"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Best of luck on both accounts Johnny. Was in a similar situation a few years back with a kitchen makeover. Wanted extra outlets in the kitchen but had to replace the old fuse box from the 60's, then could get the extra outlets. Was with out a kitchen for 13 days. Used a camp stove and an outdoors barbecue grill in that time. So Johnny chin up and press on with pride. Things work out one way or the other. I'm hoping to be back in the build phase in a week or two.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

Hi Fella 

Great work on the Lanc. 

I feel for you with the kitchen work we have had a similar thing with new consumer unit and lots of new sockets whilst we were at it.   It is worth the hassle though so stick in there and keep your chin up dude.  

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2018 at 10:11 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Chin up Johnny, all the kitchen grief will be worth it when it is all done :)

Cheers,

Stew

I do hope so. Thanks. 😀

On 5/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, Azgaron said:

Excellent work so far! :)

Håkan

Cheeres.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:59 AM, giemme said:

I concur 100%. 

Fixing the 1:1 scale things first, then getting some relief from modelling - that's how it goes :)

Ciao

Thanks for the support G. 😄

On 5/5/2018 at 1:03 PM, Martian Hale said:

I'm sure we have all been there Johnny, I certainly have. You probably can't do much over the bank Holiday so just enjoy the sunshine and chill out for a bit.

The Wise Martian 👽

Wise words indeed. 👾

On 5/5/2018 at 1:21 PM, Spookytooth said:

S*** happens at times Johnny.

But things will get better sir.

Simon.

Hopefully soon. 😃

On 5/5/2018 at 4:50 PM, CedB said:

^ Wot they said - in my experience the long wait in all the dust is well worth it in the end...

Nice new kitchen and safe  electrics! :)

You’re not wrong Ced. The electrics actually have now been done after 6 years of putting them off. I should really look on the bright side that it wasn’t the whole house that needed attention. 😄

On 5/5/2018 at 6:52 PM, AdrianMF said:

The new kitchen will seem all the nicer when it does get done. Think of it as a lo-ong drum roll before the unveiling...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks. I like that. 

On 5/5/2018 at 8:37 PM, massimo said:

Great progress!!!

the level of detail is outstanding!!!

Sorry about the sanding to be done, but...it's your turn!!!:rofl:

Thanks. I have managed bits of sanding here and there over the past few day. Just adds to the dust right. 😉

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Big manly hugs Johnny; hopefully the current travails just represent all the bad karma being got out the way in one fell swoop. :bear:

Thanks Tony. Fingers crossed.

14 hours ago, f111guru said:

Best of luck on both accounts Johnny. Was in a similar situation a few years back with a kitchen makeover. Wanted extra outlets in the kitchen but had to replace the old fuse box from the 60's, then could get the extra outlets. Was with out a kitchen for 13 days. Used a camp stove and an outdoors barbecue grill in that time. So Johnny chin up and press on with pride. Things work out one way or the other. I'm hoping to be back in the build phase in a week or two.

Ron VanDerwarker

Funny you should say that. I’ll post a pic of our dining room / piano kitchen -ette. 😆

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. Just make sure that the Lanc is wrapped up tightly against the plaster dust, it gets everywhere.

John

She’s up , up at the top of the house so hopefully no extra dust for her.

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Just catching up on this one John.  Wonderful, fine work as usual.

Thanks John.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Fella 

Great work on the Lanc. 

I feel for you with the kitchen work we have had a similar thing with new consumer unit and lots of new sockets whilst we were at it.   It is worth the hassle though so stick in there and keep your chin up dude.  

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris. I was in such a foul mood on Saturday. Feeling better today. You guys are great. :grouphug:

• Like 6

Thanks to everyone for the super kind words. 🤗 The floor guys were a no show Saturday and the plasterer didn’t turn up on Sunday so we made the best of the good weather and went to the Eastnor castle chilli festival. :chilly: (noooo not that kind) 😉 any way. We have another plasterer turning up in 30 mins. (Prey to the god of rock ‘n’roll) and new floor guys tomoz. I’ll keep you posted. I might even get some plastic sanded and glued. You never know.

have s great day guys.

Johnny. :happy:

• Like 3

Hello johnny,

Wow, must say "welcome in my world" since CC's bunker is just a huge Work in progress !

Plaster dust is annoying, but the way SWMBO consider it is far worst than the dust itself !!

Little by little, spadgent castle will turn into Spadgent Palace !

Hope that things will go more straight now ! As I'm doing almost everything myself, progress are slow but I did'nt wait for anyone but more money....

Will start our bedroom , new electricals, tear out plaster, ceiling and floors, got an TÛV rated insulation and so on...

Some place I still have electric wire made of lead wrapped in fabric and a kind of tar....

Sooo Come on Spad, we all are beside you !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

If I can add my tenpence to the thread Spadg; apart from the wonderful modelling and problem-solving which is inspirational as usual, all the other stuff will soon be over. My grandmother used to say; "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger". It's true. 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello johnny,

Wow, must say "welcome in my world" since CC's bunker is just a huge Work in progress !

Plaster dust is annoying, but the way SWMBO consider it is far worst than the dust itself !!

Little by little, spadgent castle will turn into Spadgent Palace !

Hope that things will go more straight now ! As I'm doing almost everything myself, progress are slow but I did'nt wait for anyone but more money....

Will start our bedroom , new electricals, tear out plaster, ceiling and floors, got an TÛV rated insulation and so on...

Some place I still have electric wire made of lead wrapped in fabric and a kind of tar....

