An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

Nice smooth sanded bits Ian, good job :)

Can't wait to see that new nose - it's started well IMHO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow. I have just caught up again. What fantastic work. This is a truly inspiring build.

Thank you for sharing this. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, glad you're enjoying it!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hopefully Airfix can track you down & put their Lidar gizmo over this when you're done Ian, I'd be happy with it. :)

Steve.

hmmm, not sure it's quite that accurate Steve, but I definitely appreciate the sentiment!

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice smooth sanded bits Ian, good job :)

Can't wait to see that new nose - it's started well IMHO.

Can't beat nice, smooth, bits Ced! New nose coming up.......

10 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice work so far! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan, welcome aboard!

I've had a pretty good day today!

First off, the plug was drilled out to accept the prop,

27094862007_6344cf0339_h.jpg

and added to the nose. The prop slips nicely into the hole and can be removed, so that will not be added permanently until the end of the build

41244830874_02df0f9065_h.jpg

27094860167_fc3d0d432b_h.jpg

After that, thanks to @dad's lad, I added the holes (windows?) in the decking between the pilot and gunner. I drilled a line of small holes, then connected them up with a new scalpel blade, before widening the slot with gradually larger drill bits.

27094858767_f29a952e52_h.jpg

The last job today was to make up some bucks for the rear of the radiator fairing and the wheel fairings. A piece of balsa and a sanding stick were all that was required, and then negative was just a shaped hole cut into a sheet of basswood.

41244837124_72b7af575e_h.jpg

The radiator fairing still needs a little more work, and may even need to be redone, but it's on its way......

41244834904_a36ec4303a_h.jpg

The wheel fairings are still an unknown quantity, I'll look at those tomorrow.

27094863537_ca7816261f_h.jpg

More tomorrow!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Can't beat nice, smooth, bits Ced

I've read right through to the end & can see that Ced missed it, or maybe he's just too gentlemanly, so in his stead. Fnnaar, fnnaar. :D

Steve.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've read right through to the end & can see that Ced missed it, or maybe he's just too gentlemanly, so in his stead. Fnnaar, fnnaar. :D

Thanks Steve :)

I had been trying to curtail my double entendres but it seems they're missed but the majority (or at least the vocal minority)...

I'll try to get a grip in the future (snurf snurf) :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks chaps!

I got a little more done today with yesterday's mouldings. I'm still not too sure about the radiator cowling, but I'll carry on with it and see what it looks like when it's all properly blended in.

Here's how it looks after trimming it up

41941145832_d7fb2de910_h.jpg

41941145142_a03119d39a_h.jpg

and after cutting out and sanding the wheel fairings, I added some Mr Dissolved Putty to the radiator cowling. Then I just needed to fine tune the wheel fairings to see how they looked.

41941144462_c607aacb83_h.jpg

41941143822_41ebf14fa7_h.jpg

41941142962_b10c032f5b_h.jpg

The wheel fairings will be fitted at the rear first, then pushed down at the front to make sure they sit properly. I'm happy with the way these have turned out, and I should only need to add the drilled out front plates later.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 16

On 5/9/2018 at 2:04 AM, CedB said:

Very nice Ian, that all looks good to me :)

Thanks Ced, always good to have a back-up opinion! And Stuart & Keith for back-up back ups!

On 5/9/2018 at 6:36 AM, Terry1954 said:

This gets even better every time I take a look.

Great stuff Ian, keep on Battling!

Terry

Cheers Terry! Delays are, however, imminent.....

On 5/9/2018 at 7:05 AM, AdrianMF said:

Nice plunge moulding! It's really starting to look like a Battle (the Fairey one, not a fight against the plastic).

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Don't mention the radiator cowling. I did once, but I think I got away with it....

On 5/9/2018 at 9:12 AM, massimo said:

Very well done Ian!!!

Love those vac formad addings!!!:clap:And , as Adrian says,it really looks like the Fairey one!!!:rofl:

Many thanks Massimo, my friend! It's all about Faireys..... (Ced?)

On 5/9/2018 at 11:58 AM, Azgaron said:

Nice work! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan!

On 5/9/2018 at 2:36 PM, Martian Hale said:

Most inspirational!

Inspired of Mars 👽

That's quite a compliment, coming from the Mars-ter of inspiration, many thanks!

Well folks, the time has come (the walrus said)....I have to fly out to Abu Dhabi tomorrow night for 2 weeks training, then I'll be back home long enough to pack the house up and relocate. Needless to say the models have already been packed so no more will be done for at least 3 months, when I'll be able to get my own apartment and start setting things up again.

Thanks for following along and I'll keep you posted as soon as any progress is made. 

Meanwhile I'll be sticking my oar into various other threads once in a while just to let you all know I'm still breathing!

À bientôt mes amis!

Ian

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Ooh. Left us on a cliffhanger with that nose haven't you Ian. That really is a magnificent array of corrections that you created around the various parts of that airframe.

Limepilotus Magnificat!

• Like 1

Have a good move Ian and I hope all goes well (even if it is going to be HOT!).

Best wishes from me :D 

• Like 1