An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

On 2/22/2020 at 10:38 PM, keefr22 said:

More lovely neat micro engineering Ian, and that's a cracking little DF loop!

Keith

Thanks Keith, second time lucky!

On 2/22/2020 at 11:26 PM, bbudde said:

For me it looks like a fine Fairey Battle so far, especially on that old Airfix one recreated.

Cheers

Vielen dank Ben, it's certainly an improvement although I'll leave it to others to decide just how much of one!

On 2/23/2020 at 1:42 PM, Massimo said:

WOW!!!

Lovely job on the canopy and really nice detailon that tailgun!!!

This Battle is coming to life!!!!

Welldone Ian!!!

Cheers Massimo! Nothing compared to your Bucc though!

As a result of @CedB flouting his tools in public, I had to order a couple of extra ones for myself. Namely a nice small pin vise

49588601136_83c34a04cb_z.jpg

that will (supposedly) hold a drill bit between 0 and .4mm (we'll see how well that works and whether it will centre the bit!) and a jeweller's saw

49588600371_9fdbbf1c84_z.jpg

that I can see will be very useful! After watching a video or two online I may also get a  mitre cutting vice and saw jig.

See this video at around 19:20 for those bits. Very tempting, and I'm sure @TheBaron  would be able to find a use for them!

On to the Battle.

First, the windscreen was added and PPP to clean up the joins

49588600761_eb1100329b_z.jpg

49588600661_10931a4d7e_z.jpg

Then whilst cleaning everything up I had a major "AAAARGH!" moment

49588846297_0e8287c7cb_z.jpg

That big lump just behind the grab rail should NOT be there. I thought about it for a while: removing the canopy was not an option, my files wouldn't reach. The only option was to try to get a scalpel blade in there and carefully remove them by scraping.

One side done and it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better....

49588846212_8086f7881f_z.jpg

Both sides were done, and there were a few scrape marks inside the canopy. After seeing what Klear did on my Heinkel canopy I simply brushed some Klear on the scrapes. Job done, nice and clear again! I love this stuff!

The next job was to make the tiny brackets that support the rear canopy and side windows. They are TINY!

But eventually done and painted along with a couple of extensions to the gunner's canopy to provide the hinge points.

49588846762_fc7fdf3d90_z.jpg

After that had all dried I glued in the brackets and did a quick dry fit to see how the gunner's canopy would look and what, if any, extra work I needed to do...

49588846612_b73bf51e5f_z.jpg

49588109133_02e223a940_z.jpg

It's a little simplified through necessity, and the canopy itself is not quite right. Unfortunately the Vacform only has one complete main canopy, with the pilot's canopy and windshield separate. With the overlap that exists between the main canopy and gunner's part, I had to decide where I wanted to cut it, as there is a slight overlap fitted to the main canopy to stop drafts when closed. This makes the gunner's part slightly too short, and means that the front frame of the opening part, from hinge to hinge, is not the straight run that it should be. It shouldn't be too noticeable and I'll live with it.

Anyway, enough for today. Now that the canopy fittings are done I need to make some masks. That's the next job!

Thanks for looking in, have a great evening all!

Ian

• Like 31

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Namely a nice small pin vise

49588601136_83c34a04cb_z.jpg

that will (supposedly) hold a drill bit between 0 and .4mm

Is that the 0 bit you have in it there Ian?

Loving your work in and around that canopy - a visual feast!

• Haha 9

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Very tempting, and I'm sure @TheBaron  would be able to find a use for them!

He's already got them Ian! Or at least the tube cutter… still on my wish list.

That mitre vice looks tempting too.

Great work on the canopy and surrounds :) 

For removing stuff like the 'big lump just behind the grab rail' I use the Swann Morton Fine 'chisel' blades - Paul has them here. He suggested using a pin vice or something with them but I bought the handle, of course. They're more expensive than the standard blades (less volume) but mine have lasted for ages and, I guess, can be sharpened.

• Like 2

Just found this Ian... as usual I am way behind the curve. So I hve had a happy half hour reading through and catching up on all the (very tiny but superb), details. Are you trying to out-Baron the Baron by any chance?

What with his Anson and now this Battle, Airfix will have to give some serious thought to their next late 1930's RAF release.

Will keep a closer eye in future.

P

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 3:11 AM, pheonix said:

Just found this Ian... as usual I am way behind the curve. So I hve had a happy half hour reading through and catching up on all the (very tiny but superb), details. Are you trying to out-Baron the Baron by any chance?

What with his Anson and now this Battle, Airfix will have to give some serious thought to their next late 1930's RAF release.

Will keep a closer eye in future.

P

Thanks P!

No doubt you will want to know that I have been distracted and have started another build here. Due to pressure (OK, not really any pressure, but I gave in anyway) from the Vac and resin kit builders Facebook page that just started a group build, I have started a vac RAF FE8 pusher.

That should keep you happy! 😉

Ian

• Like 1

On 26/02/2020 at 18:29, limeypilot said:

As a result of @CedB flouting his tools in public,   

I was sick! 🤮   That apart, a very interesting update.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Hi Ian,

just read through the whole thread and ... oh my god. This build is a real labour of love. I really like builds were kits are hacked apart and details are scratch built so I'm sure following your efforts.

My respect for keeping the motivation high with this one. I know such builds can drain a lot of energy so I'm really impressed you keep plugging away.

At least you can find comfort in the fact that as soon as you are finished someone will announce a new tool kit 😆

So keep going!

