"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Damn you chaps, you go beyond my knowledge on a day to day basis...!

Ok, I know the mainwheels are Shackleton - no Lanc wheels available for many years.

I would be surprised if tailplane or undercarriage was not original. Whilst similar, they are not the same and aircraft are not 'shake and bake'. Not just a question of physical fit and finish, but also legality and authorisation to fly.

Johnny, I am with her on Thursday, planning for a sortie next week. Will photo tail and U/C and pass on to you. 

Isaneng, even more aware of his limited knowledge than normal..

😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, f111guru said:

Johnny follow this link to my flickr site https://www.flickr.com/photos/37128708@N00/ and the 3 Lancaster images are some of the reference photos I have. These 3 are not my images but got those from search engines.

Email me [email protected] if you have other aircraft you may have an interest in. I might have some images to help on your builds

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron. You’re a fine gent.😀

44 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Johnny

Just to clarify . . .

Paul is correct with regards to the Lincoln bomber fins and Rudders fitted to PA474.

Its the actual rudder that has been extended, apparently it gave better stability.

On my 72nd Lancaster when I converted to the 1953 dambuster aircraft, I cut out the bottom rear-most curved section and put in a 60 thou piece and shaped to the triangular section and also put in a new, longer 'tab'

In this photo you can see it on the R.H. side fin/rudder . . .  .

42691886902_6073c24ba2_z.jpg

The port fin/rudder

27871990187_22544483a0_z.jpg

Hope this helps

Ian

ps

Shackleton undercarriage fitted 

Thanks. I figured as much about the rudder, should be an easy fix. There’s not a lot I can do about the UC to be fair. The Shackleton UC must be bloody close to the Lanc one because @isaneng has sent me so many wonderful pics of this area and it looks identical to the kit parts. I guess it’ll just have to do. 🙄

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Evening Johnny,

I think what Ian means is the whole of the vertical tail fin.

If I remember correctly PA474 was fitted with Lincoln tail planes, compare your reference photos to the kit.

Balance tab on PA474 is longer and the actuators appear to be 'hidden', there's also a straight cut across

the base of the movable part of the rudder, rather than a constant curve.

Just to muddy the water further, PA474 fly's with Shackleton main wheels, if not the complete undercarriage........sorry..............

Think Ian and isaneng should be able to put me right!

Above everything, it's a superb build, continued strength to your elbow!

Paul

Thanks Paul. I can fix the rudder but the UC can do one. 🤨

• Like 3

I don't want to put the kiss of death on this build but you are in danger of turning out the best Tamiya Lancaster I have ever seen.

Martian 👽

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Phew! Thank you Ian and isaneng......got something right for once :yahoo:

Ian, thanks for your confirmation.

isaneng, I get lucky on occasion and I'm well aware while I'm talking about it YOUR doing it, glad your around to keep things on the straight and narrow.

Worth remembering, no hard and fast anything in wartime, close enough was good enough.

Slight thread drift! An example......

While Dad was alive, I once asked what colour the regiments tanks were? (Luneberg, May '45)

after a few seconds the answer, Green!

Which Green Dad?

Answer, Green! If there were more than three vehicles the same colour we were doing well.

So, don't get too uptight about too much, we just haven't seen the photos yet!

Normal service is resumed!

Paul

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, isaneng said:

Damn you chaps, you go beyond my knowledge on a day to day basis...!

Ok, I know the mainwheels are Shackleton - no Lanc wheels available for many years.

I would be surprised if tailplane or undercarriage was not original. Whilst similar, they are not the same and aircraft are not 'shake and bake'. Not just a question of physical fit and finish, but also legality and authorisation to fly.

Johnny, I am with her on Thursday, planning for a sortie next week. Will photo tail and U/C and pass on to you. 

Isaneng, even more aware of his limited knowledge than normal..

😀

I missed your reply as I was writing.  😊

great news about the UC I’ll be ok with the kit wheels, I’m sure they’re ok.

