"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

I'm liking this project! Nice work on the glazing.

Why thank you sir.😊

1 hour ago, isaneng said:

I may, perhaps, be somewhat biased here. But I feel that Johnny captures more than 'X' millimetres in his creations. I feel that he epitomises the soul and character of his subject. It is the very reason I first contacted him. It is why I have been proud to discuss his progress with my colleagues, and to have laughed with them as I lay on the hangar floor taking pics at odd angles. What he creates is more than the sum of the parts, so crack on Johnny, the first beer is on me.

What can I say to that? Thank you for your super kind words. Whithout your nudge in the right direction I wouldn’t have had the confidence to start this build in the first place. I’m so proud to talk to friends about swapping thoughts with a flight engineer on the last flying Lancaster in Britain, helping me out over the many months this build is taking. I get the odd. “ You just glue it together right?” Oh if they only knew.🤪 without your great pics and pointers this wouldn’t be half as much fun or eye opening for me and for that I thank you again.

I’m so looking forward to seeing her fly on Sunday.  Beer in hand hopefully. 😃 

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

The detailing to the bomb aimer's window is just sublime!

Martian 👽

Thanks oh green one. It was such a pain to stick together, glad you like. 😄

38 minutes ago, bbudde said:

That looks great. '70 style and I love that kind for memories. I hate the ordinary playlist of my usual broadcast station at the moment, but they are very good with the rest. I'm glad that I have my music on some other mediums. So I can switch between radio and my favourite music.

By the way great job on that by now. Top notch. Cheers

Thanks. I do have my vinyl collection up here too but it’s a bit of a bind to turn over  to side two when you’re mid glue. 😆

30 minutes ago, giemme said:

Most excellent job on the clear parts, Johnny! :worthy: :clap:

It all looks neat and tidy, too - and shaping up properly 

Ciao

Thanks you kind sir.

20 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Simply WOW!!!!!! Speechless! Press on with pride Johnny.

Ron VanDerwarker

Cheers. 😃 I will that. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Great job on the guns and glazing Johnny - that circular frame is impressive, good job :) 

Have a great day on Sunday, sorry I'll be missing it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2018 at 10:04 PM, The Spadgent said:

Not really. I’ve already paid for these ones and I’ll need eight. 😫 I think thevresin ones actually look good now they’re in place. 😮

Hello Spad,

Do not glue the barrel now, it's so easy to break it when you manipulate the whole thing !!

I use to prepare the gun, left the hole open in the breeches and put it at the very last time.

It's so easily knocked down, and for sure, having it out when the turret is sealed is... :rant::rant:

Very good job on it ! and once again, I agree a 100% about @isaneng !! Such a great guy ! I really thank him too !!

I used the Master for the aerial of my nightfighters ! great stuff and at least, one vote for the resin barrel !

Very good job on the tomatoes greenhouse ! Now it's a gardening affair !

Keep carry on ! Whatever, you will finish far ahead of mine... As usual !

Sincerely

CC the supporter !

Oh Congrats to your son ! One more modeller, always a pleasure to see it !

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2018 at 8:23 AM, CedB said:

Great job on the guns and glazing Johnny - that circular frame is impressive, good job :) 

Have a great day on Sunday, sorry I'll be missing it...

Thanks Ced. I will indeed, hopefully no rain and possibly a pint or three and even a few tents full of kits and a bit of money burning a hole etc. 🤗

On 6/5/2018 at 1:53 PM, Azgaron said:

Nice work! The guns looks great! :)

HĂĽkan

Thanks. 😃

On 6/5/2018 at 4:18 PM, TheBaron said:

This is going...

Err.

Dare I say it?

It's going great guns!

Oh you are a one. 😉

On 6/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Do not glue the barrel now, it's so easy to break it when you manipulate the whole thing !!

I use to prepare the gun, left the hole open in the breeches and put it at the very last time.

It's so easily knocked down, and for sure, having it out when the turret is sealed is... :rant::rant:

Very good job on it ! and once again, I agree a 100% about @isaneng !! Such a great guy ! I really thank him too !!

I used the Master for the aerial of my nightfighters ! great stuff and at least, one vote for the resin barrel !

Very good job on the tomatoes greenhouse ! Now it's a gardening affair !

Keep carry on ! Whatever, you will finish far ahead of mine... As usual !

Sincerely

CC the supporter !

Oh Congrats to your son ! One more modeller, always a pleasure to see it !

Thanks CC yes quite the Percy thrower.  Or should that be Monty John. ..... ahem.... sorry. Yes it’s a BIG bit o’ Glass for sure. As for the guns.... we’ll check the next post. 😮

• Like 1

Good evening guys. Nothing done tonight on the Lanc as we’re getting ready for the weekend. Kids are at scout camp and we have Download and Cosford. Busy and loving it.😍 I did get some done yesterday however.

The canopy got masked, the lumps got some of that purple masking fluid popped on. I’ve never used it before but I gave it two coats. Seems to have gone on ok.

41728560695_a08d3b0b87_b.jpg

The dome also got glued.

you can’t really see the smoothing in of the canopy on that shot so here’s a closer one.

27759737447_85644599c2_b.jpg

smoothed out with a cotton bud. 

Next was a biggie! This thing has to come together now so what better way?

42578048692_090dd8a672_b.jpg

looks a bit konky but that the photo, tough to get her all in. 🧐

while that side dried I did this.

42578047592_70e8c92016_b.jpg

now I know @corsaircorp will be pulling his hair out at this but I’ve decided to put the front turret in, guns ‘n’ allbefore painting so I can get a smooth finish on the nose. Risky but risky’s my middle name. .... actually it’s William but you get the picture. 🤠

It looks rediculus but here’s the plan.

