Ask all your Sea Fury questions here

NAVY870

On 14/02/2018 at 6:56 PM, Skyhawk174 said:

Maybe I missed it but when I saw the sprue shots did Airfix miss the window for the other double light in the starboard wing?

We have a Sea Fury here in Alberta at the museum in Calgary so that is a good thing if I need to go get some detail shots. It has the two light feature.

Hi. Both lights are there, but there are moulded as solid plastic with decals to represent the lights. A puzzling state of affairs really. As each aperure is teardrop shaped its not  such a simple task to open them up- though its not too hard!

cheers

jonners

regarding the gunsight

I  mentioned here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011991-the-sea-fury-rumour-thread-2/&do=findComment&comment=2942852

The quickboost ones, 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48581

QB48581.jpg?t=

pic not really clear enough on the details.

Also, in a thread on Hyperscale

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1518513347/Re%3A+New+Airfix+1-48+Sea+Fury...no+gunsight!

You should look at the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire kit

February 14 2018, 1:29 PM 

All of the Eduard kits have the parts (J2, J8, J11, and F24) to make the Gyro gunsight as used in the Sea Fury.

The only Eduard kit that uses the Gyro gunsight is the Mk XVI. These parts are not for use in all other Eduard Spitfires, so you're in luck if you have any Eduard Spitfires in your stash. Go to the Eduard website and check out the instructions for a Mk XVI Spitfire. There you'll find the instruction for assembly of the Gyro gunsight.

Not sure how it was mounted in the Sea Fury; you may have to scratch build a mount for it.

Perhaps someone might want to dig out the relevant bits,   @Jon Kunac-Tabinor   most likely has an Eduard Spitfire stashed...

HTH

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

regarding the gunsight

I  mentioned here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011991-the-sea-fury-rumour-thread-2/&do=findComment&comment=2942852

The quickboost ones, 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48581

QB48581.jpg?t=

pic not really clear enough on the details.

Also, in a thread on Hyperscale

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1518513347/Re%3A+New+Airfix+1-48+Sea+Fury...no+gunsight!

Perhaps someone might want to dig out the relevant bits,   @Jon Kunac-Tabinor   most likely has an Eduard Spitfire stashed...

HTH

yep - its in the Eduard kit. There probs one in the new Airfix Mustang too - going from memory ( I've chucked the sprues since it was finished)

I'll dig one out when I get home ( from the Spit that is)

Jonners

38 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

There probs one in the new Airfix Mustang too - going from memory

looks to be part 09 on the clear sprue,  not very detailed.

but if the Eduard has 4 parts,  that would be better I presume

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

All of the Eduard kits have the parts (J2, J8, J11, and F24) to make the Gyro gunsight

a check of a Mk.IX shows the 'J' parts to be on the clear sprue,  (sprue A in my kit)  and F  is on the sprue with the tailplanes etc.

Hi All,

Having just bought this kit I dug out my copy of Sea Fury: From the Cockpit, and in a chapter written by Lt Cdr Sheppard  who eventually flew the RNHF variant (a decal option in the kit), he mentions in a photograph caption that the teardrop on the U/C door is an add on, confirmed by looking at the numerous excellent photos in the book of in service machines where it isn’t present but Airfix don’t say to remove it for the 1950s Glory version. 

Mick

Edited by mick b

14 minutes ago, mick b said:

Hi All,

Having just bought this kit I dug out my copy of Sea Fury: From the Cockpit, and in a chapter written by Lt Cdr Sheppard  who eventually flew the RNHF variant (a decal option in the kit), he mentions in a photograph caption that the teardrop on the U/C door is an add on, confirmed by looking at the numerous excellent photos in the book of in service machines where it isn’t present but Airfix don’t say to remove it for the 1950s Glory version. 

Mick

Does anyone know from which serial and/or when it started being added?  And, out of interest, what was it for anyway?

On 2/14/2018 at 12:51 AM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Landing light under the port wing - any pics anywhere? ( online I've found nothing).

Additionally...

39450663545_c024b07d87_b.jpg

39450664525_b0a12a9b61_b.jpg

and starboard:

39450665335_bd19492acf_b.jpg

39450664745_705401602d_b.jpg

Oh, and don't forget the air vent on the wing tip lights.  :D

39450667715_f9fcf86299_b.jpg

39450665795_3c346e058d_b.jpg

Edited by ICMF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 18/02/2018 at 7:49 PM, Seahawk said:

Does anyone know from which serial and/or when it started being added? 

I've no idea but it was on VX653 in the late sixties/early seventies at Lossiemouth. (note serial painted on wrong) TF956 also had it.

580878.jpg

• Like 1

On 26/02/2018 at 8:18 AM, Threadbear said:

Any ideas on a good match for FS16373 please?

According to the chart free with Airfix magazine this month there doesn't appear to be one directly out of the tin. I checked back my notes from a while back when I was planning an 803 machine and found that it was much debated here :  http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/Reference_ Article/Aircraft/Aircraft_Page/RCNSeaFuriesColour.html

(Sorry about the spacing..no idea how that came about)

22 hours ago, Heraldcoupe said:

I'm struggling to find images of the front face of the main undercarriage bays. 

Anyone point me towards some online?

Cheers,

Bill

I'll put some up later today

• Like 1

Morning Steve.

May I be a pest and ask if you have any shots of 'the gubbins' visible when the cooling vents are open?

I haven't started mine yet but have this mad notion to display them open

Thanks

Richard

Don't neglect the walk round pages on this site - there are lots of good shots in there, including some I took of an FB11 under restoration at Duxford (and therefore showing details of things like the gear and radiator / oil cooler that you can't see very much when things are buttoned up.

Top tip re the Eduard Spitfire XVI gunsight; I have a lot of parts from that kit in my stores box, so with a bit of luck...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2018 at 8:54 PM, Scimitar said:

Morning Steve.

May I be a pest and ask if you have any shots of 'the gubbins' visible when the cooling vents are open?

I haven't started mine yet but have this mad notion to display them open

Thanks

Richard

I do but I'm sorting through my stuff as I've been asked to write a review for a magazine over here.

After I've done that I'll put some up.

• Thanks 1

About the camera pod for WJ236 from the new Airfix kit...

I am going to ask a foolish question.  Here is a picture of WJ236 that got me going for a Sea Fury in the first place.

My Sea Fury s

I look at this picture as one not overly familiar with the Sea Fury, and I look at the parts in the kit for the underwing tanks and the bombs, and I get the idea that the larger 90 gallon tanks in the kit are/appear to be too large.  I also think I remember reading somewhere that the bigger tanks were not used on operations much, mainly used for ferry flights.  And so the foolish question: is it certain that this picture shows the big tanks, or the small ones?  And either way, how do we know?  Please do enlighten me, and thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers, Jim

P.S.  I have also read recently that the bombs in this picture are actually canisters for dropping leaflets, based I presume on the raised line on the right-hand bomb that looks a bit like the raised lip where the top and bottom half of the device mate up.  Same question- how do we know it's a canister and not a bomb?  Bonus points for this one!  :-)

P.P.S.  Ok, last one- what color are the underwing codes, and what is the answer based on?  I have asked this one before but no one seems to know...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

"my" aircraft

Doesn't this make you :jealous: and to compound the felony he has some other goodies there too...thankfully  for us BMers. (My nearest Sea Fury is at Duxford although there is a Sea Venom nearer at East Fortune.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1