An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I like the idea of competitions, but I really don’t think I am good enough.

Nonsense!

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

There's nothing wrong with your replicas Heather your up there with the best!

Couldn't agree more - and I wish I had even the faintest clue on how to build a brass O gauge locomotive kit - let alone then get it to work!!

Keith

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

There's nothing wrong with your replicas Heather your up there with the best!

19 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Oh give over,your work is way up there.

Aww, thanks guys! 

Cheques are in the mail. ;) 

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Huzzah!

Is it finished yet mister?

Is it??

Trevor the impatient

No! Now sit down and behave, like everyone else.

Wait a sec,  no-one else is behaving.

As you were. But it's still not finished.....

Beer anyone?

Ian

• Haha 4

Congrats on a well deserved reward. I had so much fun meeting all you guys and gals at SMW that I drank way too much beer. Which is not a bad thing, by the way.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

On 11/20/2019 at 10:49 PM, CedB said:

Yes please, I could do with a pint...

Nice bay Ian and congratulations on the gold :) 

My round Ced, and thanks!

On 11/20/2019 at 10:50 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Welcome back old bean. Good to meet up at Telford and a fine model there and worthy winner.

Cheers Tomo!

On 11/20/2019 at 11:21 PM, Navy Bird said:

Congrats on a well deserved reward. I had so much fun meeting all you guys and gals at SMW that I drank way too much beer. Which is not a bad thing, by the way.

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill! Drinking way too much beer is compulsory, no apologies required!

On 11/21/2019 at 2:23 AM, rob85 said:

The medal looks well deserved from where I’m sitting! Nice to see you back at the battle, bomb racks are looking good!

Rob

Thanks Rob!

On 11/21/2019 at 2:49 AM, Putty Animal said:

Congratulations!  Definitely looks very well deserved to me too. Maybe a gold for the Battle next year?  :)

Thanks! A little early for Battle prospects though.....

On 11/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, Courageous said:

Well done with getting a 'gong' for your entry. Nice seeing and speaking with you at Telford.

Now it's back to the battle, looking great. Now, no loitering.

Stuart

Likewise Stuart, and thanks! 

However progress may be a little slow for the next week or so as my brother is coming over for 10 days for the F1 GP.

Having said that, a little more progress has been made. I added some basic structural detail to the forward end of the bomb bays last night, then Interior green was squirted on this morning, photo eaten by my phone.

After it had dried I started on the reskinning. One wing done and it will be left to dry properly overnight. I may get the other one done tomorrow evening before picking up my brother at the airport at midnight.....

49111416122_43594d46e6_z.jpg

Thanks for looking in, and thanks again for all the comments!

Ian

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wondering where this had gone to.....and then I saw your well deserved gong and understood that you had been making something far more important and interesting! For which many congratulations.

If this one turns out half as well as the gong winner (and it is already well up to that standard), then I can see another gong in the offing for 2020.

P

• Thanks 1

Tomo, you’re on a charge: I’ve got Peters and flipping Lee on the brain now, and that is NOT a welcome development.  Still, it gives me the chance to trot out one of my ‘betya didn’t know...’ factoids again: Peters was Charlie Watts’ Uncle.  Rock. And. Roll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 12/4/2019 at 2:26 AM, pheonix said:

I have been wondering where this had gone to.....and then I saw your well deserved gong and understood that you had been making something far more important and interesting! For which many congratulations.

If this one turns out half as well as the gong winner (and it is already well up to that standard), then I can see another gong in the offing for 2020.

P

Thanks P! The Donnet-Leveque was built a couple of years ago. I've been quiet because of a. the trip to Telford and b. My brother has been here for the last 2 weeks for the F1 GP.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tomo, you’re on a charge: I’ve got Peters and flipping Lee on the brain now, and that is NOT a welcome development.  Still, it gives me the chance to trot out one of my ‘betya didn’t know...’ factoids again: Peters was Charlie Watts’ Uncle.  Rock. And. Roll.

Shouldn't have clicked "play" then, I didn't! Thanks for the little piece of trivia though!

