Ask all your Sea Fury questions here

NAVY870

Just to confuse matters there are 2 aerials on the underside, the big one on the starboard side is for the IFF

The smaller whip behind the port gear well is for the ZBX

You can see them peeking out from below 647

RKp0iwL.jpg

Two further aerials, one on the outer starboard wing and another on the fin top are for VHF comms.

• Like 2

Having just started (and then stopped owing to finding a whole frame missing) the Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury, I have read this entire thread and must say that it is full of really useful info; my thanks to all those who have contributed.  My only real knowledge of the Sea Fury prior to this was being Air Officer of the Day at Portland the day that John Beattie force-landed in a field near Castle Cary and tore both the wings off the T20.  At the time John was Lt Cdr (Flying) at Portland so I had to break the news to Commander (Air) and the Captain

One question that does come to mind.  You mention that the aerial under the port wing is for the ZBX receiver.  I always thought that ZBX was another name for the ARI 5307 which I understood is a homing device and surely for it to be a homer you need 2 aerials?  

Edited by Chewbacca

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

One question that does come to mind.  You mention that the aerial under the port wing is for the ZBX receiver.  I always thought that ZBX was another name for the ARI 5307 which I understood is a homing device and surely for it to be a homer you need 2 aerials?  

It is indeed an ARI 5307 however my understanding of crystal cracker black magic is limited and I can only go by the schematic in the maintenance manual. It only shows the single aerial

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

And another couple of questions if I may.  What colour would be the inside of the camera pod?  And what colour the propeller hub/inside of the spinner?  Thanks

Inside of the spinner is Hawker yellow. Prop hub is a a dark grey, not that you can see in there with the spinner on.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

..just finishing my Airfix kit now.. two questions if I may please;

1/ looking at the various wing fold pics (as above) there appears to be no supporting strut to be used -although there is what appears to a be suitable indentation in the upper wing. Was there a strut to lock the wing open (not in the fold area I mean) ? there isn't one in the kit..

2/ the rocket pack fouls the footstep on the kit. The footstep presumably wasn't deployed with the pack in situ ?

..and a small contribution to the thread ..  from Flying Legends 2006 

SeaFurynico6.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

1/ looking at the various wing fold pics (as above) there appears to be no supporting strut to be used -although there is what appears to a be suitable indentation in the upper wing. Was there a strut to lock the wing open (not in the fold area I mean) ? there isn't one in the kit..

2/ the rocket pack fouls the footstep on the kit. The footstep presumably wasn't deployed with the pack in situ ?

Wing fold jury strut goes in the wing fold, the red bit in the below shot

b7Y5aNi.jpg

The footstep would clear the RATOG pack

• Like 2

Guys,

I'm building a Fisher T.20 without Pauls' instructions. Can anyone tell me about the rear cockpit throttle box please? I know the front one is in the 'normal' position on the left sidewall but I have a build article showing the rear cockpit throttle fitted to the left side panel. As the front and rear side panels are almost identical I think thats wrong - but I don't have a photo!!

Help!!

I have answered my question. The rear seat throttle box is also mounted on the left hand cockpit wall. I have seen cockpit drawings in the 'cut down' Modellers Data File on the Sea fury and now I can understand what I ma looking at and believe that Paul Fisher rather cheated with his T.20 rear cockpit by just fitting cut back front side panels. I now know that, apart from an elevator trim wheel and aforsaid throttle box, the rear cockpit was fairly typically bare!

But now I have a new question. Does anyone know how the periscope actually worked? I assume that the rear gunsight is somehow modified to 'see' the image displayed on the front gun sight? Answers on a post card please!

Thanks 

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got all the information I need regarding the rear gunsight and periscope, care of the Navy Wings Charity that now looks after all the former RNHF aircraft and the Sea Vixen, to name but a few. In fact they sent me some copies of one of the official publications which I have scanned to pdf but I don't think I can upload a pdf into this thread? If I can please tell me how because I think this information explains a lot that does not appear in Paul Fisher's otherwise excellent instruction sheet. If anyone wants a copy of the pdf then please PM me with your e-mail address and I will be happy to forward it,

• 2 months later...

What a brilliant thread 👍

I have just started my Airfix kit and this has provided me with lots of answers and inspiration.

can you confirm whether Korean war Furies would have an overall matt, gloss or satin finish? 

many thanks in advance Greg 🍺

Aircrew Kit - Does anyone know what the well dressed Royal Navy FAA Sea Fury pilot wore?

I'm making an old FROG Sea Fury in the FROG Sqaud GB. Link to my build here.

