Max Holste Broussard 1/72 Scratch Built Masters & Models

Really looking forward to see how you deal with this hollow cabin. I think scratchbuilding  Hollow  spaces that can be viewed into through glazing is extremely challenging. I’m watching and learning. 🤔🧐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Really looking forward to see how you deal with this hollow cabin. ......

It's not going to be hollow. The whole upper cabin area is going to be a block of clear resin. For the framed display models I was originally commissioned to build, an interior wasn't a requirement.

It's not impossible to adapt my patterns for hollow, but right now that's not a priority.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

The window frames were glued to the cabin today and the cabin bolted back onto the rest of the fuselage to allow blending of the two parts. To do this I had to open up he holes in the underside of the cabin, and epoxy some M3 nuts into the bottom. This would allow bolts to pass through the holes still in the main part of the fuselage to hold it firmly in place for filling and sanding. There was other stuff going on today so didn't get much else done. 

broussard087.jpg

Building the windscreen frames will be next around the front, and the first of the side windows needs an additional small dividing frame that runs parallel to the sloping front edge.

broussard088.jpg

Since I'm back at Breighton this weekend, I'm taking the pattern along in its current state and will see if I can generate any more interest for one, assembled or in kit form.

broussard089.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
Spelling - missed letter
  • Like 5

The fuselage top extends over the centre wing section. This required an area building up on top of the wing. Electrician's tape was used to control the area where the filler would be applied.

broussard090.jpg

I also started cutting and gluing microstrip for the front framing.

broussard091.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The centre frame is now glued on, but the rounded corners on the frames haven't been reproduced yet. The rear fuselage also needed building up a little to blend smoothly into the wing. The layer of filler is only around 0.5mm thick.

broussard092.jpg

The filler needs a little more work yet, but I ran out of time to do much more, and wanted it presentable for the weekend event rather than plastered in unsanded filler.

broussard093.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing more exciting to report other than some more filling and sanding. With my wife and daughter going camping with some friends for a few days last week, it completely escaped my mind that it is now school holidays and I'll also have child care eating into some of my time. I should still be able to make some progress, as the days when wifey is off work, she'll probably take little legs out and about.

From the start, I knew that hand making patterns wasn't going to be a quick project.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No real progress over the last few weeks. A week away on holiday and still doing childcare because of the school holidays means I'm not realistically able to do anything until the schools go back at the start of September. The bits and pieces on the My Little Pony railroad is about as much as I can manage while my daughter is around.

• Like 2

Time today was split between a customer's Pitts Special and the Broussard. On Bruce, I was working on the intakes on the cowling. This strip of styrene will form the carb intake, but as it needed to be slightly thicker, it was glued to a larger sheet of 0.25mm styrene. Once hardened, it would be cut out and trimmed to shape. This would also involve heating one end with a soldering iron to allow it to curve over the front edge of the cowl.

broussard094.jpg

The oil cooler was to be part styrene and part modelling resin. There was a flat strip of styrene that needed to be glued to the bottom of the cowl first, with the resin part on that. At around 4mm wide, it was a nightmare to hold and sand with my sausage fingers!

broussard095.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

Bruce is currently sharing the bench with a 1/48 scale Pitts Special.

broussard098.jpg

Fancying a bit of a change of pace, I had a go at scribing the panels on the wings. Bottom first, and when that went ok, moved onto the top.

broussard099.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm plodding on with 'Bruce' and got the tailplane panels scribed today, but in general, there's nothing exciting to report, so no pictures for now. The last few military vehicle events of the season, lecture preparations for a WW2 experience visit to my local primary school and the customers Pitts Special is also dividing my time.

• Like 1