Ask all your Sea Fury questions here

NAVY870

1 hour ago, gunzo said:

Hi

I am in the process of converting the Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury to a Sabre engined Fury, centred around a much modified Monogram Typhoon nose.

My question is the purpose of the inboard grilles just ahead of the Sea Fury wheel wells and whether these were likely to have appeared on the Sabre engined version?

Les

Does this help?

hawker-fury-sabre-la610-taxi.jpg

Trevor

That's the photo I linked to, I'm not seeing those grills there & doubt they would be at that stage of development, the prototype Tempest II didn't have any in its upper deck. The more I've thought about them on the Sea Fury, the more I think they must be a filtered intake for tropical conditions. :unsure:

Steve.

11 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi

I am in the process of converting the Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury to a Sabre engined Fury, centred around a much modified Monogram Typhoon nose.

My question is the purpose of the inboard grilles just ahead of the Sea Fury wheel wells and whether these were likely to have appeared on the Sabre engined version?

Les

The grills are the filtered air intakes and are not present of the Sabre engined aircraft as it has an entirely different layout to 

its induction system

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The grills are the filtered air intakes and are not present of the Sabre engined aircraft as it has an entirely different layout to 

its induction system"

I was hoping it would be something like that- it will make blending the new nose and wing intakes a lot easier.

Thanks for all replies

les

17 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The grills are the filtered air intakes and are not present of the Sabre engined aircraft as it has an entirely different layout to 

its induction system

Good info! BTW Steve- has your hand recovered from the Vengeance attack? Cheers, mate!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Being normally a WWII era builder, I am a bit adrift on a couple of Cold War era subjects. By the time frame of the Sea Fury/Korean War to mid 50’s era, would the RAN and FAA pilots have transitioned to the early bone dome type of helmet or still worn the WWII style of soft helmet?

TIA and regards,

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Here's a couple of Australian ones which appear to show the answer as being yes to both.

The first was taken in 1951 and the second in 1955.

SeaFury-26b-768x616.jpg

Bluett%20and%20McNay.jpg?itok=MlFdgfH9

Many thanks,

I am looking at an inflight build so I can see there is leeway.

Regards,

• Like 1

If anyone’s interested, the Aires wheel bay fits the Airfix kit just fine.  Thin down the lower wing surface to a more scale thickness and it drops right in place.  Unlike many Aires wheel bays, it’s not smaller than the opening it’s s supposed to fit!

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Greetings and Merry Christmas everyone. 

Now it would appear that an Airfix Sea Fury is currently wrapped and sitting under my Christmas tree waiting for a (young at heart) Rabbit Leader to rip it open in a few days time - finally my cryptic messages seem to have made sense to someone! 

With all this anticipated excitement I couldn’t help start doing a little research and was looking at the HMS Glory Korean War scheme as shown on the box top. Last night I found this British Pathe newsreel which looks to be taken from the same Korean War cruise as per the kits decals - 

Now I’ve taken a few screen shots from here as well as that famous front view photo of WJ236 and (IMO) believe that the side 155 pennant number should be in rounded font rather than the square type as shown in the kits decals? It appears that both square and rounded fonts are shown within this newsreel and the second image below shows the square type 55 on the landing gear doors (matching the head on shot) and rounded font on the fuselage sides. I cannot make out the serial, so am guessing this based of the 155 number only. 

So I was just wondering if anyone else believes that my observations are correct or do other photos exist that confirms the kits decals are right. 

I’ve not decided which scheme I’ll eventually do, however thought that this might be an interesting find. 

Cheers and happy Christmas modelling.. Dave 

31458987287_75c07706d4_b.jpg

46347570092_54f516f2db_b.jpg

45485978495_b13e8a0280_b.jpg

• Like 2

I would say that you are correct.

Looking through several books on Sea Fury does show a mixture  of styles eg WX655/152BR of 1833 NAS has rounded style on the fuselage for all markings and underwing serials are squared off style.

WZ631/101J of 811 is the same.

WJ632/155 OF 802 is the opposite with rounded underwing and rear fuselage serials and squared codes.

TF991/102C of 802 has yet another variation.Squared off underwing,rounded stencil style fuselage serial and 102C twice the thickness of the other markings.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that @Scimitar. Good to know that this odd squared / rounded code and serial combination seems to have been fairly commonplace for this time period. With those light sky underwing serials and this finding, there’s enough quirkinesses in this scheme to consider it as a possible kit build.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, Scimitar said:

Certainly are,like this for example:

schmoos-sea-fury-web.jpg

Wonder why they didn't paint out the 'WE' part of the serial on the replacement wing?

And there's another photo (not to hand) showing an angular serial under one wing and a rounded one under the other.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On the RAN 115 Sea fury (present day restored plane), I know the main color is Oxford Blue, the roundels are a lighter color of blue.  Anyone know which blue? 

Thanks...

Edited by DrScoles

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i cant seem to find an answer to this question anywhere so I'm hoping someone will have the answer on here. What colour are the seatbelts on the sea fury, i've seen build where they're painted a dark blue colour, but the eduard set has them as a tan sort of colour. So which is correct, or in my case more correct for an aircraft aboard HMS Theseus just after the Korean war ? 

14 hours ago, gareth said:

Hi guys, i cant seem to find an answer to this question anywhere so I'm hoping someone will have the answer on here. What colour are the seatbelts on the sea fury, i've seen build where they're painted a dark blue colour, but the eduard set has them as a tan sort of colour. So which is correct, or in my case more correct for an aircraft aboard HMS Theseus just after the Korean war ? 

Both were used during the service life of the aircraft. However the blue ones came into use later.

For a Korean war era tan would be correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Both were used during the service life of the aircraft. However the blue ones came into use later.

For a Korean war era tan would be correct.

Great, I can use the eduard ones in comfort now !

• 1 month later...

Folks, 

I'm coming to the end of my 1/72 Sea Fury F X build, and have a question about antannae. In the photo below of TF925 (JR/110) there is an antenna located somewhere under the starboard wing, not too far outboard as far as I can see. I have prepared something long & thin ready to attach, but may I ask politiely where I should stick it?

Many thanks,

Justin

112194e9-289f-4962-969f-2f1ef38cc118.jpg

Edited by Bedders

Here is the reference photo I used for the underwing aerial position...

A0lWRUl.jpg

Best gestimate onto the model was.....see hole prepared just aft of the 'curve' of the starboard wheel well.

gs4A80r.jpg

YqWLsCL.jpg

I also gestimated from a diagram contained in the Hawker Sea Fury Maintenance Manual - there appear to be two aerials there, one under the starboard wing and one under the fuselage centreline  - having trouble posting the pic.

• Like 5

See here

1963seafury3of4.jpg

Internet image

It gives the location of an IFF aerial immediately behind the inner undercarriage doors.

Can’t vouch for the veracity of the drawing but hope it helps.

Trevor

• Like 1