An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

On 1/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, Hamden said:

Happy New Year to you.

Nice work on those bomb bays it's really coming together nicely now.

Roger

Many thanks Roger, the same to you! They are progressing, albeit rather slowly....

On 1/2/2019 at 2:57 AM, Courageous said:

I'm exhausted just watching that bomb bay rework.

Looking better.

Stuart

Sounds like time for a pint then, I think I'll join you Stuart!

On 1/2/2019 at 3:35 AM, CedB said:

Happy New Year Ian!

Nice work - those bays are going to look marvellous :) 

Thanks Ced, and the same to you and yours!

On 1/2/2019 at 3:44 AM, Massimo said:

Excellent work on those bays, Ian!!!

Well done !!!:like:

Happy New Year!!!

Thanks you Massimo, likewise to you and your family. I must say that's quite a compliment having seen your Buccaneer! 

Well chaps, it seems I've been a bit remiss on updating. Having said that there hasn't really been much to photograph. I have been working (slowly) on the wing ribs in the bomb bays. Originally I had planned on doing them in brass as all the pics in Ian Huntley's book show them as  open structures with braces However upon closer examination of pics of the real thing, plus the cutaway sections in the book from the original sources, I came to the conclusion that it was probably only the prototype that was open braced (hence all the pics of it during construction) and that production models had solid sheet ribs with lightening holes in them, so that is the route I've taken. 

I used 10 thou card and roughly cut them to shape before adjusting them to fit through simple trial and error: sand, test fit, sand, test fit...you know how it goes!

Once they fitted I secured them in place with blue tac and ran a steel rule across the underside to get the shape to match the curvature of the wing under surfaces. More gentle sanding in places and I'm now happy with the results shape wise.

31768454577_7b29f1bfcb_k.jpg

32835021828_bf747e648e_k.jpg

31768452447_051cf82dfc_k.jpg

31768453307_daaa54e312_k.jpg

On to the detailing! That was where my trusty punch set came in handy! To all those who keep saying they'd like one but it's too expensive, I'd say "go for it!" If you think you need one, you WILL use it, and once you have it, it will be indispensible. The best $70 I've spent in a while.

The holes were guestimated according to the cutaway drawing in IH's book.

31768455647_e1b51583e8_k.jpg

They are a mix of 2.5mm, 2.0mm and 1.8mm. They may not be the correct sizes, and probably aren't 'cos the wing surface is a lot thicker than a scale piece of metal sheet, but at least they look ok.

Now I need the dimensions for the Universal Bomb Carrier, or "Carrier, Bomb, Universal No.1" in RAF parlance. There were two separate carriers fitted but they were linked together, and raised up and down to allow clearance when the aircraft was used as a dive bomber. The connections ran through a cutout in the rib, which I have roughly marked out, and was basically 2 semi-circular shapes (although not quite as they weren't a full half width), with the curved edges facing each other. I have marked them roughly in the pic above, but need the dimensions for the centre part of the carrier to know how far apart to set the edges of the cutouts. As marked above I think they're too far apart. Any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know if these carriers are available in PE? Either the 250lb or 500lb would work The ones I've seen don't appear to be the same as the Battle ones had horizontal (steadying?) bars attached with flattened ends, although it would be a simple enough job to solder those on myself.

This pic from Ian Huntley's book shows the tabs I'm referring to..

45794997035_4cf2d52fc4_z.jpg

although this image from the parts book doesn't show them, so were they only on the prototype also?

46710264361_a4b7dfb88e_k.jpg

If anyone objects to those two pics being used for reference purposes I will happily remove them.

Back to the bench!

Thanks for looking in, have a great weekend everyone!

Ian

• Like 14

“On to the detailing”

Surely the understatement of the year so far! I continue to be amazed at the amount of sheer graft you’re pouring into this. This is turning into a real head turner.

Trevor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

“On to the detailing”

Surely the understatement of the year so far! I continue to be amazed at the amount of sheer graft you’re pouring into this. This is turning into a real head turner.

Trevor

Cheers Trevor, I must admit I'm enjoying this one immensely, and it will certainly be a little above the "average Airfix Battle" even if I make a total hash of the rest of it!

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

May have saved you a spot of soldering Ian.

PM sent.

You're a star Tony!

I have gone a little overboard I'm afraid - I've ordered both the Red Roo cast brass carriers, and the Marabu PE set. My hope is that between the two I will get a pretty good set of carriers, with a little bit extra added for good measure of course! (I also ordered the Marabu landing lights). Although I have no idea how long the Red Roo bits will take to get here from Oz, and the others I have had sent to my dad's place as they wanted $60 for postage! 

Ian

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Impressive stuff Ian.

Martian 👽

Thanks oh tentacled one, a compliment indeed. I was tempted to say that I was still a little green, but I won't.

Whilst trying to sort out details for the bomb bays, my attention turned to the landing gear, and more brass work. I spent most of this morning measuring, checking plans, remeasuring, and trying to decide what size of brass rod/tube I would be needing. I finally came up with a plan.