I’ll fix up the rudder. Bought some items today to scratch that baby up. 😀

Thanks again, couldn’t do it without you.

everyone else on BM is awesome too. Keeps me on my toes. 🤣

• Like 4

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny 

Whooa looking absolutely stunning. This is really coming together now. Your gonna need a bigger workbench fella.  Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks boss. 😃 I really do need a bigger bench. Or smaller models. 😌

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I don't want to put the kiss of death on this build but you are in danger of turning out the best Tamiya Lancaster I have ever seen.

Martian 👽

Well at least you didn’t say Mcbe.......

lets not go there huh. 🤣 and Thankyou sir, you’re too kind.

21 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Phew! Thank you Ian and isaneng......got something right for once :yahoo:

Ian, thanks for your confirmation.

isaneng, I get lucky on occasion and I'm well aware while I'm talking about it YOUR doing it, glad your around to keep things on the straight and narrow.

Worth remembering, no hard and fast anything in wartime, close enough was good enough.

Slight thread drift! An example......

While Dad was alive, I once asked what colour the regiments tanks were? (Luneberg, May '45)

after a few seconds the answer, Green!

Which Green Dad?

Answer, Green! If there were more than three vehicles the same colour we were doing well.

So, don't get too uptight about too much, we just haven't seen the photos yet!

Normal service is resumed!

Paul

Thanks Paul. Great story about your old man by the way. 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Well at least you didn’t say Mcbe...….

It took me a while to realise that you meant Macbeth. Oops!

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hey guys.

It’s been CrAzY busy this weekend.

Thanks you all for your lovely comments over the past few days. Saturday saw us at Download watching some choice rock ‘n’ roll bands.

40950598760_a1317ec84c_b.jpg

Topped off with a three hour set by Guns ‘n’ Roses.

40950599350_6a0197d79f_b.jpg

Amazing!! 🤘

Then Sunday we headed for Cosford where I managed to fulfill a life long ambition to see a Lancaster in flight.

27892397597_21f0bdc52e_b.jpg

Beautiful, flanked by a hurri and a spit. I nearly cried. 😍  This has really boosted the old mojo to get this baby done. 

It was such a great day with so many amazing planes.

27892401567_1bccc9ec06_b.jpg27892400757_bee993a657_b.jpg

and a special one for @CedB.

40950601600_3bcf203812_b.jpg

There was also this.B

I’d planned on going inside but too many other things cropped up and time flys at an air show. ✈️ 

I did however find some bits and bobs to spend my pennies on.

42044058234_960440703a_b.jpg

Also got the new Phantom, it was on sale for £20 too good to turn down. 🤓

Anyway I’m sure I was building a Lancaster right? 😳

Before the rudder debacle I managed to get the under lights started.

27892402367_718b7edb44_b.jpg

I used some clear sprew, sanded it down and painted in clear Tamiya colours.

28887897698_a6da064478_b.jpg

looks pretty good. So I did the rest.

41861139105_6ba5bc01a7_b.jpg

these got their holes drilled bigger to fit.

28887897338_06fb183b46_b.jpg

lightly sanded then I fitted the transparent parts.

42712079562_860f3bf87e_b.jpg

They worked out quite well. Then later on in the day I read about the bits I’d not got quite so right. 😔 never mind, I’m on it with all that extra MoJo. 🤠

Looking through my Cosford pics I had taken a pic of a York for my old man.

look at that rudder section. 🤔 looks familiar.🤨

41861140245_a504b2530a_b.jpg

So with a spring in my step I skipped off to the LMS in Brum today and bought some thick plasticard.

40950599340_1dee6c160e_b.jpg

this should do the trick?

41861134455_4908a9aae6_b.jpg

errrrrr nope! 🤨 the angle is too shallow and the bit at the end is in two parts, that just won’t work, so caution to the wind I sand off the little arm things and cut out the mini rudder bit, cut the angle more akin to my reference and scratch a new mini rudder thing.

42044058224_222901e854_b.jpg

now that feels better. 😀 I’ll need to glue that and fill the gaps etc aaaand do the other side but I think that should do it. ☺️

well I’m leaving it there. I’m pretty confident that is a good representation of what I’m after but I need to sleep on it.

