Ask all your Sea Fury questions here

NAVY870

1 hour ago, Brad-M said:

Greetings,

I received my Airfix Sea Fury a couple of days ago and I am very pleased with it. No short shot tail and the engine cowling has super fit too. I was wondering though about the raised rivet detail on the rudder and other control surfaces. Is this a mistake or a true representation of the real deal? I have tried to search for close up shots of the rudder and didn't find anything that would tell me either way. Not bashing the kit, just want to get it right when I build her.

TIA

Brad

Here  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235035325-airfix-sea-fury/

Martian

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I just started on my Airfix Sea Fury and I am a little confused about the colours for wheel wells, undercarriage doors inside, gear legs and wing fold 'interior'. Airfix wants them all to be painted in 74 which I understand from reading here is close to 'Hawker Yellow' (some kind of primer?).

Is that correct? Or should any of the mentioned parts be painted otherwise? I am doing WJ236, the Korean War version.

Thanks

Ingo

59 minutes ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

but I am still confused.

Welcome to my world :)

One of the problems is that nearly all of the colour photographs of British operated Sea Furies show restored ones which vary in colours to say the least.

I haven't come across a decent colour photo from the period which would assist you (cue for them to appear)

It is impossible to decide on a colour from a black and white photo as many of us on here will attest to.

I was looking at a colour photo of TF956 which was restored by Hawkers in 1972.

It has the Hawker Yellow inner faces to the undercarriage doors and wheel wells. Its undercarriage legs are silver.

Given that they built the aircraft,I would think that their restoration would be accurate.

At the moment I cannot find my photos of it in its attempts to solve the undercarriage issue at Prestwick in 1989. Thankfully the pilot was OK after bailing out over the Firth of Clyde.

Hope this helps a little but if not at least it has brought the subject to the fore!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Welcome to my world :)

One of the problems is that nearly all of the colour photographs of British operated Sea Furies show restored ones which vary in colours to say the least.

I haven't come across a decent colour photo from the period which would assist you (cue for them to appear)

It is impossible to decide on a colour from a black and white photo as many of us on here will attest to.

I was looking at a colour photo of TF956 which was restored by Hawkers in 1972.

It has the Hawker Yellow inner faces to the undercarriage doors and wheel wells. Its undercarriage legs are silver.

Given that they built the aircraft,I would think that their restoration would be accurate.

At the moment I cannot find my photos of it in its attempts to solve the undercarriage issue at Prestwick in 1989. Thankfully the pilot was OK after bailing out over the Firth of Clyde.

Hope this helps a little but if not at least it has brought the subject to the fore!

You're right of course regarding b/w photos. So I think I will stick to the Airfix instructions - may be with the exception of undercarriage legs and actuators....I might paint them some 'steel' colour.

Thank you for your efforts.:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread. As I mull over the best route to a decent 1/72 F 10 or FB 11, can I ask whether there were significant differences between the Sea Fury undercarriage and wheels, and those of the Tempest (aside from the door design of course)?

Justin

• Like 2

I had a discussion with a well known aftermarket chap about the same thing.

As far as I could work out the gear legs are pretty much identical (at least close enough for what we modellers do)

I would think the internals would be different to deal with the heavier loads on the Sea Fury

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

I had a discussion with a well known aftermarket chap about the same thing.

As far as I could work out the gear legs are pretty much identical (at least close enough for what we modellers do)

I would think the internals would be different to deal with the heavier loads on the Sea Fury

Just a guess, and I sure don't have the manuals or the real thing to fondle, as Navy870 does, but probably just the valving and pressures in the oleos are different between the two, as I would imagine a Sea Fury would have a much higher sink rate than a Tempest and would require less rebound as well, so as to not bounce and miss the arresting wires with the tailhook. Don't quote me on this one, as I'm making an uneducated and unsubstantiated guess!

Off-topic- How's the Sea Venom coming along, mate? Hurry up and finish so we can expect a decent kit someday!

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Off-topic- How's the Sea Venom coming along, mate? Hurry up and finish so we can expect a decent kit someday!

Unfortunately the Venom kit hasn't got a look in of late. My place of employment persists in wanting me to

do actual work like sending me down coal mines (last one was a vertical kilometre down and 8 kilometres to the panel

I was working in , great fun!) looking after the museum, drama's with my autistic son and my daughter Jessica presented us

with a new grandson.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

my daughter Jessica presented us

with a new grandson.

I reckon that merits a huge round of applause and many congratulations! Good for you and hope all are well.

Justin

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

drama's with my autistic son and my daughter Jessica presented us

with a new grandson.

Hope all is sorted with your son and congratulations Grandpa!

Pass my regards on to Jessica and her man.

I don't envy you being down that mine. I've been underground once on a rescue which turned out to be a hoax. The blackness is nothing like the movies is it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Not doing the Airfix Fury but the Fisher one.

Ok the Main gear wheel is hawker yellow.