Sooo Come on Spad, we all are beside you !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, I do tackle a lot of things myself but Mrs Spadgent would rather I didn’t so we get it done by. Ahem professionals. 🦄

good luck with your endeavors dear boy. Those electric wires sound older than even mine. Although I don’t think our house had electricity originally. At least you can rely on you. 😸 Fancy some plastering work? 😉

7 hours ago, Timmas said:

If I can add my tenpence to the thread Spadg; apart from the wonderful modelling and problem-solving which is inspirational as usual, all the other stuff will soon be over. My grandmother used to say; "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger". It's true. 💪

Thanks Timmas. True words. I’m getting stronger by the day it seems. The plasterer turned up at 10, a full hour late. 😖 looked at the walls for two to three minutes whilst complaining about working on a bank holiday. Said he dindnt bring enough bonding? Got in his van to buy some and never came back. I’m on fire with crappy workmen at the moment. 🤦‍♂️

hopefully we might get some floor tomorrow. We shall see.

i might rename this thread to cater for my 1:1 scale abode.

hope you all had a fun weekend.

johnny.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

The plasterer turned up at 10, a full hour late. 😖 looked at the walls for two to three minutes whilst complaining about working on a bank holiday. Said he dindnt bring enough bonding? Got in his van to buy some and never came back. I’m on fire with crappy workmen at the moment. 🤦‍♂️

Have a go at it yourself Johnny! Couple of years back I had my son's carpenter friend put up a stud and plasterboard wall to convert our lounge/diner into two separate rooms. After getting some ridiculous quotes for plastering it, I watched some youtube videos on 'plastering for idiots', decided it really isn't rocket science and had a crack myself. And not trying to be big headed I got a very decent result - even my son admits it's better than much of the plastering he had another of his mates (a 'professional' plasterer) do in his extension (although said mate does work for the local council!)

Good luck with getting everything sorted 

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think of it as a large model airplane and you have to use a lot of putty, then sand it down, etc...the same skills apply.  This started out as humour, but it does make some sense.

• Haha 2

No PE involved, either - plus it’s 1:1 so you don’t have to worry about scale.  What could possibly go wrong?  

[I too have been having workman issues - in our case some Bodgit & Scarper council contractors mending the pavement, but alos damaging our house at the same time - so I share your pain]

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Think of it as a large model airplane and you have to use a lot of putty, then sand it down, etc...the same skills apply.  This started out as humour, but it does make some sense.

The way I did, Mmmh it's just a fonderie miniature seam that need to be filled !!

And go on !

In my case, SWMBO is a really "hard to cope with" inspector !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

In my case, SWMBO is a really "hard to cope with" inspector !!

Not only your case, believe me - it's in the definition of the type ... :devil: 🤣

Ciao

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks CC, I do tackle a lot of things myself but Mrs Spadgent would rather I didn’t so we get it done by. Ahem professionals. 🦄

good luck with your endeavors dear boy. Those electric wires sound older than even mine. Although I don’t think our house had electricity originally. At least you can rely on you. 😸 Fancy some plastering work? 😉

Thanks Timmas. True words. I’m getting stronger by the day it seems. The plasterer turned up at 10, a full hour late. 😖 looked at the walls for two to three minutes whilst complaining about working on a bank holiday. Said he dindnt bring enough bonding? Got in his van to buy some and never came back. I’m on fire with crappy workmen at the moment. 🤦‍♂️

hopefully we might get some floor tomorrow. We shall see.

i might rename this thread to cater for my 1:1 scale abode.

hope you all had a fun weekend.

johnny.

Would it help if we got the Changing Threads team in?

Martian👽

• Haha 4

Thanks for all the kind words guys regarding the building work. The new floor guy actually turned up today and I have 50% more floor than yesterday. 💃 he can plaster too! Let’s see what happens tomorrow. Any way let’s get this thread back on track. I’m sure there was a lancaster here somewhere. Ahh yes we were masking.

28111485718_838b633acf_b.jpg

something tells me I should have put the seat in afterwards. 😆 

soon sorted with a little outside, the box thinking turned on it’s head.

28111486028_e1644c072b_b.jpg

as you can see all the little holes and that got covered with tape or sponge. 

The bay survived a few months under wraps.

28111485628_cc744639c7_b.jpg

The whole lot got primed. It’s tough to clamp this thing being so big so one side at a time.

the windows that I thought were so well filled weren’t bad but not great.

41083101905_45ca58d524_b.jpg

so out with Mr Surfacer 1000 and.

41083101485_3fedbc77b7_b.jpg

at least now I can sand!  Have you noticed the lack of rivet detail on the body?  I might add that on. I can’t belive Tamiya didn’t add it. Did I see somewhere in the mists that you can buy stick on rivets, in sheet form? Any hoo after drying I sanded...

41083101785_511825a09e_b.jpg

much better. I can micro mesh and re spray. Now let’s have a look for rivets. :lol:

Thanks for sticking with this. I did say it was going to take some time.

Happy Modelling Gents.

Johnny.

• Like 16

So you're also adding rivets? Ok, this build is definitely going to last a lot more than mine :frantic: :pilot: 😄

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Johnny, in this scale HGW rivets are your best bet if you’re looking for something other than holes in the surface with a pointy stick.  They are brilliant, but not shake & bake.  See part 1 of my never-ending ZE419 Seaking thread for lots of trial & error in making them work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you back on the bench Johnny.

Rivets? be careful on the numbers, you know how people can get up tight if there are not the correct amount/or spacing LOL

Looking cool sir.

Simon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Rivets? Pah! A man of your skills will surely drill small holes, insert a length of plastic rod and trim to size.

Won't take more than a few minutes hours days weeks months..... You know what, go with HGW rivets....

• Haha 5

Hmm, I've been considering priming mine sans wings, too. Your progress has pretty much decided me (I'll copy your idea for masking the seat, too). Same issue with covering the landing gear - it's going to get in the way of the wing priming.

• Like 2