Thanks for all your input and help on this guys. It’s much appreciated. Please say I can paint her soon?  Pretty please.😎

hope you are all all having a great week.

Take care and as always.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny tired eyes.

• Like 17

Johnny

You really need to remove the whole bottom section and replace it altogether.

Not only will it to be seen as a complete section, yours currently looks like  a bit stuck on.

The new piece will probably also secure better as well.

3 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Johnny

You really need to remove the whole bottom section and replace it altogether.

Not only will it to be seen as a complete section, yours currently looks like  a bit stuck on.

The new piece will probably also secure better as well.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. It is as you say stuck on, 😉I’m not leaving it like that. Tis just a dry fit. I’ll fill the plasticard part with milliput or similar, sand then prime.  I can’t see the point of cutting off a whole section and replacing it with a bit exactly the same. I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure this will work. Thanks for your help though.

John.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. It is as you say stuck on, 😉I’m not leaving it like that. Tis just a dry fit. I’ll fill the plasticard part with milliput or similar, sand then prime.  I can’t see the point of cutting off a whole section and replacing it with a bit exactly the same. I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure this will work. Thanks for your help though.

John.

I'd agree with you, Johnny Milliput :smile: With proper filling and sanding, it should look the bee's knees

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, 

I think I may - possibly - perhaps - maybe - have the answer.

PA474 was built 1945, one of the last Lancs built, and as already mentioned, set for Tiger Force, hence the wider cooler intakes.

It uses the 'later' upgraded undercarriage, which was ALSO used on the Lincoln design.

Likewise it uses the later rudder style - with increased area and longer trim tab surface. This later rudder style was also used by the Lincoln, which started production in 1944. (Well, so says Wiki, and I have no reason to doubt it!)

The larger rudder and increased trim tab give better control in cross-winds and, probably more importantly, when flying with an engine 'out' and having to balance the assymetric forces that result. Original PA474 photos show her with the same rudder she has now, so this would agree with the idea that it is merely a late war standard fit.

We didn't steal Lincoln bits, they used our upgraded design!!

Johnny, love the B+W pic, great atmosphere!

Cheers, Isaneng. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Love your work, Johnny! Like so many of your techniques, I think I'll steal the recognition lights technique for mine, too!

Thanks. To be fair I nicked the lights idea from. ...... Damn my tiny brain, I cant remember but I love that guys ideas too. 🤗

16 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I hope you've got enough black paint in Johnny, I reckon that will be quite a job in itself :)

Nice work on your Lanc, I share your eagerness to see a bit of paint on her B)

Cheers,

Stew

I had all the paintz. 😃 probably. 🤣

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Jont and thanks for the photos, especially Wacky! :) 

Thanks and you’re more than welcome.

12 hours ago, giemme said:

I'd agree with you, Johnny Milliput :smile: With proper filling and sanding, it should look the bee's knees

Ciao

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the vote G. 

7 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I like the looks of those ID lights. Sweet work! Same for the tail.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I honestly can't wait to see you weave your paint magic across those surfaces Johnny :thumbsup:.

Me too. It’s killing me, every time I get within an airbrush length it’s..... oh don’t forget the bomb floor, rudder, window, engine cowling, bomb size, gun type,UC.

lalalalalala.

:lalala:* thinking of paint.

2 hours ago, isaneng said:

Ok, 

I think I may - possibly - perhaps - maybe - have the answer.

PA474 was built 1945, one of the last Lancs built, and as already mentioned, set for Tiger Force, hence the wider cooler intakes.

It uses the 'later' upgraded undercarriage, which was ALSO used on the Lincoln design.

Likewise it uses the later rudder style - with increased area and longer trim tab surface. This later rudder style was also used by the Lincoln, which started production in 1944. (Well, so says Wiki, and I have no reason to doubt it!)

The larger rudder and increased trim tab give better control in cross-winds and, probably more importantly, when flying with an engine 'out' and having to balance the assymetric forces that result. Original PA474 photos show her with the same rudder she has now, so this would agree with the idea that it is merely a late war standard fit.

We didn't steal Lincoln bits, they used our upgraded design!!

