Max Holste Broussard 1/72 Scratch Built Masters & Models

At the back end of last year, I was contacted by a friend who was interested in a couple of Broussard models. After a quick search, I found there were no current Broussard kits available and because he wanted a couple of models, the most logical option was to scratch build a master model, then moulds and resin cast parts. After a chance viewing of a thread here on BM, I found out that there were other people who might be interested in the Broussard too. I guess they'll have to wait and see how this turns out!!! :D  It's quite some time since I scratch built something at this size. I'm more used to scratch building between 1/6 and 1/3 scales! 

I've just finished a project, and another is nearing completion, so I'm just about in a position to start working on "Bruce", the affectionate name for the Real Aeroplane Company Broussard that I'm using as reference. I have some drawings and photos of the aircraft, but I'm planning a research trip to the aircraft in two weeks time for further measurements and photographs. I should be in a position to make a start on the master parts soon after that visit. The model will be about 7.5 inches wingspan and about 4.7 inches long.

Here's a few pictures of the subject aircraft that I was lucky enough to have a flight in last year.

bruce5.jpg

bruce15.jpg

bruce24.jpg

breighton24.jpg

@RidgeRunner @Wez @stevehnz @Colin1967 @fightersweep

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Woohoo! I'm onboard for this one! :popcorn:

And yes! I'm still signed up for a Broussard. (Commited as I've bought the decals!) Looking forward to following the progress on "Bruce".

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That slide into insanity, I'll see you down there

And we won't be there on our own either

Do you mind if I whip in and out, I have no interest personally in Bruce but am always aboard for a decent scratch build

Go on go on go on, it'll be fun

• Like 3

I had a very busy 5 hour research trip at Breighton Aerodrome today. I came away with lots of measurements and just over 300 reference photos of the 'Bruce'. Because I was working in the dull hangar, I shot everything in RAW format, so it's going to take a while to adjust and save each image to bring out the details to their best advantage. But I have lots of data to work with now, so it shouldn't be too long before I make a start on the patterns.

I'll post up one or two reference photos later and can make them all available to anyone wanting to do a Broussard in the future.

• Like 3

I'm very close to making a start. I'm just working my way through the photos and measurements taken at the weekend to finalise the size of the 3-view drawing I'll use for templates.

I'm much more practiced in scratch building hollow models at a slightly bigger size such as my 1/6 scale R/C B-17G seen below, but I did spend a couple of years working for a company that did a lot of prototyping for the MOD, building 1/16 and 1/35th military vehicle models and 1/100 and 1/200 warship models. I usually ended up with the job of making the helicopters, landing craft and deck vehicles which were all styrene and acrylic masters which were then moulded and resin copies made.

b17064.jpg

I'll be making the master patterns from 'modelboard' resin blocks - the green lump below! Scratch building should be moderately easy. All I have to do is cut and sand off anything that isn't Broussard shaped. What I'm left with will be a Broussard! How hard can it be?? :D

broussard005.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I'm very close to making a start. I'm just working my way through the photos and measurements taken at the weekend to finalise the size of the 3-view drawing I'll use for templates.

I'm much more practiced in scratch building hollow models at a slightly bigger size such as my 1/6 scale R/C B-17G seen below, but I did spend a couple of years working for a company that did a lot of prototyping for the MOD, building 1/16 and 1/35th military vehicle models and 1/100 and 1/200 warship models. I usually ended up with the job of making the helicopters, landing craft and deck vehicles which were all styrene and acrylic masters which were then moulded and resin copies made.

b17064.jpg

I'll be making the master patterns from 'modelboard' resin blocks - the green lump below! Scratch building should be moderately easy. All I have to do is cut and sand off anything that isn't Broussard shaped. What I'm left with will be a Broussard! How hard can it be?? :D

broussard005.jpg

I was just thinking "I know that name from RCMF"... now I'm sure of it :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I built a couple of Merlin "kits"  (Fokker DI and DII) along those principles, and that wasn't supposed to be a scratchbuild! This should be fun to watch!

Ian

• Like 1

I've spent the evening comparing the measurements I took with a tape, and those from the rules in the photos, with the positions of items on the 3-view I had. The 3-view isn't 100% accurate, though close-ish. So I'm now using my data to create a more accurate 3-view to use as my main reference for the model. Perhaps I'm going a bit overboard with some things, as a 3 inch measuring error on the full size, is only a 1mm error on the model, but if I start out with a drawing that is out by a millimetre or two, and my building accuracy is slightly out too, the errors will soon add up. This will hopefully mean my outline and angles will be right. Time will tell!! :D

• Like 2