Cheers,

Markus

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay between updates, I have been, as many of you will know, distracted by a vacform FE8. Since I sprayed it white earlier today I was at a loss for something to do so....

I started cutting little masking tape squares.

A brand new no. 11 blade, tweezers, and a ruler were the tools required. I tried to make it as simple as possible, so knowing the 2 sides are identical I cut 2 lengths of tape to the right width and laid them up against each other. A 3rd was cut to width for the top panels and was laid up against the other two. That way, if I was accurate, I could make 1 cut and have 3 identically sized (width wise) masks, ensuring they would all be nice and square with equal gaps. Or so the plan went...

As a matter of fact only a couple of panels needed trimming and that was because I measured incorrectly! I ended up with sore eyes, and this...

49735114171_ceac6e0555_z.jpg

It seems to have worked, but that's the easy bit. Tomorrow I'll look at the rest....

Thanks for looking in!

Oh btw, the pin vice is excellent! It holds .3mm bits easily and no problem centring them. I highly recommend it!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 17

Well so much for plans...

This morning my intentions were to finish the canopy masking on this one, then do the undersurface masking on the FE8. I spent all afternoon plus a bit finishing this one, so the FE8 will have to wait. There is definitely a good case here for something like a silhouette cutter but I don't have one so it was trial and error for the remaining masking. The lower panels on the gunner's compartment were relatively simple but did show up the fact that I hadn't paid attention on the starboard side when masking the "greenhouse". The straight line that should run fore and aft at the bottom of the greenhouse panels, and along the top of the gunner's panels wasn't there, but fortunately I only needed to raise the rearmost 2 or 3 panels and trim a smidgeon off the right side of the centre panels to keep the gap.

49738946772_0df51df43b_z.jpg

49738620881_a80588937b_z.jpg

That works, straight enough for me!

Then it was on to the tricky bits. The windscreen wasn't too bad. I did the centre panel, then stuck the outer ones on lined up with the centre and trimmed off the overlap, then adjusted the bottom edge and the rear edge accordingly. The gunner's canopy was a right PITA. For that one i added the forward 3 panels as per the windscreen, ie fitting then trimming off along the edge, then removing and trimming back slightly to allow for the frame. The curves caused a bit of a problem though, so for the centre and rear panels I added a strip along the side, marked top and bottom at front and rear, and marked the centre frame. The tape was then removed and cut and, surprisingly, it worked pretty well!

A similar approach was used for the pilot's canopy and after a good few hours I had this...

49738947052_dda722472c_z.jpg

49738072088_cc112851df_z.jpg

and it all seems to match up too!

49738621071_efccd43c76_z.jpg

Of course I'll only really see how good it is when I remove it after the painting, but I'm hopeful!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 24

7 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Very nice neat masking Ian.

Looking at the pics: is there cracking along both wing root fairing to fuselage?

Roger

No Roger, just very bad scribing! 

Ian

• Like 2

Ian, you are doing a great work here! I have not found it previously, sorry that I coming so late.

The topic is close to me since some 20 years ago (~2000) I did similar (in general concept, for sure not in any details) attempt.  I posted it when I bacame BM member, it is here

Your work is of course much much more labor and result will outstanding, no doubts about this! My conversion was aimed only in correction of general outline, not so much and perfectly detailing as you did....

I am really deeply impressed by work you did so far  :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice masking Ian but…

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

There is definitely a good case here for something like a silhouette cutter

Resistance is futile! :D 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry to have been lax in keeping up with this one Ian - my eyes have been directed elsewhere on a more important interesting another of your builds!

The masking looks fantastic - I do not know how you have the patience to do all of that. I sincerely hope that the paint does not bleed under all of that!!

P

• Haha 1

What a fantastic thread! I've attempted something similar myself several years ago on Airfix's original BP Defiant which regrettably still sits on the shelf of broken dreams. This was only made worse when they released the new Defiant.

Nevertheless your thread has encouraged me to dig out the Battle from the stash and maybe have a go!

Cheers 

Edited by Bangor Lad
Typo
  • Like 1

great job with a difficult masking task.   I find Aizu tape invaluable for things like that (used on Pegasus). 

It's a bit late now but you could have used something like a 0.5mm strip to give you the main guidelines, masked to that, then removed the strip leaving a nice straight line.

It's really good to see this back at the fore again

• Like 1

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

49738621071_efccd43c76_z.jpg

Of course I'll only really see how good it is when I remove it after the painting, but I'm hopeful!

Thanks for looking in!

This popped into my watch thingy after what I thought was a few moths. (Nearly two years) so I simply went back and binged the whole thread again. Simply mind blowing work. And belated congratulations on the gold. 👍🤗😇

I’ll try and keep up from now on. Bad me.🤫

Johnny

ps. Masking ...... oh my the masking. 😱

• Like 2

Hello Ian !!

Whatever, rocket fuel has not killed your efficiency in modelling !!

What a nice and tidy battle !! Congrats my friend !!

It deserve at least 2 or 3 good bottles !!

Did'nt remember the one you have tasted !! But wait for SMW 2021 !! :cheers:

I've saved the thread it's very inspiring when I'll start my (Sorry about that) 1/48 one !!

Thanks for sharing !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback folks, much appreciated!

I have done a little more, but it is only a little. I sprayed the canopy interior green, so the pic is the same as the last one but a different colour. What it did show is that more PPP was needed around the join. That has also been done and will be cleaned up soon.

As I was waiting, I turned to a couple of other builds today, both the FE8 and the Taube got some attention.

Ian

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...