Max Holste Broussard 1/72 Scratch Built Masters & Models

Cabin section today! While the firewall former is slightly narrower than the main cabin, it was attached to the front of the cabin block as a guide to the shape and size. The upper and lower edges were cut and sanded first.

broussard032.jpg

The sides were sanded next, running parallel forwards towards the firewall template. After sanding the upper and lower curves the brass templates were removed. Because of the saw cuts and sanding the ends smooth reducing the overall length of the front block, a new piece was cut for the cockpit window section up to the firewall.

broussard033.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The new block was cut along the horizontal separation line and the lower piece glued to the main cabin section. The firewall brass template was then screwed to the front and this lower part sanded. This includes a slight taper inwards towards the firewall. The upper part of this block was rough cut for the windscreen angle.

broussard034.jpg

The windscreen section was then glued to the main cabin window section ready for shaping. In order to get the fuselage shape right ahead of the glazing, the cabin piece was attached up against the firewall for sanding. A spacer at the back kept it against the firewall and it was screwed through the brass templates from both ends.

broussard035.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

Once the windscreen was sanded, a small piece was cut for the section between the firewall and the start of the screen. This was cyanoed to the brass template to hold it still and it was then sanded to match the firewall.

broussard036.jpg

The horizontal break line between the upper and lower cabin area was then covered in Sellotape as a glue barrier, the spacer and main cabin fitted together and a little thin cyano run into the joint to glue them together. This now just needs a little filling and sanding for the fairing that blends the fuselage into the screen.

broussard037.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

Can you tell what it is yet? I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far. It's not been particularly difficult so far, just tricky working with quite small parts and sub-millimetre tolerances. The cabin roof will need sanding for the centre wing section. I'll probably make the centre section as a seeparate part, rather than it being part of the cabin casting. So that and the tail cone next and that will be the basic fuselage structure done!

broussard038.jpg

broussard039.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

No progress over the past week. I've been busy finishing some other projects for an "RAF 100" event at the local aircraft museum. I also spent a day removing and rebuilding my Jeep starter motor - a job more fiddly than scratch building in 1/700th scale!! I hope to get back to 'Bruce' shortly.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not back to the Broussard yet! It's been a busy couple of weeks with other projects. I had seven models to finish for the RAF 100 event at the Aircraft Museum this weekend. They are now complete and the last delivered yesterday. Here's one of them, the Airfix starter kit Hurricane in a 20 x 16 inch frame. The guys are now thinking about getting some 607 Squadron decals made for Hurricanes as they were based at RAF Usworth where the museum is located.

hurri_2018_001.jpg

My Jeep also gave me no end of starting problems, but the issue was inconsistent. I'd bought two new batteries to start with ( it's 24 volt ) as the others weren't doing so well. The voltage regulator was cooking them. Then there was the starter overhaul. The fuel pump was checked, coil swapped, electronic ignition swapped for points and back again, leads and wiring checked, plugs, and dizzy cap. I kept thinking it was sorted and it started well, then the next day, it would turn over but refuse to fire.

With the first event now only two weeks away, I was getting desparate for a fix. There wasn't much left to test except the ballast resistor that drops the voltage prior to the coil. Earlier continuity tests didn't give reason for concern. This was now giving intermittent readings on resistance, so I used a jumper wire to bypass it and the Jeep immediately burst into life when I pressed the starter. It was removed from the firewall and while the resistance wire was intact, the core insulation was broken. I ordered replacements, one of which was fitted yesterday and the starting issue now finally seems to be solved.

I could have done without the time lost to tracking down this problem, but it did result in the starter overhaul which was also needed. 

2018_ballast.jpg

Here we are now at Easter weekend and off to London for a few days where my daughter is dancing at Saddlers Wells theatre. With two weeks of school holidays now starting, I'm going to have to do some child care on some days, but I'm really hoping I can get back to the Broussard at some point next week.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

Steve,

Well done for your persistence with the ignition fault - I hat snags like that though!  Ultimately, very satisfying when you finally fix it.

As @stevehnz has said, family comes first and that presentation of the Hurricane is unusual but impressive, certainly overcomes dealing with fit issues.

• Like 1

Glad you got the Jeep issue sorted. Always satisfying when you finally nail the problem. Like the framed Hurricane too! Neat idea.

Still munching the popcorn and patiently awaiting the next Broussard update!

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a very busy Easter holiday period, and none of it to do with modelling! However, my daughter was back at school today after two and a bit weeks off, so I finally had time to get back to the Broussard.

The cockpit roof forms part of the centre wing section. While I'll probably be moulding the centre wing separately to the clear cockpit part, I still need to shape the top of the cabin to fit the wing - and that required - the wing!

I found a block of resin which happened to be a little bigger than the wing chord and span and easily thick enough for both wings. After wet sanding what would be the leading edge on a flat bench, I ran it through the bandsaw, just slightly over size for the wing chord. This rough cut side was then also wet sanded, carefully measuring as I went, until the trailing edge was free from blade cuts and was the correct chord.  

broussard040.jpg

The bottom of the block was then wet sanded flat on the bench again, and the block run through the bandsaw once more, this time set to a bit over the depth of wing. The cut side of this this blank was then wet sanded giving a nice neat slab to work on. Next, the cut side of the remainder of the block was wet sanded so that too could be cut to depth on the saw, and its second side sanded smooth.

I now had two thin blanks for the main wing panels. This process was repeated once more on the remainder of the original block, and that gave me a piece to use for the centre wing panel with a bit left over for the tailplane.

broussard041.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

Both main wing panels were cut to the correct span and then clamped together. A styrene template was then carved for the wing tip shape.

broussard042.jpg

That allowed the tip shape in plan view to be sanded.

broussard043.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

The left over piece for the tailplane was then reduced in thickness on the bandsaw again and the leading edge and rudder cutouts made. Neither the wing or tailplane have their aerofoil sections sanded yet. Even like this, it's looking quite Broussard like - which is a positive sign!!

broussard044.jpg

The components so far.

broussard045.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, JamesP said:

I think I may have some Model Art decals for a Broussard if you are interested. 

I'm thinking of getting some made, as I need at least two sets of the specific aircraft shown at the start of the thread. I'll also need more if people want a set with the resin kits ( if the project goes well!! ). However, if you can post up a picture, I'll have a look at them.

1 hour ago, Chillidragon said:

I've very much taken to that aircraft...  Is it going on general sale?  I really, really hope I can afford one when it does.

These are the master patterns for some silicone moulds. I've been asked to build two for a customer, and there are several members here who have expressed an interest too. So keep watching, and if the two prototype resin models turn out well, I hope to make a few more to order.

I'm thinking of getting some decals made, but may offer the kit with and without decals, for those who already have decals to use. I could probably offer the 300+ walkaround photos on disc as an extra for those who want to add extra detail. That will hopefully allow a price to suit a few different pockets!

A slightly out of focus picture of the tailplane, now sanded to section. That was the first job today, working up towards sanding the main wing aerofoil.

broussard046.jpg

I wasn't sure how thin to go on the trailing edge. I didn't want the master or the cast part to be too fragile, so I stopped sanding at 0.7mm thick. What do you guys think? Drop it down to 0.5mm?

broussard047.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1