Boeing 737-300 Norway Airlines. Daco/Skyline kit

Viking

Boeing 737-300 Norway Airlines. Daco/Skyline kit

This will be my second entry, the superb Skyline kit paired up with a set of equally lovely LN Decals.

Norway Airlines only lasted about 3 years from 1989 to 1991 operating 2 737-300's, only LN-NOS wore their complete livery. LN-NOR wore a hybrid Air Europe livery due to Norway Airlines having a subcontract with Air Europe, resulting in some interesting combinations of the 2 liveries.

The kit ready to go;

733-1.jpg

Th LN Decals sheet with 3 permutations of livery;

733-2.jpg

I'll be doing LN-NOS in the full Norway Airlines Livery.

733-3.jpg

John

• Like 9

On 2/4/2018 at 10:08 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

That is different John, I have a set of current Norwegian decals for an aircraft my son flew in on a European trip last year. Should I have a go at it for the GB?

Definately! Which person does it have on the tail?

• 1 month later...

Time to get this one started! Main components cut from the sprues and cleaned up;

733-4.jpg

When cutting away the cockpit for the clear part I overdid the trimming at the bottom end. It's an easy fix with a bit of plasticard glued on with Tamiya extra thin, and left to dry for 24 hours. then trim it back flush inside & out and sand it so the top end lies flush with the rest of the cutout. Having fixed this one, I then discovered I'd made the same mistake on the other fuselage half, so had to do that as well.

733-5.jpg

Both cockpit 'ovrecuts' corrected, and I decided to go for a scratch built cockpit on this one as well.  Potential crew waiting on the sprues!

733-6.jpg

I'll be referring to Dr Daves' rudder base correction and wing attachment method for this one. (See his lovely HLX build on this GB forum).

• Like 3

The little scratch built cockpit is ready for painting. Unlike the one for the Airfix 737, this one needs a rear bulkhead.

733-7.jpg

Job interviews for the crew start tomorrow!

• Like 2

Ok job interviews for crew are done. Captain Einar and co pilot Lars have got the job. Salary 1 penny.

I stuck a bit of black decal on to represent the flight deck door ajar. I drew a fine hinge line in with a pencil after taking the pictures.

733-8.jpg

733-9.jpg

733-11.jpg

Fuselage now glued up.

733-10.jpg

• Like 5

Incredible work on the flightdeck crew there John. Einar and Lars look very professional. My crew are usually Coco and Mr. Blobby :wtf: 

I struggle to paint any pilots in 1/72nd scale, but half that size?? Wow!

Dave

The wings are on now, using Dave Skodadriver's method. This was a first for me. Dave  recommends cutting off the interlocking tabs, and only fitting the tops of the wings to the fuselage.  He's not wrong! it gives a lovely snug fit. Here is mine without any clean up of the join done yet.

733-14.jpg

Wing undersides will be fitted later.

733-13.jpg

733-12.jpg

Great tip Dave :worthy:,  I also used you tip on clearing the flash from the base of the fin.  I'll go and put the lower wings on now.

John

• Like 6

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:54, Viking said:

The wings are on now, using Dave Skodadriver's method. This was a first for me. Dave  recommends cutting off the interlocking tabs, and only fitting the tops of the wings to the fuselage.  He's not wrong! it gives a lovely snug fit. Here is mine without any clean up of the join done yet.

That's a fantastic wing fit John. Dave's method gives a much better result, I will be filing that one away for future reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this one may not have been fighting me, but it has been argumentative!

After priming it in Halfords grey, it seemed fine. But when I sprayed the Tamiya white on it, I noticed a bit of a seam on the vertical port side glazing. I filled, sanded, & resprayed. Twice. All of which gave a bit too thick a coat of paint when I took the glazing masking tape off, there was a bit of a 'lip'. So I micromeshed it down, and wore some of the white off. Another respray followed.

Ready for primer;

733-15.jpg

733-16.jpg

Wings & tail sprayed;

733-17.jpg

Masked up for the white fuselage;

733-18.jpg

After lots of white respraying.  Up on it's feet now;

733-19.jpg

Started with the cheatline. The fine white lines look a bit pixellated in the photo, but are not in real life.

733-20.jpg

Full length. This is awkward to do, you don't get too long before the decal grips and tends to split if you keep moving it.

733-21a.jpg

Other side done now.

733-22.jpg

This is my least favorite type of cheatline to apply, with fine white lines that meet front & rear . It is going to need some fine touching in with a paint brush where they meet. 

And I've mucked up one engine. I did a nice Alclad intake ring, and spoiled it taking the masking tape off! Going to have to sand it off & redo it. Grrr!

John

• Like 5

Looks good John, the cheatlines are very neat. Sorry to hear about your intake woes, I have a similar issue. I decided to paint them off engine with Mr Metal Color and buffed them up before fitting later. What I thought was a glue blemish on the front edge of one turned out to be a slight step, so it will require some sanding to blend and a repaint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stringbag said:

Rather nice looking livery John. 

Not like you to have to re-paint something.  :wicked:

Chris

Speaking of paint -  not like you to paint something :tease: