"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

"To Remember The many"
The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Welcome Dear Brit Modellers to my next endeavor into plastic. let me explain what is going on.
 A month or so ago I had a message in my inbox from @isaneng asking whether I would consider building either XV298 or PA474.  He is a flight engineer who has in his own words "Crashed one and fly the other with pride"  I have never been asked this before and as anyone who has ever followed any of my builds you must know that in actual fact I know very little about air craft and I'm learning while building. ( its fun that way ):penguin:

As serial numbers mean very little to me I googled them and found out that one was a Hurcules and the other was the one or the two remaining flight worthy Lancaster bombers. Needless to say I was agog. I have always wanted to build a Lanc since I was a boy. My old man flew back from the Suez Crisis in an Avro York and he always tells the story of the engine setting on fire just after they took off and had to head back for repairs. I know it wasn't quite an Lancaster but It was close. 

Shocked and a little bewildered I looked at the Tamiya Lancaster I had bought for my 40th by my folks. It's HUGE and I needed a nudge in the right direction to start it and I think this was it. I got back in touch with Rich and he explained that he is a Air engineer for the BBMF, I said I had a Lancaster in the stash and would build it next as this seemed like the nudge I was after. He asked if I could make the "Phantom of the ruhr" as that is how PA474 was painted when he began flying with her. Kindly he offered to buy the decals but I couldn't let him do that. (very nice offer though) :)

Well over the past month while I have been finishing off my lightning I couldn't think of anything else but the Lancaster and bought a whole bunch of goodies to make her as good as I can possible make her. hopefully I can do her justice and I hope you will join me on possibly my longest build yet. I think this one is going to be for the long haul.

I'm going to be quite accurate but I won't get bogged down in little details if it means I stall. I have read many, many build threads on this kit and I'm aware of some of the problems. I can't fix them all but I'll try my best to make a worthy effort.

I bought the Haynes Lancaster book as a reference manual, I had no idea that PA474 was the main reference point for the book which gave me a little shiver. The photo in the Tamiya instructions is of PA474 and the kit was first released in 1975, the year I was born. The stars were aligned, Here we go. All I needed was a name for the build, flicking through the book this morning I stopped on the last page and saw this.

40051764102_04e7ebc732_b.jpg

I lay the book down to take a pic in the upstairs room and that familiar and wonderful morning light came streaming in almost giving acceptance to what I was about to undertake.

So please join me if you will on a bumpy ride of wonder trying to make a worthy dedication to those brave souls who never returned,  to the ones that did and to the ones that keep the legend alive today.

• Like 38

I can’t break with tradition so here is the box.

40051765912_0194cb0c03_b.jpg

we have a lot of bags in there.

40084508041_e4531b0f40_b.jpg

This I believe is one of the later boxings with lots of fixes and extra parts so fingers crossed I won’t trip over my photo etch and make a pigs eat of everything.;)

sprues go like this.

40051758052_e075c99f7e_b.jpg40084501771_2f022f9628_b.jpg40051750422_c929470e37_b.jpg39373447824_88aa9cc977_b.jpg

and the other clear bits.

40051750732_969fe0734e_b.jpg

The Tamiya decals and the new Extra decal set.

39185791075_e74b8f7f3d_b.jpg

those roundels are better but I might sprey them?

some more extras. Guns and etch!:penguin:

25212427597_fd285e2609_b.jpg

if you followed my Lightning build you would have seen I picked the BIG ED set up almost by mistake. Quite a bargain at thirty odd pounds. Inside you get.

28303898089_5af0bb46a9_b.jpg

Aaaand.

39373447764_9a6cb8d5bd_b.jpg

I also have this as reference.

40051750642_aeb2153c74_b.jpg

see the top corner? Yup just up there.

looks like someone’s feeling better.

40084500531_a9846babfb_b.jpg

looks like butter wouldn’t melt.