The plane (VR943/105, 804 NAS, HMS Glory, 1951) will need a suitably attired pilot.

I've found some great footage of aircrew from the time, but it's all B&W. Can anyone tell me what colour the pilots overalls, life jacket and helmet might have been?

Thanks

Edited by Johnson
Reference incorrect - 804 NAS, not 801

Wild guess, but I recall either the Squadron Signal In Action on the Sea Fury or an Osprey Aircraft of the Aces on Korean War Aces might have featured a color drawing of "Hoagy" Carmichael, the Sea Fury pilot that was credited with a Mig-15 kill, but believe now shared with another pilot in his squadron. @NAVY870 might be the man to answer your question.

Mike

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

either the Squadron Signal In Action on the Sea Fury or an Osprey Aircraft of the Aces on Korean War Aces might have featured a color drawing of "Hoagy" Carmichael

Thanks Mike, very useful. I have the Squadron book but he's not in there. I'm guessing you're right and he's pictured in the colour graphics of the Osprey book which is common for that series. Hopefully @NAVY870 will be able to help, otherwise I'll get the book, it's available pretty cheaply on Abe Books.

Cheers,

This is the only pic I have is these pair "spinning a dit"

From memory the overalls are green, outer helmet is silver, inner is light blue and the life vest is orange.

LsPZHJg.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve.

Most helpful!

Searching for HMS Glory Korea on the web I found some great films of flight deck operations on HMS Glory in the Yellow Sea, 1953. This one was excellent - British Pathe.

The film shows Sea Fury pilot wearing WW2 type leather helmets (brown?) rather than the later bone domes.

Cheers,

6 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

This is the only pic I have is these pair "spinning a dit"

"Check this out Nigel- I slide right in behind this unsuspecting sod for a perfect deflection shot, and it was my Number Two! Thought he was a bleedin' Yak, I did!"

Mike

• Haha 2

@Johnson

See if this link helps regarding your Sea Fury aircrew query- sorry they are b&w photos, only, but it was the best I could find-if I turn up any color references, I will re-post! I also found the second link. which isn't 100% true to your original post, but a neat reference, all the same!

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hawker+Sea+Fury+pilots&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh2ICZgoXkAhWwna0KHTZbBYYQ_AUIESgB&biw=1280&bih=654#imgrc=bNNPZVLAGaZp0M:&spf=1565877402646

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/hawker-fury---sea-fury

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

See if this link helps regarding your Sea Fury aircrew query- sorry they are b&w photos, only, but it was the best I could find-if I turn up any color references, I will re-post! I also found the second link. which isn't 100% true to your original post, but a neat reference, all the same!

Thanks Mike, some great pictures and the link to the BAe page very useful. But on your first link, did you see the pics of the aircraft in the scrapyard at Church Crookham? A Sea Fury T20 and lots of F-86 Sabres, enough to make you weep!

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 11:46 PM, 72modeler said:

Osprey Aircraft of the Aces on Korean War Aces

Hi Mike,

I bought the book very reasonably priced on Abe Books and there is a graphic of "Hoagy" Carmichael. Dressed in light blue overalls with a yellow 'Mae West' lifejacket. Part of the text reads 'He is wearing standard issue light blue RAF style overalls, with rank badges on the epaulettes, and Mae West'. The graphic shows him holding a 'bone dome', but the videos of Sea Fury pilots on board HMS Glory are wearing older style leather flying helmets.

Good enough description for my 1/72 FROG Sea Fury Pilot!

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Mike,

I bought the book very reasonably priced on Abe Books and there is a graphic of "Hoagy" Carmichael. Dressed in light blue overalls with a yellow 'Mae West' lifejacket. Part of the text reads 'He is wearing standard issue light blue RAF style overalls, with rank badges on the epaulettes, and Mae West'. The graphic shows him holding a 'bone dome', but the videos of Sea Fury pilots on board HMS Glory are wearing older style leather flying helmets.

Good enough description for my 1/72 FROG Sea Fury Pilot!

Cheers,

Glad I could help.

Mike

• Like 1

My old Frog Sea Fury on the workbench built just out of the box. Simple but not a bad kit.

I think the Frog kit could be made to an rather nice modell with some more time..

spacer.png

Cheers / André

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Andre B said:

My old Frog Sea Fury on the workbench built just out of the box. Simple but not a bad kit.

I think the Frog kit could be made to an rather nice modell with some more time..

Hi André,

The old FROG kit is pretty accurate in it's basic shape. I'm making one for the FROG GB build, here's a link if you're interested;

You could finish this as part of the FROG Group Build!

Cheers,

• Like 2