Frog Hawker Tempest.

stevej60

Hi folk's a simple entry from me will be the black boxing of Frog's Tempest,I did say after the Matchbox GB I wanted to get back to re-visiting some

golden oldies this year so  perfect timing  for  this kit as it's on it's way in the post, probably will do a couple more old Hawker subject's later on 

Frog's Hunter is calling me and you can bet a Hurricane will turn up in some form.

40033870082_2df842f459_o.jpg

• Like 11

Hi folk's Kit arrived same box as shown, I reeled back in horror at the colour of plastic(so that's where the guy from Matchbox started his career)

bright blue.As expected not the most accurate Tempest in the world but that kind of add's to the fun.

40097537751_73ecf2da69_b.jpg

Inside was this slip,looks like a great offer only thirteen shillings including 6 months subscription to Meccano magazine as you can imagine

my postal order is on the way!

39198317405_44de076be2_b.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's Kit arrived same box as shown, I reeled back in horror at the colour of plastic(so that's where the guy from Matchbox started his career)

bright blue.As expected not the most accurate Tempest in the world but that kind of add's to the fun.

40097537751_73ecf2da69_b.jpg

Inside was this slip,looks like a great offer only thirteen shillings including 6 months subscription to Meccano magazine as you can imagine

my postal order is on the way!

39198317405_44de076be2_b.jpg

The perfect gift for children, the very sharp 3 bladed concealable knife !

As recommended by Ronnie and Reggie Kray 

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Any chance of a picture please Steve?

Will do Cliff,I,m off today so will be at the bench at some point,my phone's focus isn't working as of last night so popping in to get it seen to

later.

45 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Interesting looking kit Steve and I like the idea of the clear prop! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Well the kit dates from the early sixties Stix and this boxing is pre 1971 which is fine as the earlier the boxing the better the mold quality all you then need to

contend with is the original errors and usually useless decal's,I've cut the main part's off ready and have to say a dry run shows excellent fit,decal's are no real

use and the spare set I thought I had has gone AWOL but crossing that bridge later.

• Like 1

Great choice  nice retro kit,  i cut my teeth on frog kits although they were molded in black styrene back in the day  from what i remember, my local shop only stocked 1/72  frog, and matchbox  1 /48 kits, my pocket  money would only stretch to the frog kits not that I was in the slightest bit bothered i was only interested in ww2 aircraft then, match box kits in the shop were a bit of a mix n match but i digress, look forward  to seeing you knock it into shape Steve 

Glynn 

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Great choice  nice retro kit,  i cut my teeth on frog kits although they were molded in black styrene back in the day  from what i remember, my local shop only stocked 1/72  frog, and matchbox  1 /48 kits, my pocket  money would only stretch to the frog kits not that I was in the slightest bit bothered i was only interested in ww2 aircraft then, match box kits in the shop were a bit of a mix n match but i digress, look forward  to seeing you knock it into shape Steve 

Glynn 

Must have been where I lived Glynn,although a small town Airfix,Matchbox and Revell were readily available at the hardware store and newsagents.Frog

kits could only be got at the Model shop in Newcastle,by the time I was old enough to go there by myself frog were no longer on the go so as far as I can remember

until now I only ever built the Canberra and Blenhiem way back in the early seventies,I remember having to get Dad to send the slip off for replacement fuselage

halves for the Canberra as they were warped and recieving a whole new kit!

• Like 1

Looking forward to your build.  I hope you are not going to ignore the V-1 one that came with the kit.  It represents a prototype V-1 (notice the front motor mount arrangement) and is actually a very nice little bonus.  

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK

10 hours ago, Greg in OK said:

Looking forward to your build.  I hope you are not going to ignore the V-1 one that came with the kit.  It represents a prototype V-1 (notice the front motor mount arrangement) and is actually a very little bonus.  

Greg in OK

Hi Greg,sadly this kit has no V1 I think that was the Spitfire which had a double stand to show it chasing it,although I have the very kit on my to do 

list for the year!

I built the FROG Tempest way back in the late 60's but I don't remember it having a clear disc to use for the rotating prop. This is my instruction sheet from that kit. I guess you could interpret the directions as having you place a clear disc on it, but I've always assumed it was showing that the prop would rotate if installed properly.

Temp001-1

Chris

• Like 1

Yes same sheet as mine Chris,the disk was present in the original bagged release then the black box issue which was a late sixties release but

never made it into later boxing's obviously the instructions never altered.Could be a case of just missing from your box.

Edited by stevej60

Mine was boxed and may have looked like the picture you posted above, but I really can't remember for sure. All that's left of it is the small information panel that I cut from the box.

Chris

• Like 1

Morning all,I've switched to the camera as my mobile's built in one is kaput so NOW you can see how blue this thing is.A floor and seat is all that's

supplied I added a stick lord know's why!

39303350205_eb7ee7b9ae_b.jpg

And I had a mass spray in of Frog's so the Tempest was included.

39489953044_8b73717070_b.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Good start Steve, have you decided on which scheme you'll be doing?

Not yet Blitz,Spadad sent me three options on an old Esci sheet which are bleaching on the window sill I've not referenced their scheme's

the kit ones are Useless and I had planned a D-Day striped version but the decals I had have gone AWOL.

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Looks as if you've been busy there Steve.

Just a bit Col.

• Like 1

Morning folk's time to don the sunglasses and post an update,you know for a single seat fighter in 1/72 scale it's got a good few part's,the

tailplanes are three part affairs with separate flap's and the wing flaps are also separate,anyway as you can see some progress has been 

made,I cannot find a photo of Rocket carrying Tempest's so went with the fuel tank option one of the options on Spadad's sheet was Beaumont's

aircraft in full D-Day stripes so hoping to build that scheme.

38450977970_2c1ecd4cd3_b.jpg

• Like 3