An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Ian :) 

Thanks Ced

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Your careful craftsmanship is really paying off Ian. She's starting to really look the part. Excellent work around the cockpit. Love it.

Terry

Thanks Terry, more to come there....

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

Your work in the cockpit area has certainly made an outstanding difference!

Roger 

Thanks Roger, as above, more to come!

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking work Ian, she's really starting to look how a Battle should!

Keith

Ta Keith, I love it when a plan comes together!

I've been playing around with the rear cockpit today, trying to sort out the lines around the gun cone. I've also decided to try to look for other options regarding the cone itself as the modified kit item just isn't up to it. I'm not sure yet whether to go with plunge moulding around a paintbrush handle or using thin aluminium from a beer can.....pics when I have something to show!

Ian

• Like 3

I'm liking this one a lot. Great work in the pit, and I'm looking forward to the separation of the canopy. Why, oh why don't we have a modern, accurate, high quality tooling of the Battle? It certainly deserves it. I have the MPM target tug version, and I really need to pull that one out of the loft. I haven't put yellow and black stripes on a model since....well, er, my last build but one.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2018 at 3:26 AM, Navy Bird said:

I'm liking this one a lot. Great work in the pit, and I'm looking forward to the separation of the canopy. Why, oh why don't we have a modern, accurate, high quality tooling of the Battle? It certainly deserves it. I have the MPM target tug version, and I really need to pull that one out of the loft. I haven't put yellow and black stripes on a model since....well, er, my last build but one.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill! I don't know the answer to that question and I must admit this surely must rank as one of the most nostalgic of early war RAF aircraft, due to the huge sacrifice of their crews rather than the success of the aircraft. Having said that, I do hope a 1:72 offering is not "just around the corner" - purely for selfish reasons!

On 11/17/2018 at 3:46 PM, DennisTheBear said:

Ah, the excellence continues! Bookmarking this thread for my (eventual) battle with a Battle.

DennisTheBear

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing that Dennis!

Tonight's efforts centred around the gun cone. I decided to try plunge moulding, but instead of the paintbrush handle I sanded a buck out of a piece of balsa. This is what I ended up with.

44124038360_5fc6794c51_k.jpg

The buck CA'd onto a toothpick, and a hole drilled and opened out with a round file to just a little bigger than the buck, hopefully enough to allow for the thickness of the plastic sheet. I used .010" sheet and the first effort gave me this

45216171184_30b3cd0c01_k.jpg

That looked pretty hopeful so I trimmed it out and ended up with a traffic cone!

45216169134_708b477eba_k.jpg

A little more trimming and sanding, and it seems to fit pretty well!

45216165634_e2d1e8e2c5_k.jpg

45940346731_a9e40b12e2_k.jpg

44124042020_4bbc683aa1_k.jpg

I think I can live with that! A little more refinement, and some detailing and it should be ok.

My other efforts focused on the interior, specifically the radios. For some reason I had neglected to add anything, so a piece of plastic rod painted black, and some spare PE from the cockpit set gave me a little "interest" to add. I have no idea what the PE is supposed to represent in the Hurricane cockpit, certainly not radios, but at least it looks better than nothing!

45216160354_19f26d643c_k.jpg

Next up we'll see if that gun cone works, and can be trimmed well enough....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 21

Only just discovered that this is back in motion. Super extra detailing and the plunge moulded cone looks OK to me. Such a simple but useful technique. This is going to be very similar to one of the Baron's builds: a model based on an Airfix kit, but with rather more white and metal bits and filler than origial kit! Great stuff Ian - keep it coming.

P

• Like 1

Lovely piece of moulding there Ian. May resort to that approach myself on the Sedbergh replacement windshields. I'm having trouble getting the correct identical shape in both parts. 

Terry

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 11:01 PM, pheonix said:

Only just discovered that this is back in motion. Super extra detailing and the plunge moulded cone looks OK to me. Such a simple but useful technique. This is going to be very similar to one of the Baron's builds: a model based on an Airfix kit, but with rather more white and metal bits and filler than origial kit! Great stuff Ian - keep it coming.

P

Thanks P! There are some Airfix parts in there somewhere, but none of them are as Airfix intended!

On 11/19/2018 at 1:53 AM, hendie said:

nice plunging Ian.   I've no idea what a 'gun cone' looks like, but stick a flake in that and you're off to the races.

Hopefully you will soon find out! I don't think I'm quite up to a 1:72 scale "99".....

On 11/19/2018 at 3:59 AM, DJJunis said:

Looking brilliant Ian!

All the Best!

Don

Cheers Don!

On 11/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, CedB said:

Great plunging Ian - looks good to me :) 

Thanks Ced! I think it will do...see below.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, Putty Animal said:

Wonderful stuff!   So nice to see the Battle get the attention it deserves.   :)

Thanks PA, any more progress on that lovely little FE?

On 11/19/2018 at 7:42 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Delighted to see this beastie back.  I too have never understood why it has so little kit love.  

Thanks Crisp, that has to be one of modelling's unanswered questions....

On 11/20/2018 at 3:41 AM, Terry1954 said:

Lovely piece of moulding there Ian. May resort to that approach myself on the Sedbergh replacement windshields. I'm having trouble getting the correct identical shape in both parts. 

Terry

It really is very simple Terry, the whole thing took just over an hour, including sanding the buck.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:37 AM, massimo said:

You seem to have settled quite well in your new home and your modelling skills are intacted!!!

Very convincing update!!!

Looks promising!!!

I have indeed, thanks Massimo! The skills are more intact than some of the built models were unfortunately. Most have been repaired, but the Short 184 may be a write off....

A little more progress has been made in the last couple of days, mainly on the gun cone. I slid the buck back into it to cut out the upper surface as it's too thin to do it without any support.

After id had been cut out, I cut two thin slices of plastic rod - I just happened to have sizes that fitted inside the cone perfectly - and glued them inside as strengtheners. The inner one should have lightening holes drilled into it, but there is a limit! When they were dry they were carefully filled to shape inside, making them thinner towards the top. The first half of the mounting was made from .010" sheet, cut to the same curve as the rear canopy, and filled to shape, with further strips of .010" as strengtheners. 

45072248635_9ab3a8831d_k.jpg

45260011894_3cf87e1f69_k.jpg

and with the final strengthening strips added

32113207048_cd3c5b09c0_k.jpg

31045181357_0cd6aac1c1_k.jpg

I think you'll agree that's a huge improvement over the kit piece, even after i tried to modify it!

Lastly today I turned my attention to the tail end, intending to add the hinges. That was when I noticed that one of the elevators sat further forward than the other! It turned out the left side had been cut a little too far forward and although the elevator was the correct size, I had to add a strip of .015" to the rear of the horizontal stabilizer to even the two up. While I was there I also added a strip to the top of the fin to improve the fit. They will get sanded down tomorrow when they're fully dry.

45260014264_3ff4a91b4e_k.jpg

So that's how she sits tonight.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 17

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

There are some Airfix parts in there somewhere, but none of them are as Airfix intended!

Quite possibly, they're much closer to what Airfix intended than what they ended up with, I do hope someone at Airfix is watching this & realising now is the time for a new Battle, I'll be so grateful for your efforts. :D

Steve.

• Like 2