 PM, The Spadgent said:

Good afternoon peeps.

hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend. In between having a well earned rest I’m getting more lancaster done. Even started looking at the “next” build.🤐 but enoughof that, more of this. 🤗

one thing I’ve learned is that with an aeroplane this big you need to be able to airbrush with both hands to get into all the  nooks and crannies. 

29696960338_5aec8f7570_b.jpg

it was a right pain to get that bomb bay done. Getting paint under the racks is tough. Here’s a nearly done pic.

42850403264_acace46057_b.jpg

And here’s done with another coat on the whole under side.

42850403344_8b8b8c6669_b.jpg

One more pass and she’s looking just how I want.

42850402804_f8afa0c72b_b.jpg

And a slightly wider shot.

42850403414_a3fd2cb0e3_b.jpg

Getting into the wing details was also a struggle.

28680572907_da5a2509cc_b.jpg

How do others get on with these heave PE areas? 

42662672725_c924ced243_b.jpg

Right then one last look and I can gloss.

42662673315_4f572974ba_b.jpg29696954248_0bfe4b5ee3_b.jpg

sorry for the extended pics but I’ve found that I’ve been successful in the black pre shade. It’s actually been more difficult to cover than the original camo. I’ve used almost a whole pot of Black rubber. 🤨

43568026011_eb89e91c99_b.jpg

next step glosssssssss. But first the BIG reveal.

It didn’t take long to dry in this heat. So queue the strip tease music.

Daaaaa, da, da, daaaaaa......

28680592617_e24a8ab0a8_b.jpg

No can’t wait.... wallop.

28680594297_8127a2537e_b.jpg

To quote Steve Martin.

”I can tear, I like to tear.” 🤣

43521539402_1dbb7ca789_b.jpg

Looking good!! Phew, no touch ups to speak of either.

now gloss.

28680593347_d4419e8ea0_b.jpg

mmmmmm shiny. “It does look like black leather, like a black mirror” etc.

aaaaand the other side. Excuse my Melon foot but I needed to give some scale.😮

28680596197_22a263b522_b.jpg

I’m a size 10! 

Any way. That can dry, I’ve done some more and will do a bit later but I need to start dinner.

Thanks for dropping by.

tale care and as always. Happy Modelling.

Johnny feet.

I feared for a second that you were going to stand on that!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yeah, I'd say that's about a two foot wingspan right there...

Good one Rob !!  Johnnie I bet with all the foot jokes, you wish you hadn't posted that pic?? LOL

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

Johnnie I bet with all the foot jokes, you wish you hadn't posted that pic??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUt8BURwIvWKH948UORXa

Better with that one for all the others here, John? 😯

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2018 at 5:01 PM, bbudde said:

Nice foot!!!...

Looking really great. I'm very impressed with your work. She'll be amasterpiece!. Cheers

My family hate my feet. But Thankyou on both counts.😀

On 7/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, f111guru said:

Very much in agreement with BBudde. What a masterpiece. Looking forward to the next stage. Decals!

This has been an enjoyment to watch

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron

On 7/22/2018 at 6:15 PM, Spookytooth said:

She looks excellent dear chap, ruddy excellent.

A whole pot of paint? Not surprising when you see the size of her...

Simon.

I know, bonkers. I just bought The last two pots in the shop. Sorry Birmingham Modellers. 😬

On 7/22/2018 at 8:09 PM, Azgaron said:

Very nice paint job, Johnny! :)

With the gloss cote, it looks almost black! 

Håkan

Almost. :D

On 7/22/2018 at 9:12 PM, giemme said:

:wow:You should really be proud for that paint job, Johnny! Having the pre-shade showing through with such a dark color is just outstanding :worthy:

Ciao 

Thanks G. I’m pretty happy so far. I wonder how the oil wash will go.🤔

On 7/22/2018 at 9:41 PM, Biggu said:

I have to weigh in here...................even I can tell that foot model is WAY out of scale for the Lanc cockpit....🧐.................. nice shadowing techniques though, and for the record it appear to more of a size 16 than a mere 10...........🤭

Ha! Thanks. :)

On 7/22/2018 at 9:52 PM, Martian Hale said:

The like was for the way the paint has come out; not your foot!