Johnny, love the B+W pic, great atmosphere!

Cheers, Isaneng. 

Thanks, that’s some great info. 🤹‍♂️

Johnny.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:
18 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Love your work, Johnny! Like so many of your techniques, I think I'll steal the recognition lights technique for mine, too!

Thanks. To be fair I nicked the lights idea from. ...... Damn my tiny brain, I cant remember but I love that guys ideas too. 🤗

38 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:
  8 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I like the looks of those ID lights. Sweet work! Same for the tail.

Its probably these  . . . .

30498114241_bb8951d221_z.jpg

29953602533_2e80dc6905_z.jpg

30636103335_c039aaba66_z.jpg

I just used some spare clear sprue and drilled the holes to fit the diameter rather than drill holes and get something to fit !!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Its probably these  . . . .

30498114241_bb8951d221_z.jpg

29953602533_2e80dc6905_z.jpg

30636103335_c039aaba66_z.jpg

I just used some spare clear sprue and drilled the holes to fit the diameter rather than drill holes and get something to fit !!

Yup! That’s the one. Great tip. Worked a treat, thank you.

By the way forgive me if I’m wrong but I think you have your colours slightly back to front.

27914531437_e2df878e28_b.jpg

just going by these the red is closest to the rear. 

You might have fixed that already though.

no more progress tonight guys. I’m having a rest. 

Happy modelling fellas.

Johnny.

• Like 6

Johnny, this is a bit pushy, for which I apologize, but I know you and this gang of merry men love all sorts of aviation restoration stuff.

Well, who dyou think I met today?

Who knew anything about that?

I didn't!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Johnny, this is a bit pushy, for which I apologize, but I know you and this gang of merry men love all sorts of aviation restoration stuff.

Well, who dyou think I met today?

Who knew anything about that?

I didn't!

Wow! No I didn’t know about it. How cool

is that. 😀 13 years. 😯

Thanjs for sharing Rob.

Johnny.

I'd seen some videos, was really hoping that I'd be able to see it fly this side of the North Sea this year (but alas that's not going to happen). Just watched a Youtube of it landing at Leeuwarden; what was queued up next but the BBMF Lancaster taking off? Coincidence, or a Google algorithm really getting into this thread?

• Like 1

Evening guys. More progress on the rudders. 😃 The little plasticard part got glued for strength.

28949336758_534b6734c9_b.jpg

Then I added some ppp. I was going to use milliput but decided I needed a softer surface to sand as I wanted to keep as much of the original fin as I could. I got some great images from @isaneng

42775669912_b51139f772_b.jpg

A great visual target to aim at.  See that vent thing on the side of the fuselage? I noticed that while perusing the instructions so decided to start looking and fitting the last bits before I can eventually paint. Any hoo here’s a rough fill of the rudder.

42773788742_383a4ab172_b.jpg

And sanded to shape.

42104805354_e7fabd3f80_b.jpg

then primed. The primer was a bit wet in this shot so looked a bit bobbled.

27953408957_022d29f10b_b.jpg

overall I’m happy with that. A few shafts with a stitck and the extra fin added and we’re good to go.😃

Letting all that sit I went about other last bits and bobs.

the side vent thing got hollowed.

41012084290_1f95547725_b.jpg

I made some masks for the under lights.

41012083430_abbdb5cf36_b.jpg

theyre a little smaller as I wanted a black round rim like on the real thing.

28949336818_d0e76946e6_b.jpg

I glued the nacelle ends I’d sawn off robs ago to the PE flaps.

42104805934_86855741e4_b.jpg

Then glued the tail wheel. Wait wats this groove?

41012083790_534b6734c9_b.jpg

I had to question @isaneng about this as I didn’t want to get caught out again with stalls before paint so apparently there is no groove on our aero plane soooo.

41012083710_534b6734c9_b.jpg

blob. 🤩 I’ll let that dry for a bit now.

Thanks to everyone for your input into this build. It’s your attention to tiny details and kind words that’s making it what it is. 

Thanks guys.

more later.

take care and happy modeling.

Johnny.

• Like 12