"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Hello John,

Nicely done on the flaps, And the endless sanding on the inner wing, lots of plastic up there he Chap !

This evening, I'll take my lanc back, but I need some parts for working on my engine nacelles

One rivet, 2 rivet, 3 rivet....:rofl:

Will cut the rear door open, now I'll look for the right dimension because that door is far too big.

It mean more putty and sanding ahead !

Really good job John ! congrats !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hi, Johnny,

Outstanding progress thus far. Amazing work on the flaps and interior. I've been taking in all this progression and photos so I can use this to build one I have in the line. One thing I don't have is the PE products. My plan is to use thin sheet plastic and brass to duplicate interior. Also plan to get 4 engines and completely open 2.

Again amazing work.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Johnny, bit of dexter action and those flappy bits are looking spot on. Good job that man :)

I hope 'the thing' goes well...

• Thanks 1

Hello John,

What's the THING ???

A flight in the BBMF Lanc ??

Havin a beer with Bruce Dickinson ?? Or Mrs Nita Strauss ??

Am I the only one so nozy here ??

I will look for the right dimension for the rear door,

And for some views of what is visible from that door...

Ho no ! not the toilets please....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 21:59, f111guru said:

One thing I don't have is the PE products. My plan is to use thin sheet plastic and brass to duplicate interior. Also plan to get 4 engines and completely open 2.

Looking like this will take a while, @f111guru.

I think we'd all wish you well on this epic endeavour!

It looks like a major project doing it this way - with the parts 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 3:08 PM, Spookytooth said:

Nice going John. 

Class A`s? don`t know what you are talking about sir LOL.

Simon.

On 24/03/2018 at 3:09 PM, Stew Dapple said:

No, it wouldn't look that good if you were :D (I mean I think it wouldn't look that good :blush:)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks both. Don’t worry no brain cells were addled during the building this big un.

pickled maybe.:christmas:

On 24/03/2018 at 3:47 PM, giemme said:

Never mind, you longest build is going to last as my quickest... :chair:

More great surgery on this big beast! :clap::clap:

Ciao

Thanks G.  I’m sure that’s not true. ;)

On 24/03/2018 at 4:04 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello John,

Nicely done on the flaps, And the endless sanding on the inner wing, lots of plastic up there he Chap !

This evening, I'll take my lanc back, but I need some parts for working on my engine nacelles

One rivet, 2 rivet, 3 rivet....:rofl:

Will cut the rear door open, now I'll look for the right dimension because that door is far too big.

It mean more putty and sanding ahead !

Really good job John ! congrats !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Good luck with your one. I put the “real” Lanc bits in place last night. The door is the wrong size? Gah! I’ll check my references. I’m still bummed out about the windows but there’s nowt I can do as I’ve stuck Eduard stuff all over the inside where the window is located. I’ll try and fix anything else though.

On 24/03/2018 at 9:59 PM, f111guru said:

Hi, Johnny,

Outstanding progress thus far. Amazing work on the flaps and interior. I've been taking in all this progression and photos so I can use this to build one I have in the line. One thing I don't have is the PE products. My plan is to use thin sheet plastic and brass to duplicate interior. Also plan to get 4 engines and completely open 2.

Again amazing work.

Ron VanDerwarker

I do hope this will be of service to you sir. And good luck on your build. It’s a slog without having to scratch build all the extras.

On 25/03/2018 at 9:27 AM, CedB said:

Great stuff Johnny, bit of dexter action and those flappy bits are looking spot on. Good job that man :)

I hope 'the thing' goes well...

Thanks Ced. The “Thing” is on hold. :o

On 25/03/2018 at 3:45 PM, Martian Hale said:

Smashing work on the flaps Johnny.

Martian

Thanks bud. 

On 25/03/2018 at 3:53 PM, Steve27752 said:

Incredible, I am really enjoying your build.

Why thank you.

On 27/03/2018 at 7:44 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello John,

What's the THING ???

A flight in the BBMF Lanc ??

Havin a beer with Bruce Dickinson ?? Or Mrs Nita Strauss ??

Am I the only one so nozy here ??

I will look for the right dimension for the rear door,

And for some views of what is visible from that door...

Ho no ! not the toilets please....

Sincerely.

CC

Ha the “Thing” I’ll exp lane in my next post. Nothing aeroplane related, or beer or female. I’ll do some research on the door too.

On 28/03/2018 at 12:11 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Looking like this will take a while, @f111guru.

I think we'd all wish you well on this epic endeavour!

It looks like a major project doing it this way - with the parts 

Ditto. :penguin:

• Thanks 1

Good afternoon on this good Friday. It’s been a while I know. Sorry lads. There has been a lot going on over the past few weeks. Cutting a long story short, our daughter didn’t get into her first two choices for secondary school at the beginning of March. We missed the catchment by literally meters. :crying: we have been writing appeal letters for weeks now. And trying to get on waiting lists etc. Just as everything got sent off we had a phone call from the first choice school saying Matilda had been at the top of the list, they had, had some people not accept and would she like to accept a place! :penguin: :smartass: hell yeah!!! I didn’t realise we were getting stressed about this until the stress went away. So there’s one thing. It’s not “The Thing” “The Thing” was this.

