Sea Fury 805 Sqn RAN HMAS Sydney Korea 1951 - completed

trickyrich

sounds like you're well on your way. Use lots of water and sand in a figure 8 patten and stop every so often and rotate the part a little bit, this will help with keeping it even. As much as you try to keep it all nice a level the way you naturally hold a part will imply a very slight bias/pressure to one side and can give you uneven results. I've been working with resin for years  and I still find if i'm not careful I can sand uneven (the same applies with plastic). 

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

sounds like you're well on your way. 

Thanks for that advice, I would not have thought of that, index finger probably wants to prove to my thumb that IT is more powerful...... But secretly my middle finger is laughing at both of them!

Well on my way you say? Go check out my post under new projects I think...... I made a bone headed mistake on my two MH-6 conversions, but I found the good side in the mistake, so not all is lost. Lesson learned, go very slow, make sure that the action you are about to take, is the right one.

I should have known better, as a carpenter, the motto was ALWAYS measure twice, cut once! That should give you a hint at what I did, like an idiot!

I really really really appreciate all the help/hints/advice you have given me. I guess I broke my own rule and got a little over confident/cocky. But a ten dollar mistake is far better than a two-hundred dollar mistake, especially for someone like me that is perpetually broke.

Now that I have nothing I can really start, it will be back to finding builds, drooling over them, then asking their trade secrets. Besides growing my paint/tool supply base, I am also working on setting up my work room. Its a tiny little space intended for a "live in helper/maid/cook", which I would never have. Even if I did, they would certainly lot sleep in a room smaller than a closet. So, today I am clearing out the space and getting it ready to be a tiny man cave, where I keep all my 1:1 tools, and my modelling gear. Will be nice to not have to drag everything out, set up on the kitchen table, only to pack it all up and put it back again. I bought my wife a Ducati 1199, not the real one, the Tamiya 1:12 kit, she want to learn to build too, which is really cool. She has very little patience though, so we shall see how that goes. I have the Yamaha R1M on the way, we will build them together. Should be fun, I hope.

Anyway, I am sure that I will still be lurking around, asking questions, I am certain that I have only just begun to scratch the surface. Last  night, after I realized my blunder, I spent the evening looking over items from an online retailer. WOW, they literally have a product/shortcut to create any type of scene you want, from snow angles next to a panzer, to dry cracked mud. Even puddles in the road, its crazy.

I did find a post from a guy that built the same kits I have, in a clever move, he buys cheap picture frames with cork backboards, they adds a bit of shrubbery, viola, instant diorama!

Talk to you soon, and if you want a giggle, check out my bone headed mistake!

Anthony

I've already been there, and left some advice. No matter how long you've been building models you're always learning new things, that's the nice thing about this hobby (addiction in my case!).

My hobby room is in the subbasement of where I live (sort of the exit to our underground parting area, the roof is only 5'6" and i'm 6'1" so bumped heads in the norm. But I have plenty of space...for now.

Yeah I've been told small picture frames a perfect for diorama bases, I've never really tried to do one, so that's on the "to do" list. On your thread there's a couple more links of resin models for you to look at.

• Like 1

WOOOOHOOOO I've just acquired another one of these!!!!  :yahoo:

Not quite as cheap as I got this one, but still a wee bit cheaper than the original price!

Not sure on the scheme yet, might be a Dark Blue RAN one and I'll cut the wings again

But this time it'll have brass pivots for the wing fold so they should be posable!! If I though cutting the wings up was scary last time, then this will be truly terrifying as I'll be cutting great big channels into the wings!!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I've just acquired another one of these!!!!  :yahoo:

Wow, that was quick! Guess you wanted to redo the wings badly, now is your chance! Good luck with the new kit, I will be following diligently, can't wait to see it thru. Hope the canopy is a bit more forgiving this time around, and since you did the rockets on this build, those bombs will look very nice set sit by side. Did you consider my bomb loading rack, just to add that over the top detail?

Anyways, thanks for all the help, it really means a lot. If you go to my boneheaded mistake thread, it makes more sense now, the original post got deleted somehow, so I have corrected the thread.

Are you going to create a new build log? Let me know when it starts,

Anthony

with this new one the build will be some way off for now, I may thought start making the new wing fold mechanism in free time. I have a A-1E "Fat Face" Skyraider from the same producer to build before the Sea Fury, and I haven't got any attar date in mind yet.

Will go over and have a look. 

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I have a A-1E

Is that the prop plane flown by Lt. Deiter, the first POW to escape and be rescued during the Vietnam War? Strange that you are building that plane, if it is the same one from his story. I was reading the story for no particular reason, other than wanting to know if the plane from the movie was accurate, which I never figured out, but a sad story either way, especially how he took his own life at a fire station when he found out he had a terminal brain disease. Really sad story.

Anyway, let me know when you begin your new build!

Anthony

no not that one (didn't know that story), haven't quite decided what scheme yet but one of the supplied schemes is for the A-1E flown by Medal of Honor winner Major Bernie Fisher. That is an incredible story!

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Major Bernie Fisher.

I will have to check that story out, don't know it. As for the Deiter story, the movie is apparently not too accurate, but you get a basic idea of what he went through as a POW. There is one point of the story I will share, as it is just too cool, so spoiler alert.

When he was rescued and in the hospital, there was a fight between who would be the ones to debrief him, the airforce who rescued him, or the navy since he was a naval pilot/officer) Anyway, the navy decided that they would debrief him, so they sent in a team of Navy SeAL's to rescue him from the airforce hospital and bring him back to his fleet, forget if that meant his ship, or an airbase operated by the Navy/Marines, but either way, very cool part of his story. He suffered terribly at the hands of the militia that had him in the camp, with lots of torture and almost no food at all for six plus months before he escaped. What ever they did to him, caused him to suffer for the rest of his life, until as I stated before, he took his own life in front of a local fire station after getting the fatal diagnosis. Real shame.

Anyway, can't wait to see your new bird, and with any luck, you/we can find one in the Deiter specs and build that as well.

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 6:14 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

Wing fold locks. Did you make those from scratch? If so, how in the world did you make TWO. identical locks with pins? Amazing!

Two questions for you, to add to the litany of questions so far. First, everyone talks about stretched sprue, but for the life of me, I have no idea how you do that without just setting them on fire and making stringers from the goop? Effective, but the burning sprue is nasty business. I know because of my teen years. If a model turned out less than stellar, I would ultimately give it the crash and burn treatment. Yep, I was that reckless and dumb. Worse, I would normally steal some gasoline from the lawn mower, dip a paper towel into the gas and stuff it inside the kit!

Finally, this isn't so much a question as a "love to see it" thing. I noticed that you built a very nice set of bombs, and with your scratch building skills, I would love to see them on a loading rack near the plane, just put an already awesome build, that much further into the sky!

Love the build, and you are making me want to sell all my kits and go big, or go home! I won't do that, as my current stock will make for some good learning and experience. Who knows, maybe with the frenzy of information I am combing thru, they might just turn out good, well, good enough for me. I willet you know if I start looking for gasoline and rags!

Cheers!

Anthony

Hi Anthony, sorry I had sort of forgotten about replying to this and all your other questions...but in the same instant remembered.....if that makes sense??

Ok I'm about to start a fairly major resin build, so feel free to hop on and ask away with questions. As it's my build and thread i'm free to waffle on as much as I like. No major conversion/correction work I hope but being full resin who knows.