40820900540_2336c2c7c8_b.jpg

🤣 I can’t remember when but I did this before and it was fine. Messerschmitt I think. This time though I used paper tubes instead of tape to ease removal later. The dome got masked too. 

should be dry now so over she went. Ahh hello Mr Gap we’ve been expecting you.

42578048422_631b61db99_b.jpg

not too bad actually so out with some plasticard for a shim.

Plonked and marked.

42628629721_36e9fa4fa9_b.jpg

Cut to shape then glued in place.

42578047722_42bdb6801f_b.jpg

Not bad, maybe some ppp but just maybe. The other side got done too.

I left it there then went and made s cup of tea. For some reason mid slurp I thought about the dome and wondered what those two round things were? Then couldn’t remember seeing them on mybref photos, then having a panic!!😩

I was right. I ripped off the masking and got my scalpel out and attempted to POP off the dome. Ten minutes of slight tweaks and creaks the thing popped off. Luckily leaving the internal framing still attached to the fuselage. How that happened I know not but I assume the gods of plastic were happy with me that day.🤨

42578047982_d7b9c96072_b.jpg

I touched up the paint and decided to leave it there.

I don’t know what those round things are but I have four domes two with round things. (One painted) and two without, I’m sure one is shallower? I’ll sort it out later.

lucky escape though.

As I went to walk out I glanced across and had to take a pic.

42628630771_8bdb7db81d_b.jpg

oh by the way. The tail got glued too.😯

Thanks for dropping by guys. Hope you’re all having a splendid week.

All the best and as always.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny dome.

• Like 21

Seconded!

Great work Johnny, she's looking very special already :)

Have a great weekend (hang on, it's only Thursday...)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Spad,

:cheers: Don't you worry for my hair, they are too short to be pulled out 😛

So Mr Risky Risk, you did great ! nice protection for the guns !

Smell of paint is nearing now, that's brilliant, Congrats !

Have a very good week end ! ! 

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Johnny

I love the detail you are putting into this but . . . 

I believe that the front turret gun barrels look more like 0.5's rather than Brownings due to their length . . . .

I had to check back as to which Phantom you were building and as you have not modified the rudders then it must be the wartime version as opposed to PA474 but on page 1 it states PA474 ??

I mention this because the level of detail you are putting into her, we dont want a slight misdemeanour to impact on what is probably, the most detailed Tamiya Lancaster ever built

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello MA,

You actually deepened the bomb bay ???

Load of work indeed... Congratulations !, I'll let mine closed !☺️

You have a WiP for her ?

Sincerely.

CC

CC

Not wanting to take up valuable space on Johnny's thread, I have posted those photos in YOUR thread

Ian

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Johnny

I love the detail you are putting into this but . . . 

I believe that the front turret gun barrels look more like 0.5's rather than Brownings due to their length . . . .

I had to check back as to which Phantom you were building and as you have not modified the rudders then it must be the wartime version as opposed to PA474 but on page 1 it states PA474 ??

I mention this because the level of detail you are putting into her, we dont want a slight misdemeanour to impact on what is probably, the most detailed Tamiya Lancaster ever built

Ian

About the guns? I’m not sure. They are lancaster guns and I bought them as such. Have a look on the first page.

as for the rudders excuse my ignorance but what’s the difference?

Thanks in advance.

John.

Johnny, It appears that in some pictures have the counter balance on both sides of the rudder. Not a Lancaster expert but just going by some reference pictures I've collected. Your heading down the right path and hope I can at least follow when I start mine. Have other projects ahead. I don't have any special tools to bend the photo etch just some basic metal tools. I'm enjoying the progress to date.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, f111guru said:

Johnny, It appears that in some pictures have the counter balance on both sides of the rudder. Not a Lancaster expert but just going by some reference pictures I've collected. Your heading down the right path and hope I can at least follow when I start mine. Have other projects ahead. I don't have any special tools to bend the photo etch just some basic metal tools. I'm enjoying the progress to date.

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks for the info. 😀 I might need my guiding light @isaneng to pop a few pics in my inbox when she’s not flying around being gobsmacking.  If you do start this one let me know, I’d love to tag along. 😀

oh and get a bending tool if you’re thinking of getting the P.E parts.

Johnny.

Johnny follow this link to my flickr site https://www.flickr.com/photos/37128708@N00/ and the 3 Lancaster images are some of the reference photos I have. These 3 are not my images but got those from search engines.

Email me [email protected] if you have other aircraft you may have an interest in. I might have some images to help on your builds

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Evening Johnny,

I think what Ian means is the whole of the vertical tail fin.

If I remember correctly PA474 was fitted with Lincoln tail planes, compare your reference photos to the kit.

Balance tab on PA474 is longer and the actuators appear to be 'hidden', there's also a straight cut across

the base of the movable part of the rudder, rather than a constant curve.

Just to muddy the water further, PA474 fly's with Shackleton main wheels, if not the complete undercarriage........sorry..............

Think Ian and isaneng should be able to put me right!

Above everything, it's a superb build, continued strength to your elbow!

Paul

• Thanks 1

Johnny

Just to clarify . . .

Paul is correct with regards to the Lincoln bomber fins and Rudders fitted to PA474.

Its the actual rudder that has been extended, apparently it gave better stability.

On my 72nd Lancaster when I converted to the 1953 dambuster aircraft, I cut out the bottom rear-most curved section and put in a 60 thou piece and shaped to the triangular section and also put in a new, longer 'tab'

In this photo you can see it on the R.H. side fin/rudder . . .  .

42691886902_6073c24ba2_z.jpg

The port fin/rudder

27871990187_22544483a0_z.jpg

Hope this helps

Ian

ps

Shackleton undercarriage fitted 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1