Ask all your Sea Fury questions here

NAVY870

43 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Passing interest in Sea Venoms? you're kidding me, right, Steve?

Mike

Whats your point?😎

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2018 at 6:44 AM, NAVY870 said:

The blue used on WH.588 and WH.589 was most definitely Oxford blue.

The repaint was covered under an STI as opposed to the normal RANAMO that covered the aircrafts scheme.

I had the opportunity to read the STI and can confirm Oxford blue was the stated colour.

Sea Blue and GDSB have been mentioned but these were American colours and the RAN at the time was using the British colours.

The aircraft painted in the 155 scheme in the lower set of the above photos (parked alongside Firefly 245) is not WH.589 but is the 

ex Iraq air force Fury owned at the time by a fine gent named Bruce Andrews. It lived with us at the RAN Historic flight for a few years

I believe its actually WE.729

Regarding the gear questions

Gear doors are underside colour inside and out

Main and tail wheel hubs are silver paint

Tail wheel well is Hawker yellow

Leg is underside colour.

Thanks for that information Steve - any thoughts on what you think is the closest to Oxford Blue as used by RAN in the model paint world? 

52 minutes ago, CJP said:

Thanks for that information Steve - any thoughts on what you think is the closest to Oxford Blue as used by RAN in the model paint world? 

I'm only a tablet and it's not ideal

Recently posted was that Colour coats RAF roundel blue, the dark wartime one, is matched by Bsc Oxford Blue. IRCC

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  will be able to add more on this I hope, 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Humbrol makes a Oxford Blue, it looks spot on for the Oxford blue used on Wessex 31's and is damn close to the

what was used on Sea Venom tip tanks.

I would be fairly safe to assume the Furies were painted in what was available, the RAN being a government department would be too tight 

to spring for a different shade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Bedders said:

Anyone reading this thread should probably see this: https://youtu.be/-HDQ7Na7xM8. Absolutely brilliant.

Justin

Had to wipe the drool  off of my laptop screen after watching this one! What a magnificent fighter- Sir Sydney broke the mold when he designed the Sea Fury!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That aircraft has the modified gear leg that has the tear drop fairing on the gear door

It has an additional oleo section added

vzpuXGD.jpg

(Apologies for scribbling on your pic)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Apologies for scribbling on your pic)

No objections from me as it makes your explanation clear.

For those who have forgotten what we are talking about,the bulged doors are visible on the photo of VX653 I posted in Post 34.

Steve,may I give you a gentle reminder of my request for pics of the gubbins behind those open cooling doors?

5 hours ago, Scimitar said:

No objections from me as it makes your explanation clear.

For those who have forgotten what we are talking about,the bulged doors are visible on the photo of VX653 I posted in Post 34.

Steve,may I give you a gentle reminder of my request for pics of the gubbins behind those open cooling doors?

Probably better to bypass the gentle reminder and go straight for the big stick if you want anything done :)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

(Bitten by the dreaded Vultee Vengeance, don't ask)

Been fiddling with the ground power socket on the Vengeance again, have we, 🤕Steve?

Mike

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Been fiddling with the ground power socket on the Vengeance again, have we, 🤕Steve?

Mike

Nope, same bite

third week of the blue cast of inconvenience

16 hours ago, Scimitar said:

just note that the featured aircraft has F-104 wheels fitted (Brake mod done to get rid of the air bags)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why, but I didn't notice the wheel hubs until you pointed it out, Steve! Reminds me of the B-26K's and A-26A's that were fitted with KC-135 wheels for the stronger hubs and superior brakes. How's the hand, mate?

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am in the process of converting the Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury to a Sabre engined Fury, centred around a much modified Monogram Typhoon nose.

My question is the purpose of the inboard grilles just ahead of the Sea Fury wheel wells and whether these were likely to have appeared on the Sabre engined version?

Les

Nope, if I'm understanding you, the two smaller equal sized openings on each side on the Sea Fury & Tempest II are the carburettor intakes, this was under the spinner on the Sabre Fury, while the inboard leading edges housed the radiator inlets similar to the Tempest Mk I.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Hi Steve

Thanks for a fast response.

The grilles I'm concerned with are on the belly, inboard of the carb intakes and would off hand seem to be related to direct air flow cooling of something or other.

On the Airfix kit, each of the two grille panels is around 10mm square.

Les

Pass, maybe tropical filters, the similarly engined Tempest II had them on the fuselage top ahead of the cockpit, but I think I thought the Sea Fury didn't have them, aircraft carriers not being that dusty, I'll defer to someone who does know that part of things.

Steve.