"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work on that rudderer Johnny :D 

I think those groovy tail wheels are anti-shimmy tyres, if I recall correctly. Well spotted that it isn't fitted on your Lanc B)

Cheers,

Stew

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Seconded, great job on the rudder :clap:

Ciao

36 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Thirded on the rudder.

John

29 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

One would never know there had been a problem with the rudders, nice work Johnny.

Martian 👽

Thank you gents. 👊😎 more work was had. 

• Like 1

Perhaps it’s the pending farthers day but I managed to slope off to the grotto for a bit this morning. 😍

the rudder rear sections got added.

28958517408_8e2e299054_b.jpg

primed and fitted back in place.

41930824695_bdf491ea3f_b.jpg

While working on these bits I have been letting a lingering thought fester. 😣 during some sticking on action a few days ago as @corsaircorp had predicted I snapped off a front gun. 🙄 I managed to fix it but it just looked wonky. Every time I looked I couldn’t think of anything else.

looking closely at my reference I noticed a difference between the guns on PA474 and mine. The flash guards were long and mine were round. Nnnnggghhh. 🤨 nothing for it.

41930822725_a4906a6705_b.jpg

off with the head. I did try and pop em off through the hole but the base parts were stuck fast.

The glass came off and I managed to get off the old nubs and drilled locating holes for the new brass parts that I just ordered.🤑 sorry to those who appreciated my attempt to save the resin ones.i re-fitted the nose gun and will attach the Brownings later. I should have listened to @corsaircorp shouldn’t I. 

Well the tails are nearly dry, good enough to take a side pic.

42783271072_bdf491ea3f_b.jpg

the side vent thing got added.

41930823515_20d1001d32_b.jpg

And these little vents under the wing.

41930824315_005ab19c39_b.jpg

Fingers crossed I’ll get a bit more done later but we’re out tonight and tomorrow we’re out for the boys Birthday.

Thanks for dropping by.

paint soooooon. 😀

Johnny

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Johnny.............. you will LOVE those brass gun barrels...... personally I think once you try them and see the end result, you will never use anything else......this is museum quality, and I, along with the other guys are excited about the paint.....hope you have a great weekend, and happy father's day, chum

Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely stuff on the rudders Jont - proper job there moy luvver* :D 

* a local Bristolian expression of praise and not anything more, er, intimate.

Good man on the guns too. You'd done a great job on the resin ones but you know it would have mithered you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

We need to get Tee shirts and button badges printed up with this...

No Don't ! Imagine my ugly face on a T'shirt ??? 🤔

You will fear the kids in wearing it !! :rofl2: Not to mention the Ladies… And the Nuns… And the Wrens...

Yesterday I was thinking What did @The Spadgent on this 🤬 Lightning's landing gear ???

Good job Spad, If you look back in this thread, I did told you about the round and oval perforation !!

Whatever, the masters ones will make your Lanc better !!

Have a great modelling time and take care.

CC

• Like 2

Hi Johnny,

I notice that you have put the "intakes" on the wings.  I've got a note in my Tamiya Lanc instructions that those aren't intakes but exhausts.  Parts B61 should have the open end facing rearwards.  If you've got the Haynes book, have a look at the picture on pages 36/37 which shows how they should be orientated.  Hope you can change them okay.

Regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1

Hello Spad,

Great work on the rudder, Look like an original part of the kit.

I get a pic of "The Phantom" in 1944, pfiuuuh, No H2S, camera window present but no camera fitted

and almost all the side Windows unpainted… @BS103 has found it on one of its books.

Do you still have the URL of your EE Lightning WiP ? I did'nt save it

I think that I screwed up the U/C of mine, but Enough is enough !

It will stay that way but I will take some notes for the future Lightning Build…

Have a good kid's birthday,

Gun's and roses … Cooool

What we've got here is…. Failure to communicate ! Really great song ! did they performed it ?

sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

I love that last shot showing the bomb bay internals Johnny - primo stuff. Sort to hear about the snappage on the shooters but if experience is any guide this is just the build presenting another opportunity too make things just the absolute bestest! 

Hope you have a gold Pater's day tomorrow. It's been bloody silent here so either there's a nice surprise or the blighters have forgotten.... :laugh:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The flash guards were long and mine were round.

Yeah, I noticed that after I'd added mine, too. I think I can get away with mine though, as the oval shape was introduced later in the war. If I could do it again, I'd get the brass barrels, though!

• Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 1:46 PM, amblypygid said:

Looking forward to the paint. A shame about the guns, but the metal replacements will still be top-notch.

I  too am looking forward to

paint. I had a mail saying the guns had been posted. 😀

On 6/16/2018 at 2:43 PM, rob Lyttle said:

We need to get Tee shirts and button badges printed up with this...

You’re not wrong.🤣

On 6/16/2018 at 2:50 PM, Biggu said:

Johnny.............. you will LOVE those brass gun barrels...... personally I think once you try them and see the end result, you will never use anything else......this is museum quality, and I, along with the other guys are excited about the paint.....hope you have a great weekend, and happy father's day, chum

Jeff

Thanks Jeff you’re too kind. I had some brass guns on my lightning build last year. They are amazing. 😊

On 6/16/2018 at 4:15 PM, Azgaron said:

Very nice work, Johnny! The rudders turned out great! :)

Håkan

Why thank you.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:17 PM, CedB said:

Lovely stuff on the rudders Jont - proper job there moy luvver* :D 

* a local Bristolian expression of praise and not anything more, er, intimate.

Good man on the guns too. You'd done a great job on the resin ones but you know it would have mithered you...