Gear legs and doors are sky. Got that and happy

What about the main wheel hub colour?

The tail wheel well, what colour?

Also the tail wheel gear legs and tail wheel hub?

I don’t what to make any assumption and get it wrong. As we all know were assumptions lead too. Better safe than sorry.

I am doing an RAN Korean bird

Cheers,

BG

36 minutes ago, Brett Gibson said:

Hi all,

Not doing the Airfix Fury but the Fisher one.

Ok the Main gear wheel is hawker yellow.

Gear legs and doors are sky. 

So to be clear on FAA sea furies, both sides of the gear doors are Sky, i.e inside and outside surfaces ? 

Edited by gareth
it didnt make sense !

corsaircorp

hello CJP,

Sorry for the drift Crisp,

I want to do one of these Sea Fury, So look like USN dark blue but seemingly, it is not.

I bought a set for Australian Aicrafts colors and it's not the same shade of blue...

As I use to triple cross my info before doing anything wrong, I'll ask if you have an idea of the FS for these antipodean Sea Furies ??

Completely stained by the sun is tempting too…. But No...

sincerely.

CC

Hello CC - I have answered your Sea Fury questions here rather than mess up Crisps Sea King post -

The references I have refer to the dark blue Sea Furies as being Oxford Blue but to me it seems too blue & I used a darker blue based on Humbrol Sea Blue Gloss FS15042 I think - don't know what Oxford Blue FS number is but if you look at the following photos of WH588/114 & WH589/115 the blue appears darker than Oxford Blue & compare it to the roundel colour - there are also a couple of photos I took at Bankstown in 1970 showing how the blue weathered to a shabby grey - also shows all red Sea Fury VH-BOU

The top photo is from 'Sea Fury, Firefly & Sea Venom in Australian Service' Gillett

IMG_6986.jpgIMG_6985.jpgIMG_6984.jpg

The following two photos are of a preserved ex Iraqi Sea Fury that was on the Australian register in 1980's owned by Bruce Andrews - the blue colour scheme is similar to the in service photo of 114 &115 at Nowra years earlier - the photo below  I found in 'Wings Across the Sea' by Ross Gillett long out of print unfortunately - the bottom photo is mine at Cooma NSW mid 1980's.

IMG_6987.jpgIMG_6990.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thank you CJP

Here's the one I will do !

WP_20180522_20_53_38_ProWP_20180522_20_53_51_Pro

And here is the paint from the Life color set

WP_20180522_20_55_18_Pro

seem to look good to me !

And the 3rd will be this one..

WP_20180522_20_55_58_Pro

The 541 with that tiger camo is pretty funny, now I must find the colors since there is Nothing in the pack, no instructions or color chart

I will have a look at their website ...

Thanks for the info, I already follow that good threat !

I'll be back !!

CC

Hi CC - interesting to note the spinner and canopy frame were the dark blue colour in the earlier photos so they must have been painted white later in its service - I think the Sea Fury looks good in this overall blue scheme and will be an attractive model for you - maybe other BM modellers will have more information to add.

IMG_6993.jpg

This is my Hobbycraft SeaFury I made in 2003 finished with an Aussie decals sheet

CJP

• Julien unpinned this topic

The blue used on WH.588 and WH.589 was most definitely Oxford blue.

The repaint was covered under an STI as opposed to the normal RANAMO that covered the aircrafts scheme.

I had the opportunity to read the STI and can confirm Oxford blue was the stated colour.

Sea Blue and GDSB have been mentioned but these were American colours and the RAN at the time was using the British colours.

The aircraft painted in the 155 scheme in the lower set of the above photos (parked alongside Firefly 245) is not WH.589 but is the 

ex Iraq air force Fury owned at the time by a fine gent named Bruce Andrews. It lived with us at the RAN Historic flight for a few years

I believe its actually WE.729

Regarding the gear questions

Gear doors are underside colour inside and out

Main and tail wheel hubs are silver paint

Tail wheel well is Hawker yellow

Leg is underside colour.

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The blue used on WH.588 and WH.589 was most definitely Oxford blue.

The repaint was covered under an STI as opposed to the normal RANAMO that covered the aircrafts scheme.

I had the opportunity to read the STI and can confirm Oxford blue was the stated colour.

Sea Blue and GDSB have been mentioned but these were American colours and the RAN at the time was using the British colours.

The aircraft painted in the 155 scheme in the lower set of the above photos (parked alongside Firefly 245) is not WH.589 but is the 

ex Iraq air force Fury owned at the time by a fine gent named Bruce Andrews. It lived with us at the RAN Historic flight for a few years

I believe its actually WE.729

Regarding the gear questions

Gear doors are underside colour inside and out

Main and tail wheel hubs are silver paint

Tail wheel well is Hawker yellow

Leg is underside colour.

Passing interest in Sea Venoms? you're kidding me, right, Steve?

Mike

• Haha 1