Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - New Tool Airfix 1/48 - UP-W ++FINISHED++ and in the Gallery

PlaStix

Pleasure to behold Stix,paintwork is superb as usual are you going for the U/c retracted fully? I think if you could work it out how to halfway retracted it

it would look great!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Smashing mate, really nice job

Thank you Glynn.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Truly excellent work Stix.

The decals look painted on and the pilot is fantastic.

Thank you very much Craig. The decals were okay to apply and worked well with the Decalfix I used to get them to go around/over detail.

23 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Pleasure to behold Stix,paintwork is superb as usual are you going for the U/c retracted fully? I think if you could work it out how to halfway retracted it

it would look great!

Thank you very much Steve and check below. I had already decided to do them partway retracted.....great minds eh?..........

I have been doing bits and pieces on this project since my last post but I have also started work on my Tiger 1 build in the MTO GB so time has been split between the two projects. First off on this one I got the canopy fitted:

41240162654_780fdb6792_b.jpg

41240161654_1d10f939ea_b.jpg

I also got the undercarriage fitted - partway retracted:

41240158824_1c9f86ede5_b.jpg

41240159914_a6a1e4db88_b.jpg

41240160624_ac289d1eed_b.jpg

The small grill over the intake came from a PE set I got for the Italeri Hurricane I mentioned earlier.

A few general views - you might be able to see I have fitted the aerial wires:

41240159154_ce3d29e7f9_b.jpg

41240158104_54cff86ddf_b.jpg

41240157434_8e886ef759_b.jpg

41240156824_282c090f3b_b.jpg

41240156124_779c6f3cd5_b.jpg

A few bits and pieces still to do so I may get it done next weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 11

I too was quietly hoping that the undercart of this lovely Hurri would be posed somehow in this fashion. This is really turning out to be something special Mr. Stix... your neat paint masking is also something to admire. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice indeed.

Good to see that yours and Steve's telepathy is working well, and with great results!

Cheers Craig. Yeah Steve is obviously channeling ideas my way - now I just need some of that modelling speed that he seems to have!!

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job Stix, looking fantastic.

Thank you very much Ozzy.

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent Stix,really look's very animated with the partial retraction and that spinning prop!

Hi Steve, thank you. I have a video that I took of the actual aircraft taking off at the Victory Show a couple of years back. I'll post it on YouTube when I get this working on it's base. Hopefully there will be some similarities!!

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I too was quietly hoping that the undercart of this lovely Hurri would be posed somehow in this fashion. This is really turning out to be something special Mr. Stix... your neat paint masking is also something to admire. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Thank you Dave. I think there is something quite dynamic about these aircraft posed as if they have just taken off. The only paint masking involved on this build was for the red patches on the front of the wings. All the rest of the painting was done freehand using flat brushes and very thinned paint - I have a reasonably steady hand! The red patches were masked using Tamiya masking tape and I then dry-brushed the acrylic red paint on in several layers.

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Cracking job all round. Should look the business when up and running.

Thank you very much Mark and shouldn't be long now....I hope!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Back near the start of this project @Troy Smith very kindly mentioned he could find me a correct spinner for my project. Well he has been a true star - sending me a correct spinner and he also found me a correct 'knuckle' tailwheel as well! Although Airfix suggest the kit can be made as the restored version they don't include everything to make it accurate to this version - the spinner and tailwheel just being two of the parts that don't match with restored version's parts. Some bits I have added with bits of styrene and lead wire, etc. and I have found some things I could use in the Italeri Hurricane kit I discovered I have. The spinner and tailwheel couldn't have been sorted without Troy's help.

This photo shows the shape of the spinner and tailwheel on the restored aircraft:

39372714524_8caee7c285_b.jpg&key=74792fd

The spinner on the right is the one Airfix supply with the kit and the one on the left is the one Troy sent:

40205121020_72c02df363_b.jpg

Same with the tailwheel - supplied Airfix tailwheel on the right and the 'knuckle' tailwheel from Troy on the left:

28139376788_4ff74c406a_b.jpg

I managed to get them painted last night so thought I would post the photos this morning.