Thanks Ced. I would have kept the old ones but after snapping the first time they just didn’t look right. I’m looking forward to the new ones one. 😉

On 6/16/2018 at 4:30 PM, corsaircorp said:

No Don't ! Imagine my ugly face on a T'shirt ??? 🤔

You will fear the kids in wearing it !! :rofl2: Not to mention the Ladies… And the Nuns… And the Wrens...

Yesterday I was thinking What did @The Spadgent on this 🤬 Lightning's landing gear ???

Good job Spad, If you look back in this thread, I did told you about the round and oval perforation !!

Whatever, the masters ones will make your Lanc better !!

Have a great modelling time and take care.

CC

Never! You’d look great on a shirt. 😂 sorry to hear about your IC on the Lightning. Did you post up in the thread? I couldn’t see it. 

I did remember you talking about ovals but I thought you meant the circumference. Doh! Silly me.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:37 PM, mrpotatohead said:

Hi Johnny,

I notice that you have put the "intakes" on the wings.  I've got a note in my Tamiya Lanc instructions that those aren't intakes but exhausts.  Parts B61 should have the open end facing rearwards.  If you've got the Haynes book, have a look at the picture on pages 36/37 which shows how they should be orientated.  Hope you can change them okay.

Regards,

Paul

Aaaaargh!!!! Right off to sort this out. Thank you. I’m such a plum.

23 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Great work on the rudder, Look like an original part of the kit.

I get a pic of "The Phantom" in 1944, pfiuuuh, No H2S, camera window present but no camera fitted

and almost all the side Windows unpainted… @BS103 has found it on one of its books.

Do you still have the URL of your EE Lightning WiP ? I did'nt save it

I think that I screwed up the U/C of mine, but Enough is enough !

It will stay that way but I will take some notes for the future Lightning Build…

Have a good kid's birthday,

Gun's and roses … Cooool

What we've got here is…. Failure to communicate ! Really great song ! did they performed it ?

sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC.  I’m doing PA474 dressed as phantom so no windows. I wish I had done phantom now. Such less trouble. But not half as much fun eh. 😉 I’ll dog out the thread for you. I’ll post in a sec.

And yes all the classics. Three hours is a lot of G’n’R 🤘

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I love that last shot showing the bomb bay internals Johnny - primo stuff. Sort to hear about the snappage on the shooters but if experience is any guide this is just the build presenting another opportunity too make things just the absolute bestest! 

Hope you have a gold Pater's day tomorrow. It's been bloody silent here so either there's a nice surprise or the blighters have forgotten.... :laugh:

Thanks El Barony. Yes it’s been grand. I bet you’ve been spoilt rotten. 🙋‍♂️

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Johnny, the rudders look marvellous :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. 

10 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Yeah, I noticed that after I'd added mine, too. I think I can get away with mine though, as the oval shape was introduced later in the war. If I could do it again, I'd get the brass barrels, though!

They look great but sooo expensive. 🚣‍♂️

• Like 3

It can't be far from paint now, as well as our regular "discussion" about weathering which you would so miss if we didn't have it. :evil_laugh:

Mischievous of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Johnny,

I caught up with your latest work and must say WOW. Great work on the rudders. I've learned something new and had not noticed the different rudders on the Lancaster. Almost all the reference photos I have show the rounded trailing edge. I've added this new learning curve to my data base to pick the subject and try to notice any differences the kits have over the the photos. 

For years I would get near the end of a kit build and the gremlins always show up at the worst possible time. With that in mind, your doing a fantastic job on your build and anticipating a paint scheme to knock our socks off.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2018 at 9:29 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny 

Rudders look great getting excited now with paint anticipation.  

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks. I can actually smell the fumes. 😀

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It can't be far from paint now, as well as our regular "discussion" about weathering which you would so miss if we didn't have it. :evil_laugh:

Mischievous of Mars 👽

Commenting on the weather(ing) daily is an English institution. And one you have picked up well spending such a long time away from your home planet. 😉 👾

16 hours ago, f111guru said:

Johnny,

I caught up with your latest work and must say WOW. Great work on the rudders. I've learned something new and had not noticed the different rudders on the Lancaster. Almost all the reference photos I have show the rounded trailing edge. I've added this new learning curve to my data base to pick the subject and try to notice any differences the kits have over the the photos. 

For years I would get near the end of a kit build and the gremlins always show up at the worst possible time. With that in mind, your doing a fantastic job on your build and anticipating a paint scheme to knock our socks off.

Ron VanDerwarker

You’re not the only one learning. That is one of the great things for me about this hobby. I learn while I build. 😁

• Like 1

Quick update. 😊

I managed to put the scoops on the other way.

42143800064_740cd2a1e2_b.jpg

pics were hard to find but I could see that I’d along with Tamiya had got this bit wrong.   How on earth they fouled that up I don’t know. 🙄

Any way good news came in the form of @isaneng sending me some pics this morning. (Thankyou again) 😍

29012916108_87aaca562a_b.jpg29012916078_9b4fc0d5dc_b.jpg29012916118_57ec086c94_b.jpg

and nothing port side.

42836831692_ac1ceda1c2_b.jpg

looks like I’ll have to scratch a new exhaust thing, prise those ones off and make good before paint.

well at least it’s before right. 🤣

Buisy this week so I might not get much plastic time in but I can only hope.

Thanks for all your support guys.

Johnny close but no cigar. 😯

• Like 7

That looks great and big, measured by your wrist. Good job.

Btw: Congrats to your football team tonight. And I must admit, that Tunisia played a much better game than Germany did yesterday. I think they will leave soon this time with their erratic play and pomading way to think, that they could defend the title without fighting for that. Saw the last three games of them and they are the same by now. Sadly they cannot do better by now. So your chance this time. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1