27245537978_8bb6c9f18b_b.jpg

my smart car is dying and I was looking for something else. I’d got given the all clear to buy a defender, a child hood dream. We travelled up to Warrington last weekend to look at her. 1986 and beautiful. Unfortunately she looks awesome but there were so many niggles that the dream got postponed. (She drove like a boat) sooo spongy on the steeering. :( Luckily for me I find out that we might be moving office soon with no parking so I’ll probably get the train into the city.  Aaaany way enough of this. With pressure off I found some mojo and did some bloody modelling today. :rambo: I’ll post this then start writing about my plastic aeroplane what I’m building. :giles: 

• Like 8

Right oh. That’s enough of that here’s some of this.

I’ll mop up the last few days and finish with today. I decided I needed to move on so I did some gluing of plastic.

40223703875_87c45080a4_b.jpg

The nacelles went on. The fit is amazing, maybe it’s the new version but it’s ace.

here is the other side.

41118460691_a121be1f1a_b.jpg

Mr Berna say hello. 

Still a bit annoyed about the window I’m trying to fix most other things to make me feel better. Hence.

41075280462_e318b267a6_b.jpg

I used son of Dexter then some sanding action to get the escape hatch correct.

40223704045_2d2476d282_b.jpg

:yahoo: Before I forget I decided to put the “Soul” of this big bird in her wings.

41118462461_df4d234421_b.jpg

Thanks CC I’ll put the rest on the base with a plaque of explanation.

This part of the build is full of disparate parts just aching to come together. I can’t close the wings without fitting the UC soooo. Here’s a dry fit of the kit parts.

41075280812_246eb07887_b.jpg

then I remember that there’s a PE set for this. My initial thought was.:fraidnot: I went and made a cup of tea and reminded myself that this is all about the journey and not the destination. Even though the finished thing is great to have it’s not where the fun is. Soooooo.

41118459881_bc60e8ab31_b.jpg

sand, sand, sand.

40407827924_bfee798fb8_b.jpg

oooh one of three. B)

The first parts look so much better.

40223668285_2b87358a43_b.jpg

Here is another bulk head section.

40407824064_d7fd7752ac_b.jpg

such detail.:huh: some:hourglass:and effort and we has.

26247285737_ebccfe107c_b.jpg

to fit in that blank space. The only negative about PE is the silly representation of round things as flat things, like the tanks. So I scratched some.

41075281822_98020fda5e_b.jpg

mojo well and truly back.^_^

27245541328_aa65f4cfb5_b.jpg

how much better does that look now? How the kit part had not detail at all is bonkerers.

Here’s one for @corsaircorp the door opening photo sent by @isaneng shows the door to be too big by this much.

26247286937_985d627291_b.jpg

marked out. I’ll sort it out later on. ;)

here is a pic of the Lancaster parts settled into the wings.

39309573990_a0b3448157_b.jpg

here are the UC parts as they are before work commences tomorrow.

26247308257_161408a187_b.jpg

so nice fitting these bits together. I have the fire on and an drinking my way through these now.

39310241430_7261eb2b3f_b.jpg

so no more until tomoz.

Thankyou once again for sticking with this. It was always going to be a sticky one but I think the wind is behind me now. Have a great evening boys. Maybe it’s the centenary or the RAF or maybe it’s the stress lack but what ever it is I’m feeling a little more positive about progress now.

Take care y’all and as always brothers. Happy Modelling.

Johnny lupuloid

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Very nice work on the U/C bays Johnny Lupuloid.

The P.E. adds so much to those visible areas.

And the "Real Lanc bits in the outer nacelles " a great tribute.

Enjoy the bevvies mate.

Happy Easter to you and yours.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Like what you've done with the fire extinguishers - I think I'll do that with my build, too. Having ordered the new sprues for the pointed props and smooth tyres (my kit is an original run), I've had a chance to compare the old and new engine mouldings - the new versions are definitely better and I see your nacelles seem to be giving you fewer issues than mine, too.

• Like 2

Wonderful work on the firewalls and the wheel wells. Adding the good luck charms to the nacelles is a great thought. Once I get my work building completed I'll be able to get back to my hobbies. I've have a few unfinished kits and have 3 diorama bases under construction. Hopefully within the next 2 months I'll be done. Continuing with your build with great interest.

Thanks

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

Great progress Johnny.... back in the zone.

Glad stuff worked out for your girl, it does get in your head, a critical point like that ,

As for the Defender, what you need is a Bristol Bloodhound and a missile launcher to go with it.

You've already got the wee doggie!😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry for "The Thing" not going according to plans, J :shrug:

Terrific work on the interiors, though - and great to see some luppolous stuff around :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Matilda, huh...??? :lol:

He could go the Icelandic route with that..... Matilda Spadgentdottir has a certain ring to It!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 30/03/2018 at 8:21 PM, Spookytooth said:

Very nice work on the U/C bays Johnny Lupuloid.

The P.E. adds so much to those visible areas.

And the "Real Lanc bits in the outer nacelles " a great tribute.

Enjoy the bevvies mate.

