Max Holste Broussard 1/72 Scratch Built Masters & Models

The rear part of the cowl was then sanded to the brass template and then some P38 filler carefully applied to allow the front and rear to be blended. This will probably take two or three applications to sand and fill any low spots. It's going to require some careful sanding.

broussard078.jpg

I couldn't proceed until the filler cured, and as it was close to school chucking out time, I packed up and went to collect my daughter, but not before another feel good picture. I was very happy with the way it was looking.

broussard079.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Without a doubt, that's a Broussard! Looks fantastic all together there. :thumbsup:

Hep, she is looking superb!!! She’ll look great in a Senegalese scheme,  or Malagasy, or .... or ........

Martin

Friday afternoon was spent filling and sanding the cowl.

broussard080.jpg

The postman also brought the Broussard decals that JamesP kindly sent me. While these decals won't be used on the first two models of the Breighton based Broussard, they are a useful reference source for the size of some of the smaller markings and stencils. This should help with the graphics for my own decals.

broussard081.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

Nice work! That looks like a remarkably precise and thorough job. The modelboard material looks very interesting too - I have dallied with blue insulation foam, but this looks a lot more precise. I find balsa a bit too vague for modelling larger pieces and plastic card too much like hard work for thicker sections.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Modelboard is far more dense than styrofoam. More like epoxy or polyester resin with a light weight filler powder mixed in. It has a slight grain to it like styrofoam, but much finer.

The only progress this week has been priming and filling.

broussard082.jpg

broussard083.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 11

There's probably going to be a bit of a pause or slow down on this for a little while, as I need to do some building work on the house. Yesterday I discovered it was raining on one of my Jeeps inside the garage, despite being sunny outside! It turns out the shower was leaking from the extension above. That was brought about by movement in the upstairs extension floor joists sagging, partly because they also support a suspended floor/storage area in the garage. The twelve feet span joists have only sagged perhaps 3/16 of an inch at worst over 14 years, but that's opened up silicone joints etc., causing the leak. So I need to rework the garage storage and put a steel joist in to support the upstairs floor again. My workshop is likely to be monopolised storing stuff while the repairs are made.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

This is very interesting, and parallels things I have been doing with 1/72 WW1 biplanes.  I've made almost everything: wings, engines and various small parts either from scratch or by modifying cloned parts from standard manufacturers, all ultimately cast in polyurethane (with moulds for posterity)....but I've yet to do a scratch fuselage.  The reason?  The external shape is easy, but how to hollow it with a thin wall?

5 hours ago, teleblaster said:

......but how to hollow it with a thin wall?

I guess it depends on the aircraft, but you could make the fuselage solid except for the cockpit/other openings which could be made from smaller, possibly multi-part sections.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, teleblaster said:

This is very interesting, and parallels things I have been doing with 1/72 WW1 biplanes.  I've made almost everything: wings, engines and various small parts either from scratch or by modifying cloned parts from standard manufacturers, all ultimately cast in polyurethane (with moulds for posterity)....but I've yet to do a scratch fuselage.  The reason?  The external shape is easy, but how to hollow it with a thin wall?

You may use calibrated wax, like in this video:

Its bad news about the home repairs, I hate it when that stuff interferes with MY stuff

This introduction to model board is likely to change a few lives on the scratch building front

If I'd knyow the stuff when I built my Sherpa it would have been a different beast altogether

Good luck with the fix

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've almost got the garage/bathroom repairs completed now, with just the shower to re-silicone and put back together again, so hopefully I'll be back to the Broussard again soon. There's been so many distractions over the last couple of months in addition to the garage work. So apart from the shower and the discovery of a wasp nest in the cavity wall by the back door yesterday ( another distraction! ), I'm within sight of getting back to building.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I've almost got the garage/bathroom repairs completed now, with just the shower to re-silicone and put back together again, so hopefully I'll be back to the Broussard again soon. There's been so many distractions over the last couple of months in addition to the garage work. So apart from the shower and the discovery of a wasp nest in the cavity wall by the back door yesterday ( another distraction! ), I'm within sight of getting back to building.

Great news all round, mate.

Martin

I finally got back to the project late morning today. The task for today was the cabin windows. For this I planned to cut them out of very thin styrene which would then be glued to the side of the modelboard cabin section. Two over long pieces of thin styrene were cut, and cyano was applied in a tiny strip along the end of each piece. The two pieces were then pressed together until stuck. This left me with the two pieces fastened by the ends, allowing my to cut two identical parts. A print out of the windows was then attached to the plastic with double sided tape. I then sharpened the tip of my scalpel to a very fine point on a diamond stone, before slowly starting to score around the frames, one by one. The rounded corners were trimmed with a diamond needle file.

broussard084.jpg

The cabin block then had to be thinned by the thickness of the styrene so the overall width would remain correct. The block was wet sanded on some 240grit wet and dry. It is seen here being tested for thickness. On the final model, there will of course be the need to fill this seam, which will be between the normal resin fuselage and the clear resin cabin section.

broussard085.jpg

It was a fiddly job but I'm pleased with the way it went. I'm back at Breighton this weekend, so will have another chance for a close look at the real Broussard.

broussard086.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

Looking excellent, Steve. Coming together nicely. Real life always conspires to complicate things, doesn't it?

I haven't been able to attend any Breighton events this summer due to other commitments (mainly work shifts!), and can't go this weekend for the same reason, but I'm 'booked in' to give a talk on 22 Sep prior to the helicopter fly-in and might have an article or two published in forthcoming club magazines.  Watch this space...

Jon

• Like 1