Ask all your Sea Fury questions here

NAVY870

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I can't find any images of Sea Furies from the 1950s with such a device fitted.

How about this one Chewy? I think it shows a safety strut in place?

Fury_02.jpg

From the very useful site (which I think you found?) on HMS Ocean;

https://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/Ocean_Keorea.htm

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Excuse ignorance, but isn't that the piston that actually pulls the wing down?  There doesn't seem to be any other obvious mechanism, but surely people in this thread will understand how it works.  The red safety lock would then be something put in place when the piston was removed for servicing.

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

but isn't that the piston that actually pulls the wing down?

This is from the BM Sea Fury walkaround;

Sea%20Fury%20B.JPG

The piston that controls the outer wing appears to be to the right of the safety lock. The piston is not attached (it looks as if its up the top) on the pic @Chewbacca posted, presumably as it's not an operational aircraft. The red safety lock remains in place until you want to fly, hence the RBF tag.

That's what I can see, but I'm not expert on Sea Furys. Hopefully someone who has more experience (@NAVY870?) may be able to shed some light here.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Intersting. It looks as if ths safety lock is fitted between two of the lugs which act as the load carrythrough for the front spar section. I presume when the lock is removed and the piston (that slim shiny rod?) actuates the wing unfold, that once unfolded, a pin slides through to hold the two sections of the lug togetherr, and the same for the aft lugs. Presumably that is done automatically, or perhaps there is a manual pin insertion?

On my manual wing fold, on a Sportavia Sperber (a very lightweight set up compared to this ! )  both the fore and aft pins slide through together once the wings are unfolded. The pins and their actuating mechanism are permanently  in place. I don't see anything similar here, which puzzles me, unless there is something in that rectangular box arrangement to push pins out front and back. 

If not  that, perhaps after unfold an aircraftman slides a rod in from the front ?  I'm sure I have seen that done in some other naval aircraft, in old pictures and film, but acn't see anything that looks to provide access.  It must be that recatangular box that has some sort of double action actuator within it. 

This is very interesting for my, also stalled, Sea Fury build ! 

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 2

Two answers for the price of one post :)

The wing fold locks hydraulically but the jury strut must be fitted to prevent damage to the hinge pins.

What people assume to be a 500 pounder in the Airfix kit is a leaflet container, hence the great big seam down the side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

What people assume to be a 500 pounder in the Airfix kit is a leaflet container, hence the great big seam down the side.

Did Airfix know what it was? Probably not.

48813411286_e2b7585698_b.jpg

And the converted drop tank has cameras at both ends.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Did Airfix know what it was? Probably not.

I believe they did, I worked with them on this kit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

I believe they did, I worked with them on this kit.

Then I apologise Airfix! Credit to them (and you) for accuracy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Johnson said:

Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury Bombs

@Chewbacca posted a very useful photo above in his post on RATOG colours above;

Fury_18.jpg

(I hope you don't mind me reusing your photo Chewy!)

It has a great shot of a 500LB bomb carried on a Sea Fury.

And it looks different to the 500LB bomb in the kit;

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1304&authke

I'm thinking about the length of the fins.  The circular fairing at the end of the fins is also longer.

Eduard's British 500lb bombs look more like the bomb in the photo, but there are still differences with the fins;

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1305&authke

Are there any ordnance experts (@Selwyn?) who can explain the differences?

What might the colours of the bomb in the photo be? A bit more varied than the Airfix recommendation of matt olive drab.

Cheers,

Thats a great shot of a !000lb bomb not a 500lb  The Markings on the nose are a bit hazy but it can only be one of two types;

It is either a 1000lb Semi Armour Piercing (SAP) bomb. Painted overall deep bronze green. on the nose a light blue tip red band  just behind, and further back a light green band around the ogive of the bomb.

Or its a 1000lb Armour Piercing (AP) bomb, same general colour scheme as above, but with a dark blue tip before the red band. 

I don't think there was a 500lb AP/SAP bomb in service at that time, these type bombs depend on kinetic energy for penetration and 500lb would be at that time be a bit light to punch through armour/concrete, especially from a tactical aircraft delivering ordnance from mid to low level.

Selwyn

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
edit to correct mistake!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

It is either a 1000lb Semi Armour Piercing (SAP) bomb. Painted overall deep bronze green. on the nose a light blue tip red band  just behind, and further back a light green band around the ogive of the bomb.

Or its a 1000lb Armour Piercing (AP) bomb, same general colour scheme as above, but with a dark blue tip before the red band. 

That's good enough for me, in fact perfect! Many thanks Selwyn.

CMK do a 1000LB bomb, looks very similar. Different front fuse?

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1309&authke

There are holes in the rear section (screws on?). Any ideas?

Cheers,

Just now, Johnson said:

That's good enough for me, in fact perfect! Many thanks Selwyn.

CMK do a 1000LB bomb, looks very similar. Different front fuse?

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1309&authke

There are holes in the rear section (screws on?). Any ideas?

Cheers,

Never a front fuze on AP/SAP bombs  usually a pointed nose/spiky affair

Selwyn

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

usually a pointed nose/spiky affair

Yes, that's what it looks like, thanks for the confirmation.

Er... any thoughts on the holes in the rear section?

3 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Yes, that's what it looks like, thanks for the confirmation.

Er... any thoughts on the holes in the rear section?

Bomb  tails come separately and are universal use, holes allow access to fuze/pistol safety pins  and let water in when used with a depth charge.

Selwyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Bomb  tails come separately and are universal use, holes allow access to fuze/pistol safety pins  and let water in when used with a depth charge.

:sorry:  Another question @Selwyn (last one, I promise Selwyn).

The detachable rear section is clearly a lighter colour, similar in tone to the blue front. Any guesses?

Cheers,

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

:sorry:  Another question @Selwyn (last one, I promise Selwyn).

The detachable rear section is clearly a lighter colour, similar in tone to the blue front. Any guesses?

Cheers,

Same colour, just that the bomb would have been open stored and weathered, the tails would have been packaged from new and kept in a building.

Selwyn

• Like 2

Just to clarify, we're talking about two different 'bombs' here. The thread above did get a bit disjointed and confused.

There's this one, a bomb shaped leaflet canister (that resembles a US 500LB bomb);

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1311&authke

Airfix include two of these in their 1/48 Sea Fury kit. And, for those who want real bombs, two British 500LB bombs.

And there's this one, seen in the photo Chewbacca posted above, and identified by Selwyn as a 1000LB AP or SAP bomb;

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1310&authke

CMK do a resin version of this. Looks OK (on the web - not bought yet) and even has the holes in the back. But not the pointy bit on the front, which shouldn't be hard to make.

Regards,

Edited by Johnson
Got a bit confusing, but OK now