Happy Easter to you and yours.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Hope you had a nice break. B)

On 31/03/2018 at 1:40 AM, Bell209 said:

Like what you've done with the fire extinguishers - I think I'll do that with my build, too. Having ordered the new sprues for the pointed props and smooth tyres (my kit is an original run), I've had a chance to compare the old and new engine mouldings - the new versions are definitely better and I see your nacelles seem to be giving you fewer issues than mine, too.

Thanks. Yes the new bits are a lot better. Glad the extinguishers are of use. ^_^

On 31/03/2018 at 1:58 AM, f111guru said:

Wonderful work on the firewalls and the wheel wells. Adding the good luck charms to the nacelles is a great thought. Once I get my work building completed I'll be able to get back to my hobbies. I've have a few unfinished kits and have 3 diorama bases under construction. Hopefully within the next 2 months I'll be done. Continuing with your build with great interest.

Thanks

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks. Sounds like you have your hands full. :o

On 31/03/2018 at 4:43 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job, she's coming together nicely Johnny, I reckon you've earned that beer :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew.

On 31/03/2018 at 12:13 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Great progress Johnny.... back in the zone.

Glad stuff worked out for your girl, it does get in your head, a critical point like that ,

As for the Defender, what you need is a Bristol Bloodhound and a missile launcher to go with it.

You've already got the wee doggie!😃

Thanks, yes feeling like more is getting done. It is a hell of a weight off that’s for sure, as for the Landy, I’ll keep my eye out. 

You never know.

On 31/03/2018 at 1:06 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Excellent looking details there Johnny. And there was me thinking "The Thing" was something John Carpenterish cropping up in your back yard. Phew. Enjoy the IPA.

Thanks Tomo. I’ll leave the ET stuff to our  @Martian Hale friend.;)

On 31/03/2018 at 2:44 PM, giemme said:

Sorry for "The Thing" not going according to plans, J :shrug:

Terrific work on the interiors, though - and great to see some luppolous stuff around :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thank Giemmie, I’m sure it’ll happen one day.

14 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Matilda, huh...??? :lol:

11 hours ago, limeypilot said:

He could go the Icelandic route with that..... Matilda Spadgentdottir has a certain ring to It!

Ian

Yeah! I don’t know if you have ever seen the film “Leon”?  We got the name from the  young girl. ^_^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning, egg people. Hope you’re all having a lovely few day orf. I’m headed for a dog walk in a sec but I thought I’d do an update beforehand.

Before I can start closing things up I need to get those Wells together soooooo this bit needs some attention.

40283257995_5518a6cea8_b.jpg

as you might have guessed there’s PE for this.:christmas: it consists of detail strips and wires, that need holding in place with expensive clamp technology.

40283254125_4945d4daed_b.jpg

:drunk:

next up the legs get assembled and dry fitted.

26306745907_421b9a6928_b.jpg

Not a bad fit. I need to pop on some more PE so out with the clamps, this time in a Salvador Dali esque arrangement.

26306746487_9a86581391_b.jpg

While fitting the last touches I noticed this schoolboy error.

41135021552_cdcea99cd9_b.jpg

yes you got it. The strut is on upside down.:wall: so in with some TET and a few panicked moments later and we’re all the right way up.  

Here are the twins with the extra struts added and awaiting brake lines and primer.

41179405161_2654f98b93_b.jpg

Now this PE part looks like it goes here but the wing shape is different in the instructions. I’ve looked at the Eduard site and it looks like they fit here.

41135020862_c9a9882526_b.jpg

so I built them, very fiddly.

26306745687_4c39af9933_b.jpg

I then set about making pie for dinner.

41135014272_1cb1178508_b.jpg

skipping forward to today I woke early with the hound and settled down to some lazy modelling.

Nurse, nurse we have a hole into the engine area!! The kit gets you to add the fire wall only if you fit the open engines so in Easter mode I fashioned some eggs!

41135013672_a2d1276a4f_b.jpg

and bunged ‘em in.

41135019122_6984db53a6_b.jpg

After this I stuck in the final PE added the brake lines and got ready for primer.

The old area needed a tidy, bits all over the shop.

41135017182_404c174223_b.jpg

soooooo a quick ten minute put away and we are ready for smelly Tamiya primer.

41135016332_c833403317_b.jpg

And here we are.

41135013102_02e319ebb3_b.jpg

well bases.

41135022992_9ebf649351_b.jpg

inner fire wall.

40283254035_763ab536fe_b.jpg

and a nice pair o’ legs.

i ended up not using the Eduard brake lines as they were flat so I made my own from wire.

these will now get painted before assembly into the wings and I can start thinking about getting this beautiful bird onto the next step.

Thanks for your lovely comments, hopefully I’ll get some more done on this rather wet bank holiday.

take care y’all.

Johnny.

• Like 20

35 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Now this PE part looks like it goes here but the wing shape is different in the instructions. I’ve looked at the Eduard site and it looks like they fit here.

I've found the various versions of the Tamiya kit are subtly different. Mine is the first moulding and some of the Eduard stuff locations I found by looking at other instruction sheets. This has been  useful to date.

• Thanks 1