31775322057_84c1e08ed6_k.jpg

The starting point was at the upper end, and I used some spare PE, bent at a right angle, which will be the base mount for the main gear legs. This will be epoxied to the brass rod already inserted once the assembly is complete.

45801348295_3c1dd12d36_k.jpg

45801346595_4d6241bc04_k.jpg

The main gear leg will be 1.4mm brass tube with a 1.2mm inner sleeve to narrow it down, and a small 1.6mm collar at the lower end. That will all be soldered to the above angle piece. 

The starting point, 1.4mm tube

32841513628_638722a3af_k.jpg

Plus the 1.2mm insert

39751493053_e2334cab32_k.jpg

and finally with the 1.6mm collar

45801349795_3aac5b74e6_k.jpg

The lower gear leg will be 0.8mm aluminium tube with a 0.5mm brass rod insert to give it more strength. That will extend from the top of the main leg where it meets the mounting point, all the way through to the axle. An outer sleeve of 1.2mm brass tube will compete the lower leg. That's the plan anyway.....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 14

As per Massimo's comment, the bays look excellent. It's one of those things in a build when you don't expect to get carried away (OOB build intended) but you do; which in this case can only be a good thing.

Oh if you don't mind me saying though Ian, and forgive me for being a little cheeky...

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:33 AM, limeypilot said:

31768454577_7b29f1bfcb_k.jpg

… I think the bombs need a little more work … just saying ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

39 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

I think the bombs need a little more work … just saying ...

Maybe some racks, used on  a Heyford  from a set, which I saw somewhere on it. Maybe not 100% to yours , but 69, 665576%  or so etc. would be greatful, if not perfect for scratch building things.  Hope, I said that in a readable way without too much damage on your language. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 1:24 AM, Courageous said:

Pulling the stops out here Ian, will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I'm looking forward to that myself, but it may be a while (see below)

On 1/14/2019 at 1:39 AM, bbudde said:

Maybe some racks, used on  a Heyford  from a set, which I saw somewhere on it. Maybe not 100% to yours , but 69, 665576%  or so etc. would be greatful, if not perfect for scratch building things.  Hope, I said that in a readable way without too much damage on your language. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt, I have ordered a set of Marabu PE carriers, and also Red Roo's cast brass items. Hopefully between them I should be able to come up with something decent!

Further to that comment, I found I'm lacking some 1.0mm aluminium tube which I'll need for the main gear. I've ordered some but Hannants wanted 30 quid postage! Needless to say it has been sent to my Dad's place, along with quite a bit of other stuff I've ordered recently, and hopefully he will be able to combine it all and send it over at a reasonable rate. I may even have him hold on to some of it (not the bits I need for this though!) and pick it up when I come over in May for my baby sister's 50th!

There will now be an interlude, hopefully not too long of one, while I await said supplies.

In the meantime, I am starting another thread on the repair/restoration of the Pfalz E.IV which got damaged in the move here last year.

See you soon!

Ian

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, dad's lad said:

Is the interlude over yet? I can't wait to see more.

Clive.

I wish it was!

Still waiting on a package posted in February from the UK. Ironically I asked my dad to send it because I wanted it quickly, but I'm going back to the UK next week for hols so it looks as though I'll get the non-urgent stuff first!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• 6 months later...

BOO!

It's back!

After rather more of a delay than anticipated I have brought this back to the bench. The brass and other supplies have all been received, the Pfalzen completed, and a very pleasurable (and unexpectedly successful) trip to Telford has been completed. Speaking of which, here's the unexpected bit.....

49094957727_a3ebb4f936_z.jpg

To say I was gobsmacked is a huge understatement, there were some gorgeous models there!

Anyway, back to the subject. Not too much for today as I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where I'd got to and what was supposed to come next! Since I have the PE bomb racks I decided to finish the wing ribs and added the cutouts for the rack mechanism. Drilled, enlarged with a scalpel, then finally shaped with half-round and rectangular jeweler's files. 

Here are the racks

49094251673_d6b59c6ac7_z.jpg

Those should work, although they'll need a little more detail added as the Battle had them mounted as a pair, joined together through the rib (hence the cutouts).

49094772961_bcfd87531c_z.jpg

and fitted

49094251373_77950f902b_z.jpg

49094251263_25d10dd819_z.jpg

I'll leave those to dry overnight, next step will be to squirt some paint at them and see how they look!

Thanks for looking in, and welcome back everyone!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 26

1 minute ago, limeypilot said:

BOO!

AAAH! 

You made me jump there!

Huge congrats on the gold medal. I like the idea of competitions, but I really don’t think I am good enough. Kudos to those who are, I say! 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

don’t think I am good enough

There's nothing wrong with your replicas Heather your up there with the best!

Roger

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

but I really don’t think I am good enough.

Neither did I!

My reason for entering them was to let people get a better look than they would likely have got elsewhere.

Ian