Martian 👽

Indeed! 

On 7/22/2018 at 10:56 PM, CJP said:

Nice pre shading on both

CJP

Thank you. :)

17 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Amazing, I don't think I seen black ( or rubber ) pre-shaded before.

John

I’m sure it’s been done. I’m planning on adding some colour variation with oils after decals too. 

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Another excellent paint job Johnny - great stuff! :) 

Thanks Mr B.

12 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

nice foot.  you've probably already said this but what scheme are you going to do it?  a more 'any old one' or one like the phantom of the ruher or minnie the moocher type stuff.  i also take it you are going to put a matt coate after the decals?

:thumbsup:  keep going.  lokks good to me but my standard is very very low compared to your build.

Thanks. I’m building PA474 when she was painted as “phantom of the ruher”  I looked at the decals tonight. They’re going to be fab.

8 hours ago, Biggu said:

Johnnie boy, you nailed the flaps, the paint on them looks perfect, even under all those little gubbins.... nice job......even if it was quite fiddly, I think the end result will be top drawer.....

Thanks. Fingers crossed eh.

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Wow, Johnny toes, your Lanc is looking great! I fancy those Eduard flaps for my kit as well. She's nearly finished now. Such a big bird.

My sheila says yer feet look so sexy with those jeans on! Me SO jealous, Mister! :lol:

Cheers my mate!

Unc2

Sexy feet? What ever next. 😵

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yeah, I'd say that's about a two foot wingspan right there...

Deffo. ;)

6 hours ago, avro683 said:

I feared for a second that you were going to stand on that!

I was leaning back. :D

5 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

Superb! Absolutely SUPERB!

Thank you kind sir.

5 hours ago, Biggu said:

Good one Rob !!  Johnnie I bet with all the foot jokes, you wish you hadn't posted that pic?? LOL

Thanks. Yes I’ll try and keep appendages at a minimum from now on. :D

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUt8BURwIvWKH948UORXa

Better with that one for all the others here, John? 😯

More feet, a lot better than my trotters. 🤣

4 hours ago, massimo said:

Looking great!!!!!

All colors are spot on and softly lightened.

With some wash and weathering she'll be wonderful!!!👍

Well done!!! 

Thanks. Keep everything crossed. ;)

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely lovely 

Great work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks bud. 

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

That's about half a foot longer than my bird...

I’m so looking forward to a smaller kit. :)

Thanks every one for all your kind words.

you’re all amazing.

Johnny

• Like 4

Been lurking in the background, popping in every now and then and can only agree with what has been written above, regarding the paint work, :clap2:

However and I hope that I’m not about to throw a spanner in the works but somewhere back in the cobwebs of what passes for for my memory, I seem to think that the flap area was interior grey/green?

I’m not sure if this has been discussed earlier and being of a certain age, could easily be totally wrong or could it be that the colour of the flap area could possibly depend upon where the airframe was manufactured but either way, it doesn’t distract from what is a enjoyable, for me at least, build!

• Thanks 1

better than ever johnny gloss cote  

like your choice of 'phantom of the rhur'  ive got a little masive soft spot for that plane.

nere to us we have of friday the 13th (i know it aint a lank) but they are both special planes for me, dont ask me why.😁

Edited by SA80A2AR
bugger it. clicked send before i could finish it ~(_8^)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tony C said:

Been lurking in the background, popping in every now and then and can only agree with what has been written above, regarding the paint work, :clap2:

However and I hope that I’m not about to throw a spanner in the works but somewhere back in the cobwebs of what passes for for my memory, I seem to think that the flap area was interior grey/green?

I’m not sure if this has been discussed earlier and being of a certain age, could easily be totally wrong or could it be that the colour of the flap area could possibly depend upon where the airframe was manufactured but either way, it doesn’t distract from what is a enjoyable, for me at least, build!

Thanks for the kind words.  😄 As for the heads up about the flaps, PA474 has black flaps. I have

a pic. Not great here in this photo but definitely black.

