Harrier GR9

Telboy3510

Hi, a question for all the Harrier experts, did the GR9 ever fly with a winter camouflage scheme. I have one to build and would like to do something different. I've built a few Harriers but don't have one in this scheme. Any help or reference sites would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Keeping it simple, if you're happy with a GR7 then model one of those with white over the DSG/DCG colours on the airframe. The only external differences for the GR9 over the GR7 was that those with the 65% LERX (the flat LERX) had 'frog-eye' fire access points above the engine covers and the access ports in the wing root leading edges filled as these now had wiring behind them, not holes. The 100% LERX (curved shape) had frog-eyes as GR7s and GR9s, so pick a 65% LERX airframe which comes with the Hase/Revell kit, or in the Eduard boxing.

Hope that helps, if not, please ask!

Cheers

Nick

42 minutes ago, NG899 said:

Keeping it simple, if you're happy with a GR7 then model one of those with white over the DSG/DCG colours on the airframe. The only external differences for the GR9 over the GR7 was that those with the 65% LERX (the flat LERX) had 'frog-eye' fire access points above the engine covers and the access ports in the wing root leading edges filled as these now had wiring behind them, not holes. The 100% LERX (curved shape) had frog-eyes as GR7s and GR9s, so pick a 65% LERX airframe which comes with the Hase/Revell kit, or in the Eduard boxing.

Hope that helps, if not, please ask!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for that, really helpful. I already have the Airfix GR9 so I guess it's going to be standard grey. Still, gives me a good excuse to buy another Harrier in the future! Good job I like Harriers 😊.

Terry.

17 hours ago, Telboy3510 said:

Thanks for that, really helpful. I already have the Airfix GR9 so I guess it's going to be standard grey. Still, gives me a good excuse to buy another Harrier in the future! Good job I like Harriers 😊.

Terry.

Assumming you have the GR9 starter set,  the plastic is the same as the GR7/9 kit - it builds as a GR7 or a GR9 from the box, so it should be possible to do a Snow one from the kit. The full instructions are here: 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=30527&p=395973&hilit=Harrier#p395973

I might have spare decals for one of the snow camo’d aircraft they did in their earlier GR7 kit, but I’ll need to have a dig.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=17720&p=212253&hilit=Harrier#p212253

Edited by Dave Fleming

17 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Assumming you have the GR9 starter set,  the plastic is the same as the GR7/9 kit - it builds as a GR7 or a GR9 from the box, so it should be possible to do a Snow one from the kit. The full instructions are here: 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=30527&p=395973&hilit=Harrier#p395973

I might have spare decals for one of the snow camo’d aircraft they did in their earlier GR7 kit, but I’ll need to have a dig.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=17720&p=212253&hilit=Harrier#p212253

Hi Dave, thanks very much for that, my Harrier is boxed as the GR9A. I've had a look and it does come with what I believe are the 2 different types of LERX that Nick refers to. If that is the case it would appear I have a number of alternatives. Thanks for the offer of the decals if I go down the winter cammo line I will come back to you, as it is my next project is a Sea King rescue chopper so I have bit of time to consider my options. Thanks again for your very generous offer.

Terry.