Hawker Hunter T.8 - ++FINISHED++

nimrod54

I had a short session this morning and managed to get the main decals on. Somewhere, I have some stencil data on a Hannants sheet so I may add a few of those too, and then I can start the final assembly work.

40965105295_ac9300f9f3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41863716791_cb9e93aa1a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41863715771_409aa9f4ff_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

I am entering the final stages of this build now. The tailplanes, undercarriage legs/doors and the drop tanks were all added yesterday, leaving the smaller details and a few paint touch ups to complete.

41092155115_7dc314e2ed_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41092154545_f3512d6799_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41092153815_8a617fef99_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This being a 'Navy Bird' one of the details that I felt needed improvement was the tail hook, the kit part being nothing more that a straight rod with a triangular shaped piece at the attachment point. I made a start on trying to create a hook shape on the end, but decided that it would be better to make a replacement using some tubing and small scraps of plastic. This has now been set aside for the glue to harden before I set about refining the part.

28120406438_08d724bf7b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:36, PlaStix said:

Looking good John. Great looking scheme.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I bought the kit for one of the other schemes originally, but was persuaded to give this one a go. It hasn't turned out too badly despite making the masking trickier than it needed to be.

I finished adding the last details this morning so I am calling this one finished. Here are a couple of photos and I will post more in the gallery shortly.

41971206562_44dbbdaf64_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41971311652_4bb4705481_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

This twin tub Hunter looks superb and is doubly as good as it’s half the normal scale I build to. Love the Dayglo panels which really lifts this scheme some what. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This twin tub Hunter looks superb and is doubly as good as it’s half the normal scale I build to. Love the Dayglo panels which really lifts this scheme some what. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

Thanks a lot Dave, I need to get another now for that Admiral's Barge scheme. :D

17 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

That's a superb and very tiny model!  

That orange is stunning...the equivalent of having a big 'L' taped to your wing...

The luminous orange does make it stand out John, and would leave you in no doubt about the pilots credentials. "I didn't see him" is not a valid excuse here, but I like your idea of a big 'L' too. :D

15 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great build dude. She looks spot on. 

Cheers buddy. Did you see any of these on your travels during your time working for Pickfords RAF branch. :winkgrin:

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Beautiful work John - as always!

Cliff

Thanks for the kind comment Cliff, it's much appreciated.

• Like 1

@nimrod54 I did dude. Road moved 4sqns from Cottesmore to Barkston Heath where it was repainted as an 8Sqn bird by 8Sqn volunteers/voluntold, and then moved it from there to where she sits now outside 8Sqn ops building on RAF Waddington. Will see if I have any pics. In the meantime check this linkhttp://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/Hunter 2012 reunion - page 1.htm

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the link bud, great photos of the aircraft and I like the Cottesmore markings pre refurbishment, maybe one for the future. Some hefty looking slings going around that fuselage

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure that’s me in the third picture “helpfully holding the rope”   I was back in my truck in the second picture ready to reverse under the fuse once it was lifted. 

• Like 1

Whilst having another look at this in the cabinet, I have realised that I have missed painting the grey panel on the fin, so it will be back in the paint shop shortly and, if there are no objections, I will retake some photos as substitutes for those in the gallery.

• Like 1

I have had this back in paint to paint the small panel at the top of the fin with some light grey, although looking at some of the photographs it is barely discernible from the silver. For that reason, I still have to decide if I should replace the gallery photos.

41428953784_806d089eb0_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40342549030_1247cd046f_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

What a beauty and all the little modifications you made to the kit really paid off. Just in case you do another and can’t face the tank surgery again I discovered that Whirlybirds do a set of 100gal tanks - four in a pack and pretty cheap. Email an order via website. All v easy. 

Incidentally - did you have any trouble airbrushing the Hataka? That’s the red line isn’t it? I’ve found my luminous orange to be very runny when I tried it out the other day. Wouldn’t come close to your coverage. How many coats did you have to do? The results are fantastic. 

Beautiful model - congratulations sir. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ajmm said:

What a beauty and all the little modifications you made to the kit really paid off. Just in case you do another and can’t face the tank surgery again I discovered that Whirlybirds do a set of 100gal tanks - four in a pack and pretty cheap. Email an order via website. All v easy. 

Incidentally - did you have any trouble airbrushing the Hataka? That’s the red line isn’t it? I’ve found my luminous orange to be very runny when I tried it out the other day. Wouldn’t come close to your coverage. How many coats did you have to do? The results are fantastic. 

Beautiful model - congratulations sir. 

Thanks your kind comment and for the info re the Whirlybird 100 gallon tanks, I'll pick some up. I have seen photos T.7/8's with both size of tanks fitted so they will be useful if I choose to build one of those aircraft too.

Re the Hataka Luminous Orange. I used their Orange Line of Acrylic Lacquer which are supposed to be airbrush ready, but I thinned it a little with some Mr Color Self Levelling thinner and used a low pressure, I found that it gives good coverage and because it dries quickly you can gradually build the colour up.

I painted this Matchbox Buckeye with the same Hataka Orange Line range of paint this time using the U.S Navy/U.S.M.C. Hi Viz set. HTH

40244823991_51cbe9ea66_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 1