29749813988_71992081a7_b.jpg
5 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

better than ever johnny gloss cote  

like your choice of 'phantom of the rhur'  ive got a little masive soft spot for that plane.

nere to us we have of friday the 13th (i know it aint a lank) but they are both special planes for me, dont ask me why.😁

It’s a great bit of nose art isn’t it.  :D

Good evening gents. Well my evening didn’t go to plan. My family free idea of a good few hours modelling turned into taking advantage of one of the boys bedroom cast offs.

42662673015_e3a8ae26b8_b.jpg

looks useful? 😃 so this evening I thought I’d screw it to the wall and fill it up.

41811404590_30034e3ae3_b.jpg

Fits great! Doing this meant I had to tidy up the bench. Which in turn moved into the hall , I tidied that then into the upstairs bedroom, full of laundry, so I started putting it away. Needless to say I’ve spent my whole evening tidying the ruddy house. 🙄😫 it’s lovely now ready for our holibobs on Friday but I’m too pooped for the grotto. 🤨 bugger! I did have some bits and bobs done over the last day or so, so I figured I’d have a cuppa before bed and do an update.🤔

For those interested these are the decals I’ll be using alongside the kit ones. 

29749814198_309fef9c70_b.jpg

The top one I believe. @isaneng 2008 does that sound right?

Now we’re getting there with the main bird I can finish up on the outstanding significant other parts. Wheels, bomb bay guns, wheels, bits n bobs. 

Im so happy Tamiya put these lovely pin marks in for me to scrape away.😣

43568023351_56e9ea67c4_b.jpg

It didn’t take long to sand ‘em back and I added the PE parts to the ends.

43521537922_df0a0e4674_b.jpg

and the insides, then primed along with some UC parts too.

43568023471_d245f6e786_b.jpg

All these got a preshade in black and highlights in white.

29749814388_d04242ea47_b.jpg

Btw here are the PE flaps painted up.

29749812298_75340865f7_b.jpg

Quick dry fit and......well it fits.😅

43619573491_86fa0d89e8_b.jpg

yay!  

That unfortunatly is where I left it. As I said we’re off on Friday and I’m out tomorrow night for drinks so grotto time seems unlikely.  If nothing happens I’ll have to pick up in a week or so. I’ll keep in touch however through your lovely work. 🤩 Thanks for dropping by. 

All the the best and Happy Happy modelling. 

Johnny Holiday mode engaged. 

• Like 18

50 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks for the kind words.  😄 As for the heads up about the flaps, PA474 has black flaps. I have

a pic. Not great here in this photo but definitely black.

29749813988_71992081a7_b.jpg

Pleased about that, I did wonder if I should said anything so I’m pleased that no spanner’s were thrown!

Continue the good work... :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Johnny, I am truly amazed at your results. I'm off to see her shortly, to plan for a trip tomorrow. Your date of 2008 is fine - she was repainted to 'The Phantom..' in 2007. Enjoy your holibobs fella, hope you and yours have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

looks useful? 😃 so this evening I thought I’d screw it to the wall and fill it up.

Hmm. Remember my fuselage disaster a few months ago, Johnny? Make sure none of that stuff falls onto your model(s)!!

Looking good so far, mate.

• Thanks 1

happy hols johnny.  you deserve the break and i can guess you need a bit of down time after seeing the same thin over and over again for weeks in a row. i do anyway

BTW how much did this kit cost?  does 70 to 80 quid sound about right.  i might get one (and buy out the local model shop of humbrol 33 😉)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 12:33 PM, Bell209 said:

Hmm. Remember my fuselage disaster a few months ago, Johnny? Make sure none of that stuff falls onto your model(s)!!

Looking good so far, mate.

I do indeed. Not to worry, that stuff is way over the other side of the room. Gives me more space on the bench. 

9 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

BTW how much did this kit cost?  does 70 to 80 quid sound about right.  i might get one (and buy out the local model shop of humbrol 33 😉)

Ian Allan in Brum had it on offer a few years ago so I snapped it up £45 I believe. But I see it for around £70.

the PE Sets are quite expensive. I got the BIG ED set for £30 which was a steal. But she’s a great kit. If you don’t mind fixing the errors, maybe the new Airfix one is better these days?

• Like 1