Just had a fantastic couple of weeks attending every day of the Abu Dhabi F1 GP with my brother, then spending 2 "spare" days at the end of his visit about 240km West of here visiting the Sir Bani Yas Island reserve (Sir is pronounced "seer", it means desert, Bani Yas was the tribe who lived there up until the late 19th century, so literally "the Bani Yas' desert"). The Royal family owned it and the late Shiekh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan made it one of his pet projects and decided he should plant as many trees as possible. Then, realising that the native Arabian Oryx was getting endangered, he introduced them to the island and it eventually turned into a huge wildlife reserve. It now has giraffe, cheetahs, many different types of gazelle and wild sheep, hyenas, peacocks, turkeys, grouse and all sorts of other animals. They are all totally wild, the cheetahs and hyenas feed themselves on the the gazelle "buffet". Well worth a visit!

Anyway, now that's all over with, I can get back to the Battle. Not much has been done as yet, but I have got the "skin" on one side finished, I added a strip of .020" x .030" over the top of the rib between the two bomb cells and brushed on some Mr Dissolved Putty around all the edges to ensure no gaps. The other side has been cut out and is being fettled to fit!

49172365393_792b563f16_z.jpg

49173071627_3970aa0d4a_z.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 16

Oh I didn’t press play; true musical pap like Peters & Lee doesn’t require you to actually hear it to become an ear worm.  If I say “The Birdie Song” or “Agadoo”.... see what I mean?

Anyway.  This Battle is fab; I admire your persistence and eye for detail!

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oh I didn’t press play; true musical pap like Peters & Lee doesn’t require you to actually hear it to become an ear worm.  If I say “The Birdie Song” or “Agadoo”.... see what I mean?

Anyway.  This Battle is fab; I admire your persistence and eye for detail!

Aaaagh! You, sir, are a cad! 

That's not what I was intending to type, but I like this forum!

Ian

• Haha 5

OMG, the Birdie song, can't get it out of my head now either 🎶..................😩

A bit late welcoming this thread back Ian, I'm in and out of here like a yoyo lately. My retired life has become quite busy! It was great to meet at Telford, and well done indeed on that Gold. The subject looks superb.

On with the Battle I say.....!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/5/2019 at 11:11 PM, Terry1954 said:

A bit late welcoming this thread back Ian, I'm in and out of here like a yoyo lately. My retired life has become quite busy! It was great to meet at Telford, and well done indeed on that Gold. The subject looks superb.

On with the Battle I say.....!

Terry

Thanks Terry, it was a pleasure to meet you too. Onwards, but not much of upwards yet......

On 12/6/2019 at 12:57 PM, CedB said:

Very nice work on the bay doors Ian - they look really good :) 

Cheers Ced!

On 12/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, AdrianMF said:

A belated welcome back! Congratulations on the gold too.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated!

On 12/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, Fritag said:

Belated congrats on the gold Ian (tho’ maybe not belated cos I think I said it on the day.....🤞)  - and the Battle is coming on very nicely (obvs.).....

Cheers Steve! I believe you may indeed have done so, but I blame @corsaircorp for my not being able to remember either!

Anyway, having now got back into the rut normal routine once more, a little more progress has been made. Not much. Just a little. More work done on the underside, including some very messy scribing. Not sure how I managed to miss the correct position by so far, but I did! A scrape of PPP and it was redone. The next shot of primer will show how successfully!

The camera port on the underside was drilled out with a 1.6mm drill and a lens was punched out of .010" clear sheet , popped into place, and masked (so I don't forget!). Question for any Battle experts - there appears to be a similar port on the upper side of the fuselage, just aft of the gun position. Was this a formation light? I can't see any reason for an upward pointing camera!

I also added the wheel fairings, which seem to fit pretty nicely. A couple of gaps have been filled with CA and when that's properly dry I'll clean it up and give it a squirt!

49212376183_af97b7009b_z.jpg

49212376303_fcb204416a_z.jpg

49213084367_367b837cb3_z.jpg

Oh, and one last thing....I booked a hotel room for Telford next year. See you all there!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 11

On 20/11/2019 at 21:13, Heather Kay said:

I like the idea of competitions, but I really don’t think I am good enough.

Where on Earth did you get that idea!?!?

No offence- But that’s the most deluded comment I’ve heard in a long time. Have you ever seen any of your work?🙄

• Like 2