Boeing 737-130 Lufthansa. Airfix kit modified. - Now Finished.

Viking

Hi John, I've been doing other stuff for a few days but what a treat to come back to this and see how much progress you've made.  As John Nimrod says, you're nearly there now.  I'm with you on photocopying the decals, particularly where the doors are printed integrally with the cheatline.  Doing it that way has saved me from a few serious problems over the years.  I look forward to the next instalment.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:50 AM, Graeme H said:

Your thinking on the Emergency Exit might be right, I count 11 windows forward on photos of the real thing, but 12 on the decal

You are right Graeme, I count 11 forward, 1 on the exit and 12 behind. With that in mind I started chopping up my photocopy. I took 2 out where you see, which brings the rear door into line;

731-81.jpg

The one under the 'L' of Lufthansa needs blocking out, as it is not there in reality. I had planned to cover it with a bit of spare cheatline decal, but now realise that it wont work, as it will show through.

Laser decals are on constant film, so you need to cut around them. I cut right through the doors and will install the outlines later. Why? because they have a tendency to 'Tuck under' when you slide the long cheatline off the backing paper and onto the model. They can be a real pain to put right as the glue on them can really stick the decal together. It's just easier to do it this way.

731-82.jpg

The actual decal prepared;

731-83.jpg

I can see faint doors under the paint on the model.so I aligned  my bits of chaetline on them. Doesn't quite meet the cockpit glazing now! and there is a tiny gap 2 windows behind the emergency exit. There plenty of spare on the decal sheet though.

731-84.jpg

Where it is now. The photo shows that the tail logo is slightly out of true, should be parallel with the rudder hinge line. It was still wet so I adjusted it after taking the picture. (I cut it away from the silver leading edge on the decal sheet, having preferred to paint the bare metal leading edge to the fin).

731-85.jpg

That window under the 'L' has to be deleted now!

John

• Like 11

Thanks chaps.

Today I dealt with the unwanted forward most windows on both sides. I really should have cut them out before applying the cheatlines. I had planned to just cover them with a small section of the extra cheatline provided on the sheet. Too late I remembered that if you apply laser decals on top of anything they darken significantly due to their partial translucency. Like this, the one under the 'a';

731-86.jpg

So I had to carefully do this on both sides. The decals were dry, but by cutting the section and wetting the area, and slowly, slowly working a fine paintbrush under, I was able to remove the unwanted window sections.

731-87.jpg

The the replacement sections of spare cheatline were used to fill in. (Of course, this problem wouldn't exist with silkscreen decals. as they are opaque).

It has the correct number of windows each side now.

731-88.jpg

Not too much more to do now, just the blow in doors around the front of the nacelles, the nav lights, and the aerials. I'll probably give the wing panel lines a light wash too,

Almost there!

John

• Like 9

Beauty! For some reason I've really been looking forward to seeing this one done; it's such a good looking aircraft!

Great catch on the cheatline/window saga - lovely neat work.

Edited by Spad
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm calling this one finished now.

I added blow in doors from silver decal cut into squares, on the front of the nacelles. The trouble was that they blended in and could hardly be seen. So I sprayed a darker mix onto some clear decal sheet, and used that instead. They do now show quite subtly, which is what I wanted. Aerials, nav lights & anti-collision lights added, Jobs is finished! More in the GB gallery.

731-90.jpg

Ach! vere ist der airstairs? How kan ve get on?

Thanks for looking, and all the discussion & comments along the way.

John

• Like 10