40057578171_25e4fc9514_b.jpg

:angry: it’s my own fault I shouldn’t have left it at dog mouth level. Still I can still turn the pages and see the pictures. :christmas:

so any way this is what I’m building.

39373451804_920c0d2599_b.jpg

And some lovely pics from the manual.

40051766372_2092ccdb37_b.jpg25212435537_43e44a3457_b.jpg40051765372_9d62ce1134_b.jpg

im not sure if I’ll do an engine out yet, I can’t decide but either way it’s going to be a humdinger.

I seem to have started but need to stop as I’m waiting for some tools to arrive. I’ve ordered a Bending tool for the PE parts and a micro saw so I can butcher the wings.:drunk:

I did build the seats.

40051761912_9baaedee48_b.jpg

there is a little chap along for the ride also.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to re shape one arm rest on the main seat as I accidentally knocked over my TET all over a few of the parts. Disaster averted it seems. By the way if anyone out there has built this kit do you know the skinny with the Eduard bomb rack thing?

25212434937_2841bddf59_b.jpg

do you clip out all the pegs? I’m guessing you do and attach the bombs to the new rack parts? The instructions are a bit light.

Anyhoo we are here.

39185794315_186378b4fb_b.jpg

a quick dry fit and all is looking well. Hopefully the new tools will turn up soon.

Thanks for stopping by on this cold Sunday night. I’m off to shut the chickens in. It’s going to be -2 tonight.:cold:

night night you lovely lot.

Johnny Lancaster.

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm here to make a nuisance of myself again! :bye:

Good job you tidied your desk Johnny Lanc, you're going to need all the space you can get for this one! :)

Keith

You’re not wrong there. Nice to have you on board Keith. 

Johnny, with PA474 being BBMF, you could do worse than quote the Nav. on the poppy drop 28-06-2012, the day the

Bomber Command memorial was unveiled. When clearing for take off the comment to ATC when asked how many on board was "10 POB (people on board) 55574 souls"

About covers it.................

Paul

• Like 15

Absolutely in for this one, Johnny. My grandfather was an air gunner in a Lancaster squadron, and my other grandfather was ground crew, while my grandmother's first husband was one of the 55,574. So the heavies have a special meaning for me.

• Like 3

As I said before I'm in here for that. I'm sure you willl do her justice as to the others. Looking forward to a PE/sctratch orgy here. Luckily there are many walkounds on the net for a closer liook (Prime Portal , etc.) Like that nose art very much although Ropey is my favourite. Cheers

And your one:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a Lancaster man through and through.

Phantom of the Ruhr is from my local airfield and I knew the skipper . . . .

37579506622_e1ddb70fa0.jpg

Officially there was only THREE bomb hook-up locations across the bomb-bay not four; Tamiya got that wrong.

Good Luck with the build, I shall be watching with great interest

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would looooove to do this kit, but lack of work-space and lack of storage says 'NO'. So I'll tag along to build it vicariously through you, if you don't mind.

• Like 1

Hello Spad !

Of course I'm in, and may be restart my own "Phantom of the Ruhr" She's a ton's up.

We already digged for 2 Lancasters here, the most moving was ED800.

If you're interested , I have 2 or 3 bits of another actual Lancaster,(serial PD Something, I will look further)  crashed in early 1945, no casualties in that one.

I can send you one to include it in your Lanc, I will do the same, the reason I picked up these little bits when the digging has occured.

Just let me Know !

Great idea for what will be a great build !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I had to sell mine before I came to France because I was limited to 2 removal boxes for my stash. 

john

:frantic:  Sacrilege! :frantic:  So what was so good about moving to France, then? :D Just kidding :coat: 

Ciao

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I think this one is going to be for the long haul.

Excellent.

Just what we like to hear.

I'll just bag a really plush chair to one side and wish you the very best of fortune on this. Johnny. :yahoo:

6 minutes ago, giemme said:

So what was so good about moving to France, then?

To be nearer to Italy of course Giorgio! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5