Thank you again to Troy for sorting these out for me. Hopefully I will get them fixed in place this evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Regarding the spinner and tail wheel are these common to all Mk.1s or specific types? There is a substantial difference and now I've acquired a Mk.1 Trop it'd be good to know I'm not using the wrong bits.

Cheers, M.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Regarding the spinner and tail wheel are these common to all Mk.1s or specific types? There is a substantial difference and now I've acquired a Mk.1 Trop it'd be good to know I'm not using the wrong bits.

Cheers, M.

Hi Mark. @Troy Smith is the man for help with everything 'Hurricane'. As far as I am aware - having done some reading after Troy pointed out the Airfix kit doesn't have the correct spinner for the restored version in the box - I'd say check your references for the actual aircraft you are building. Troy posted this link saying that - "as the above is a Hurricane Rotol unit (meaning the unit on the restored version),  the kit has a DH Hurricane unit and a Spitfire Rotol" and the information in the link will help clarify this:

From what I can gather some restored aircraft now have the wrong spinners compared to when they were originally operational in WW2....but Troy will know if this is acurate or not.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

Cheers, M.

It varies, depending on what you are modelling.  

The straight tailwheel is the usual Mk.I (note it's I not 1 ) fitting, and was  used on early Mk.II's as well.

They were retrofitted,  but most Mk.Is  that got them were by that point in 2nd line duties, and example is P2617 in Hendon, it has the knuckle tailwheel and 'bullet' Rotol from time in Training Command.

Some late Mk.I's got the 'bullet' Rotol

From photos,  all Trop  Mk.I's and Sea Hurricane with hooks, used the De Havilland Hurricane  unit. (the only exceptions is Malta, but Malta is place to find exceptions to every 'rule' !) 

The link @PlaStix put is the best guide available ANYWHERE I know of to the props and spinners,  as the forum has allowed various members to contribute, and allows editing.

The Hurricane does still very much suffer from not being a Spitfire,  and there are a surprising amount of gaps and misinformation floating about. 

Warbirds will use what is available,  and an awful lot more Mk.II parts are about than Mk.I parts.   Alos may warbird are based on Canadian built Hurricanes (especially in North America) and there is a specific Canadian only spinner,  as well as the use of totally non- Hurricane parts,  like that off the Lockheed Constellation,  all of which are discussed and documented in the link.

looking at the pics, the warbird R4119 may even have the later larger type 'bullet' Rotol,  but no 1/48th kit has this,  and this is still something I don't have a definitive answer to.

@PlaStix  it is my pleasure to send you a few bits to help add to your surperb build.

cheers

T

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

@PlaStix  it is my pleasure to send you a few bits to help add to your surperb build.

Hi @Troy Smith. Thank you for your reply, your support and kind comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Over the past few weekday evenings I have been working away and have now managed to get this project finished.  All the final bits have been added including some additional styrene bits to create the lumps and bumps on the top of the fuselage. Not sure what they are but they are on the photos so they have been added.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment and offer support. Thank you to @Troy Smith for his support and for kindly offering to send me a couple of parts which helped make my build more accurate.

My gallery photos can be found here.

More photos can be found in the RFI section here.

A few examples of the photos:

28187883518_2231dfff51_b.jpg

41340749974_3eb2242bba_b.jpg

41340748614_502cbc6688_b.jpg

41340745194_8d39c33338_b.jpg

This has been a great GB and thank you to @Col for suggesting and being the host of this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This Hurricane and it's overall setting is surely one of the most beautiful sights to grace this great modelling forum of late.

I'm out of additional plaudits at this time of day, however am suitably impressed by this great 3D work of art.

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This Hurricane and it's overall setting is surely one of the most beautiful sights to grace this great modelling forum of late.

I'm out of additional plaudits at this time of day, however am suitably impressed by this great 3D work of art.

Cheers.. Dave

Hi Dave. Thank you very much for your kind comments. As you say - the Hurricane is a beautiful aircraft and looks even better when in flight! :pilot:

Kind regards,

Stix

7 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Another jaw-dropping build Stix, beautifully painted and animated. For me, you have captured a Hurricane take off perfectly. :clap:

Hi John. Thank you - you are way too kind.:thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix