An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

On 2/4/2018 at 11:56 AM, keefr22 said:

Any seats left, I'd like to watch this one come together too...!

Keith

Come on in Keith, plenty of room left!

First job today was to get the detail in the main wheel bays. There isn't much, and I'm not going to bother with adding all the reinforcing strips to the inside of the upper wing skin, so all I really needed to do was add some basic framing at the front end, and the casting that is about half way back to which the retraction rams attach. 

Job done.

40053803122_bb5f287500_k.jpg

Then it was on to something a little more daunting. The fuselage.

I sent most of the afternoon thinking it through and trying to decide on the best way to go about it. Before I did any cutting at all I sanded down the underside to as near flat as I could get it, which also removed that weird blob moulded underneath the wing centre section. As you can see, it still isn't quite as flat as it should be, but the plastic is now very thin so the rest is going to have to be done with surgery.

39375361654_1996d2a8a4_k.jpg

It took quite a while to figure out what was going on, as the front of the wing appeared to be in the correct position, but the rear wasn't, yet the angle of the wing looked ok. Then I twigged it - the top of the cockpit sides, which were my reference, are too low! The whole of the cockpit side needs to be raised up a little, from the gunner's position all the way forward! 

I then marked out where I was going to cut. I decided to cut two pieces. This is because if I raise the whole wing then the fairing at the root will be too high, and the aft end of that is ok, it just needs to be brought up at the front. Here's what I decided on

40053801142_47e4fd5564_k.jpg

Cut out one large piece, including the rear wing root, then separate the root fairing.

39375359964_e06d3652ab_k.jpg

This will allow me to sand the front of the fairing part only, effectively allowing me to tilt it and keep the rear aligned properly.

I used the standard procedure for vacform kits to remove the parts. A micro saw either end, then score along the cut point with a knife blade run back and forth a few times. When it was deep enough to bend, I simply bent it along the score line repeatedly until it snapped off. The rear was then sawn off.

No going back now!

28305960519_d0f5d78a1f_k.jpg

a little sanding, and the parts have now been reattached.

40053805632_50d93341a0_k.jpg

The wing has been raised by almost one row of rivet-marked panels! Needless to say, the rest will be removed in due course!

They'll stay there until tomorrow as I want them good and solid so I can use them as a reference for the other side.

That's all for tonight, night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Hope you don't mind my following the build, I like a bit of cut and shunt :wink:

I would tend to use several copies of the plans so I could cut out a nice easy to use section to match up as required. Saves a lot of time attempting to match the kit against a whole sheet all the time.

Gondor

• Like 1

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The wing has been raised by almost one row of rivet-marked panels! Needless to say, the rest will be removed in due course!

They'll stay there until tomorrow as I want them good and solid so I can use them as a reference for the other side.

Assuming they are the same either side...:whistle:

Excellent workmanship and giving me the urge to acquire one, (or more), for the stash whence next able...

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 6:31 AM, wyverns4 said:

Assuming they are the same either side...:whistle:

Please don't temp fate!

Today was episode 2 of the fuselage saga. The parts were duly removed, sanded, and reattached as shown above, using the completed side as a reference to make sure they matched up. 

This is the first side, placed over the plans. I think that's a huge improvement!

39393123644_4380cbfca0_k.jpg

Compared to what it was....

25232957117_f5abfab589_k.jpg

This is what I was confused by in the measuring process - the cockpit sides being too low.

26230955958_5d539a3c97_k.jpg

Both sides are now complete and taped together to ensure they stay in the correct position.

40105292451_8ed00518cd_k.jpg

Thoughts then turned to the tail, or more accurately, the horizontal stabilisers and elevators. The elevators are slightly too narrow chord wise, and also are not long enough. The kit has the elevators stopping at the same point as the horizontal stabs, but they should actually be a little longer. Part of the moulding on the tail needs to be removed and the elevators extended accordingly. I did take a pic of the tail marked up with the bits to be removed, but my camera seems to have got hungry, and it appears to have eaten that particular shot. Anyway, the necessary amount was removed from the moulded-on fairing inboard of the elevators, leaving me with this.

39393127184_0d7c2f28b3_k.jpg

I think the only way to get from that, to this

40072405892_50a60e684d_k.jpg

is to sand the tail to the correct round shape, and add a small extension to the elevators. Once they have been shaped correctly, I will use a microsaw to remove the ends and attach those bits to the fuselage. That way the little fairing pieces on the tail will match exactly to the elevators. The same technique will be used for the rudder.

The tail was then duly sanded down and the holes left by removing the plastic were filled with scrap.

39393125824_cb1a147316_k.jpg

Last job today, attach all the necessary bits of plastic to the elevators so that they can be resized and reshaped.

40072404102_777d75b7b3_z.jpg

Lots of gluing going on, but not in the way Airfix intended!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 22

Strewth, Airfix specified a rivet size on the fin to ensure there was absolutely no chance of structural failure there....!! :D

Cracking work so far Ian, inspiring stuff (although it's actually inspiring me to take the easy way out & start my Classic Airframe fumble thumb scale one! :lol:)

Keith

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 4:10 PM, TheBaron said:

Fortune favours time bold and this is bold modelling at its very best.

Thanks Tony, more boldness to follow.....

On 2/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, keefr22 said:

Strewth, Airfix specified a rivet size on the fin to ensure there was absolutely no chance of structural failure there....!! :D

They did indeed, alas all now gone, along with their brethren on the fuselage.....

On 2/5/2018 at 6:29 PM, DJJunis said:

Ian,

Looking good! Keep it up.

All the Best!

Don

Thanks Don!

On 2/5/2018 at 7:34 PM, AdrianMF said:

Super swordsmanship! Looks good. And more like a Battle!

Regards,

Adrian

Getting there, slowly but surely! Thanks Adrian!

On 2/6/2018 at 12:20 AM, wyverns4 said:

Looking good and making it all look so effortless! ;)

To be honest, when it's fun, it almost is effortless. It's the ones that become a chore that are the difficult ones!

A little more progress made today. The elevators and horizontal stabilisers received some more sanding, and a little more added plastic, then I turned my attention to the last of the major surgeries needed on the fuselage - the nose.

Looking at the plans it is easy to see where the error is in the nose section....

28346269599_ff28525cf9_k.jpg

40127114581_3fb7c023e0_k.jpg

The panel between the front of the windshield and the rear of the exhausts is too short. From the exhausts forward it matches up pretty well. That helps a lot with the cutting, simply hack it off at the panel line just behind the exhausts and insert the spacer there.

Like so! 

39415159134_783b31d86e_k.jpg

If you're at all like me, it doesn't matter how clearly marked the cut line is, the cut is still not going to be straight, so the cut edges were sanded flat and square to ensure a straight nose (pic is after the corrective sanding!)

Spacer to be added tomorrow.....

'Night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 13

Nice rhinoplasty!

To cut square and straight I purchased a micro mitre box and a hobby saw, (whatever they are called, brain is on a go slow). Tape and wedge what needs cutting and hey presto, job done. IIRC mine came from Chronos Ltd, Dunstable, www.chronos.ltd.uk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amazing work so far! I remember building the Airfix Battle many years ago and quite liking it. I knew the nose and tail was off, but had no idea the rest of the kit was so wonky!

• Like 1

How the heck did I miss this thread! Fantastic skills their Ian, well impressed.:yes:

Move up a bit lads...need a seat.:popcorn:

Ian, after you have severely corrected your Battle, are you planning to re-rivet the girl, of course not?:whistle:

Stuart

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 12:25 AM, wyverns4 said:

Nice rhinoplasty!

To cut square and straight I purchased a micro mitre box and a hobby saw, (whatever they are called, brain is on a go slow). Tape and wedge what needs cutting and hey presto, job done. IIRC mine came from Chronos Ltd, Dunstable, www.chronos.ltd.uk

Good idea, I'll look for one. Thanks!

On 2/7/2018 at 3:10 AM, DMC said:

My kind of modelling.  I usually pick up a tip or two on your builds.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, nice to know my ideas are useful!

On 2/7/2018 at 4:35 AM, Courageous said:

How the heck did I miss this thread! Fantastic skills their Ian, well impressed.:yes:

Move up a bit lads...need a seat.:popcorn:

Ian, after you have severely corrected your Battle, are you planning to re-rivet the girl, of course not?:whistle:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart! No, there will be no re-riveting!

On 2/7/2018 at 4:43 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Loving this!  Proper modelling.

Thanks Crisp, welcome aboard! (sorry, no piping!)

On 2/8/2018 at 5:00 PM, The Spadgent said:

Wonderful work Ian. I saw this last week but didn’t have time to read it properly. A truly epic challenge you have here. I’ll tag along for the ride if you don’t mind. Thanks for a lovely catch up. 

Johnny. 

I don't mind at all Johnny, welcome!

I've managed to fit little sessions in here and there over the last few days, and we're progressing, if slowly!

The nose fillets have been added and sanded to "close", final shaping will be done after it's all put together. At least now the length is correct!

39272291935_7662a22a66_k.jpg

I've also added miliput to the inside of the nose piece, top and bottom, as it will need reprofiling and I don't want to sand through to nothing!

Now back to the other end. The horizontal stabilisers and elevators have been thinned and reshaped. A little more detail to be carved into the trailing edges at the inner end of the trim tabs, where they curve, but otherwise they're done.

26297950988_59c92b6ee2_k.jpg

Lastly, a couple of fillets added to the fin to correct the shape of that too.

26298047308_441d20d66d_k.jpg

Almost time to start looking at the interior. I have received the Hurricane resin set I ordered and may well be able to use some of that, but there will be a lot of scratchbuilding also.

Have a nice day all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 14

As already said...good old fashioned, proper modelling!

For those so inclined, such as myself, a build like this is so satisfying and rewarding. I can almost feel the urge to try and correct a Starfix kit! :deadhorse:

Just an aside, this thread had me looking on EvilBay for an Airfix Battle. Practically all the available kits seem to be in the US for some reason!

Edit: Whilst on Satan's auction site, I had a quick peek at the Starfix kits. £13.99 for a Starfix Spitfire Mk Ia/IX/XIV Combo or whatever it represents!!

They're avin' a Giraffe! :lol::drunk::hmmm::mental:

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 12:47 PM, fightersweep said:

As already said...good old fashioned, proper modelling!

For those so inclined, such as myself, a build like this is so satisfying and rewarding. I can almost feel the urge to try and correct a Starfix kit! :deadhorse:

Just an aside, this thread had me looking on EvilBay for an Airfix Battle. Practically all the available kits seem to be in the US for some reason!

Edit: Whilst on Satan's auction site, I had a quick peek at the Starfix kits. £13.99 for a Starfix Spitfire Mk Ia/IX/XIV Combo or whatever it represents!!

They're avin' a Giraffe! :lol::drunk::hmmm::mental:

Thanks FS! I must admit, it took a while to find a suitable kit on evilbay. Starfix.....that's another level entirely..........

A little more progress today on the nose. I completed most of the rough reprofiling and started on the radiator area. The first job was to open up the front end and reshape the underside. The first half done....

39484918034_9da8b7e732_k.jpg

The other half was matched to that. The rear half needed a little more work as it had been raised with the wing section, so the first job there was to cut the moulding off and sand it all smooth. I added a false floor with .020" sheet.

39298516295_444c89f76e_k.jpg

The radiators will be added once that is all dry.

My current plan is to crash mould the rear half of the radiator shroud, but that will be done later when the fuselage halves are joined, and of course, plans may change!

The last hour or so today was spent cutting out and sanding the Falcon canopy so that the fuselage can be corrected before starting on the interior. This is the first time I've used a vac canopy, I had no idea how much work would be involved!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 16

Wow!   I've been following this while on my northern treks. What a project!  

This is the type of project that makes me drool at the mouth - lots of cutting and shutting - loads of problems to solve and issues to deal with. What more could you ask for!

• Like 1