1/32 Viper Mkii

I assembled this and finished the cockpit a couple years ago and just pulled it out of the box again. It came with a great resin pilot figure.

IMG_5286

The parts are quite thick and heavy in places. Mostly happy with the construction but there are a couple spots that will look weird if I done sort them out. Like the gaps below:

IMG_5288

I'm pretty eager to get on to painting and especially decalling. I think I'll mask and paint the red stripes, though.

IMG_5287

• Like 7

Got one of these in the stash but I want to improve some of my painting and weathering skills before starting it.  I'm also going to have to get a lighting kit from Warren for it.  You planning on lighting yours?

Ive got one of these sat on the desk next to me. Its been there a while as I cant decide if I want to use lighting or not.

I really do need to decide as its been sat waiting for me to decide for a while.

After seeing your build I am tempted to just build it as it is and save the lighting adventure for another build.

Interesting to hear about peoples experiences of the decals as that's one part of any build that I am most nervous about.

• Like 1

I sprayed a base coat of greyish white Tamiya paint and then masked the heck out of it to paint the red stripes using Vallejo. It worked out better than I hoped with crisp edges. There were a few spots where the red somehow got through the masking. I was able to sand some of it off thanks to the very thick base coat. Next up is future/pledge and decals which I'm really looking forward to.

Before I did the base coat I used Alclad chrome on the metal parts, gave them an oil paint wash and masked them.

IMG_5298IMG_5299

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, RACETRACK said:

love it! which white are you using?

Thanks. I mixed a bit of sky grey into flat white. I looked for a Tamiya paint but couldn't find the right colour without mixing. It still may be a bit dark.

7 minutes ago, John_W said:

Currently watching the series as a box set.

Looking forward to seeing how you weather this as the screen versions are severely battered.

I’m the same - just up to series 3 episode 19, those Vipers have taken a hell of a battering, when I eventually build mine I’m not going as extreme as they are in the show right now as it may look a little over done. I’m very interested that see how this one turns out. 

39 minutes ago, John_W said:

Currently watching the series as a box set.

Looking forward to seeing how you weather this as the screen versions are severely battered.

Seems like lots of scorch marks. I'll try using black pigment and see how it works.

39 minutes ago, John_W said:

The red bands are very worn and pitted, especially round the nose too.

I wonder if I can do some of the wear by scraping and sanding. I may give that a try before resorting to painting on the wear (I forgot to save some of the base grey/white for touch-ups and chipping:S)

really love the show,box set binged it all twice! Used a viper pilot name as my I.d  here! Don't forget BSG Blood and chrome for an out of the dock Galactica. As for the weathering on the viper, yep they do take a pounding but it might be cool to do it straight off the line..

1 hour ago, RACETRACK said:

really love the show,box set binged it all twice! Used a viper pilot name as my I.d  here! Don't forget BSG Blood and chrome for an out of the dock Galactica. As for the weathering on the viper, yep they do take a pounding but it might be cool to do it straight off the line..

There is Adama's restored ship that they are prepping for the Museum in the very first episode.

Edited by John_W
Autocorrect :(

I looked under the masking tape and noticed some hazing or scuff marks on the canopy. I really like the way the cockpit turned out and didn't want the view obscured. I had only used acrylic medium to glue the canopy in place so I popped it off and dipped it in Pledge floor polish.

Before - scuff city

IMG_5301

Then I went for it with chipping the red paint. I did a little bit with 1000 grit sandpaper but mostly chipped away with a sharp hobby knife. I was content with the results except for the bit directly in front of the cockpit, ended up fixing that a little later.

IMG_5305

So on to decals. They all worked out well except for the yellow insignia for the wings, only the most obvious of all. They were poorly registered and showed a lot of the white background. Here's one on a bottle of Citadel paint.

IMG_5307

In hindsight I should have just used these, instead I thought I'd be clever and cut our the insignia on the red stripe decals. I figured I could blend in the red with the vallejo I had airbrushed. Not terrible, but not great. After decalling I used gloss coats and matte coats to try to bury the decal and ended up with a foggy haze because of too much dullcoat.

IMG_5308

• Like 4

I got into a bit of a vortex of weathering with this. It's difficult to do lots of weathering on a light-coloured model, keeping things random, subtle and natural. All the time telling a bit of a story with the damage. Anyway, after a Sunday of washes and stippling with oils and acrylics, I called it done. I'm mostly happy. Had a couple scary moments where I hated what I had just done and tried cleaning sections with mineral spirits. I'll post more on the Ready for Inspection page.

IMG_5310

• Like 11

That looks superb.

I'm going for a factory fresh finish on the one I have here when I get round to it.

Just picked up a bottle of the pledge stuff as some of the results I have seen on the forum with the stuff are no less than miraculous.

Nice work with the wear and weathering.

18 hours ago, eureka said:

That looks superb.

I'm going for a factory fresh finish on the one I have here when I get round to it.

Just picked up a bottle of the pledge stuff as some of the results I have seen on the forum with the stuff are no less than miraculous.

Nice work with the wear and weathering.

Thanks Eureka. Pledge works surprisingly well, more consistent for me than Testor's gloss coat. I use it undiluted in my airbrush.

7 hours ago, fsssh said:

i thought pledge had become as rare as unicorn poop?

I found it at the local small-town hardware store last weekend. Maybe I should stock up, just in case it disappears from Canadian stores too.

Edited by Ted

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelter said:

wow that last photo of yours on the 18th really looks brilliant - one of my club mates is about to start building one of these for our team shows throughout the year

Thanks very much. Apart from a couple oversimplifications at the back end of the model it's quite nice. I'm tempted to get their new mk1 kit from the original series and build it with the landing gear.