Rag-wing BoB Hurricane.

krow113

Thank you Jim and Chris - so the published diary is incomplete. 

Combining it with the link Chris provided, the bulk of the Canadian Hurricanes departed for the UK on May 25th 1940.  The Squadron itself boarded ship (Duchess of Atholl)  on June 8th,  leaving Halifax harbour on the 11th, arriving at Liverpool on the 20th.

The entry for the 5th of October does mention Pitcher along with two other Squadron pilots, each one bagging a 109 that day.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

A bit of info on the RCAF rag-wings:

http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_301_350_detailed.htm

Chris

I would not believe everything you see on this site.  A couple of us Air Force Associate historians have conferred on this topic and found too many assumptions have been made.  Find material by Jim Bates for the most accurate on the Hurricane. 

Patrick Martin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

I would not believe everything you see on this site.  A couple of us Air Force Associate historians have conferred on this topic and found too many assumptions have been made.  Find material by Jim Bates for the most accurate on the Hurricane. 

Patrick Martin

Thanks. I found this a few years ago and it seemed to be a nice source of info on Canadian aircraft. Do you have a link to Mr. Bates work?

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Thanks. I found this a few years ago and it seemed to be a nice source of info on Canadian aircraft. Do you have a link to Mr. Bates work?

Chris

Jim  Bates is @airjiml2  posting here,   you might just want to PM Jim directly, 

he did some posts in his blog

http://www.ascalecanadian.com/search?q=hurricane

HTH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Jim  Bates is @airjiml2  posting here,   you might just want to PM Jim directly, 

he did some posts in his blog

http://www.ascalecanadian.com/search?q=hurricane

HTH

Oh, that Jim! I've already have him in my favourites. I just forgot. I blame my advancing years and my over-abused brain.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/5/2018 at 5:38 PM, airjiml2 said:

Jack,

323 didn't get shipped to the UK until June 1940, as it had a accident in Canada and was being repaired by CCF.  It spent some time at the MUs in England and arrived with 1 Squadron mid September 1940.

I don't have any additional details on upgrades, but I'll tell you the photo with the Rotol prop was quite the shock when it was discovered.

Jim

Jim, is it possible to tell the type of Rotol prop - Spit or Hurri  style as described in Troy's link?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Dears,

Load of very interesting infos here !

I thank you all too !

I'm just wondering if UP-F from the Special hobby 1/48 is right, if not I will have a go for L2012 UP-V

Just left to know wich is the DH prop on these particular A/C

Hello Krow the Andrea figure look top notch !

I will look for a one like this one in 1/48, as my running pilot is dedicated for my future BoB Spitfire.

Your thread has spared from long researches, thank again.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Hello Dears,

Sorry, my mistake, The SH box depict N2400 as US-T, 56 Sqdn Rochford 08/08/40 with a DH 5/31 prop !

Will try L2012 UP-V Problem solved !

Thank again !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, AndyL said:

L2012 of 605 Squadron was UP-V if you're interested. 

Hello Andy,

Yes I'm interested ! I was searching for a fabric winged BoB Hurri !

If you have a pic, that will be great !

Of course, I will look for one on the web and in my books !

Thank you beforehand !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I hope I'm not too late with this - but among all the scholarship above, nobody has mentioned that the "L" serialled Hurricanes had - uniquely - five-spoke wheels. Airfix provide only the definitive four-spoke version, and the Spitfire tyre was smaller.

I used bathtub sealant to make a mould from Airfix's excellent Spit' wheel hub, partially drilled out the Hurricane wheels, and inserted Milliput mouldings. Took a few goes to get it right, but went OK in the end.

BD 30/5/18

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

one additional item: the PCM kit has the equipment bay on the starboard side (after- most rectangular panel). Apparently this was not in production until 1940, so might not appear on fabric winged Hurricanes. Hope this helps.

TW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BD1944 said:

I hope I'm not too late with this - but among all the scholarship above, nobody has mentioned that the "L" serialled Hurricanes had - uniquely - five-spoke wheels. Airfix provide only the definitive four-spoke version, and the Spitfire tyre was smaller.

I used bathtub sealant to make a mould from Airfix's excellent Spit' wheel hub, partially drilled out the Hurricane wheels, and inserted Milliput mouldings. Took a few goes to get it right, but went OK in the end.

BD 30/5/18

The 5 spoke we're also on the N**** serial planes, which were the first two production batches.  The 72nd Airfix Hurricane wheels are too big, try putting them through the wing openings!

6 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hi all,

one additional item: the PCM kit has the equipment bay on the starboard side (after- most rectangular panel). Apparently this was not in production until 1940, so might not appear on fabric winged Hurricanes. Hope this helps.

TW

A quick check of the metal wing kit shows this hatch.  Afaik they only changed the wings. I just posted about this in "all the Hurricane questions" but I've still not worked out how to copy links on this tablet!

Both the 72nd Airfix and Sword fabric wing kits get this right, the 48th Classic Airframes kit doesn't, and neither of of the 48th the conversions mention this detail.

The 144th Sweet kit moulded the early fuselage with the fabric wings,  though only the PCM kits has the 5 spoke hubs.

Cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where can I get new and correct wheels for the Airfix Mk.I. I knew they where wrong and the looked big. But I didn't knew that they where to big...

Cheers / André

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BD1944 said:

BD 30/5/18

Hello Bd,

Never too late ! Thanks for the Info, I will check my stock, I must have Spitfire 5 spoke wheels from Eduard...

Smell silicone now...

Sometimes Bathtub sealant result in banana shaped moulding 😓

19 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hi all,

TW

Thank you Tony,

Sure it help !

12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The 5 spoke we're also on the N**** serial planes, which were the first two production batches.  The 72nd Airfix Hurricane wheels are too big, try putting them through the wing openings!

A quick check of the metal wing kit shows this hatch.  Afaik they only changed the wings. I just posted about this in "all the Hurricane questions" but I've still not worked out how to copy links on this tablet!

Both the 72nd Airfix and Sword fabric wing kits get this right, the 48th Classic Airframes kit doesn't, and neither of of the 48th the conversions mention this detail.

The 144th Sweet kit moulded the early fuselage with the fabric wings,  though only the PCM kits has the 5 spoke hubs.

Cheers

T

Hello Troy,

Thank for the infos, This is one of the BM speciality ! Very helpfull !

I know that it can appear boring to repeat some infos but as the threads vanish in time...

It's a kind of permanent refreshing 👏

7 hours ago, Andre B said:

Where can I get new and correct wheels for the Airfix Mk.I. I knew they where wrong and the looked big. But I didn't knew that they where to big...

Cheers / André

Cool Andre,

I think that you have an answer !

7 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Thank you WiP !

Hannants will fell short of the item soon 😁

If I don't find mine, I will order it too !

Sincerely Fellow BM'ers

We really have the best model club here, that make me happy !

CC

• Like 1