An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

Good luck on the relocation. Don’t forget the Factor 100!

Looking forward to the next instalment, but in the meantime.......

Trevor Studio-Announcement

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Well folks, a while back I mentioned "at least 3 months". That was, I just noted, on May 15th. I move into my new apartment on Aug 27th so that was a pretty accurate guess! 

I hope to see you all back here very soon!

Ian

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen, the Battle is back on the bench!

I tried to post a small update a couple of hours ago but the site wasn't co-operating. I have repaired most of the damage done to other models during the move, and, needing to do something a little more productive than repairs to already completed models, have dug this out again.

Today was mostly spent trying to remember where I was and what I was going to do (not an uncommon problem!) but I did tidy up a few things: straightened the left horizontal stabilizer and reinforced it with CA gel, and added a skim of PPP under the wing centre section which had rippled slightly due to the glue acting on the thin card skin. I hope PPP can be scribed......

I will post pics when there is something pic-worthy!

Ian

• Like 13

I still can't get the forum to open at my home for some reason, but I have been able to open it at work now it's lunchtime so here are a couple of pics.

Yesterday was spent on more refinements. Another layer or two of PPP on the belly and that is now nice and smooth! I seem to have mislaid the pics of that but never mind, more later! That took the majority of yesterday's time, but I got a couple of other jobs done too.....

Next I decided to take a look at the wing tips. My main worry was how to get from this

45758497642_80569fe8cb_k.jpg[/url]

to this

44894884135_d5b86c35ff_k.jpg

a lot of sanding was the answer! So out came the sanding sticks and I set to work. The result?

44894886175_7825677125_k.jpg

I'm happy with that! It's not perfect but it's a lot closer to what it should be and doesn't look like the edge of a plank!

Finally I made and fitted a carburetor intake. The pics of that are still on my phone so I'll have to post those later too.

I'm now toying with ideas put into my head by @The Baron as far as the wing root fairings and reinforcing strips go, and will be looking into adding those with thin metal foil. Those need to be added, and the final corrections and additions of the lower rear cockpit windows made, and then I should be ready to start re-scribing it all.  That will be a first for me and I'm not really looking forward to it, but it has to be done!

Catch you later,

Ian

• Like 11

I, too, am also happy to see progress starting again. I need a Battle for my 1940 collection, but with Airfix so far forgetting to produce a new tooling, and the MPM kit rarer than rocking horse poop, I rather fear I shall have to get with the plastic surgery on the old Airfix warhorse after all. This thread is already bookmarked for reference!

• Like 1

Lovely to see this back in the running Ian.

The new wing tips are coming along most shapely. Make a good job of it won't you, because I'm going to be shamelessly copying this thread when starting a Battle of mine own at some future date.

I don't think you can go wrong with metal foil for the tasks you outline. :nodding:

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:20 PM, Max Headroom said:

Welcome back!

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, good to be back on it!

On 11/9/2018 at 10:11 PM, neil5208 said:

Look forward to see some more progress

Thanks, so am I Neil, hopefully some more to come!

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see this back underway.  Wingtip looks good. 

Keep up the good work 

All the best 

Chris 

Cheers Chris, I must admit though, anything would have been an improvement on the originals!

9 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice to see this one back

Like what you have achieved with the wing tips. Don't envy you the rescribing job though! 

Roger

Thanks! I was hoping someone would jump in and offer to do it for me, I think I was wrong....

8 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I, too, am also happy to see progress starting again. I need a Battle for my 1940 collection, but with Airfix so far forgetting to produce a new tooling, and the MPM kit rarer than rocking horse poop, I rather fear I shall have to get with the plastic surgery on the old Airfix warhorse after all. This thread is already bookmarked for reference!

Go for it Heather, it is after all, only sticking bits of plastic card on and sanding a lot!

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Lovely to see this back in the running Ian.

The new wing tips are coming along most shapely. Make a good job of it won't you, because I'm going to be shamelessly copying this thread when starting a Battle of mine own at some future date.

I don't think you can go wrong with metal foil for the tasks you outline. :nodding:

I will do my best your B'ship. You have a lot to answer for, so a little payback is due! 😁

5 hours ago, hendie said:

oh goody it's back on again.  It's been so long that I'll need to back and reread to familiarize myself with the story so far

Easily summarised: Cut it up, stick white bits on, fill it, sand it! Repeat ad infinitum...

Touch wood I seem to have got the site working again at home by resetting my browser...we shall see!

Anyway, here are some more pics, as promised yesterday. Firstly the new carb intake sanded out of a piece of plastic strip and then drilled...and a load of PPP around the wing leading edge where I cut it...(note preceding comment!)

45780737372_0df50eec5f_k.jpg

45105267434_835299f6ee_k.jpg

and after tonight's little sanding bout, the final look

44917145675_a441dcc621_k.jpg

45830140061_2d277d52b4_k.jpg

45830128681_b442bf06eb_k.jpg

and just for @CedB, a nice smooth bottom!

45830134091_1af7bc390e_k.jpg

Having used up all of tonight's modelling time messing around with trying to get the site working again, that's all for today. See you all soon, and I'm already planning for next year at Telford!

Ian

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Nice to see her back Ian, especially with a nice smooth bottom. I like a nice smooth bottom as you know (fnaar!) :D 

Is that PPP on the wing root? Have you tried the 'smooth it with a wet finger' technique? Saves a lot of sanding and, sometimes, you need none at all. Sometimes.

Nice wingtips too, good job.

• Like 1

Looking good! You can minimise scribing by just doing the removable or opening panels and then draw on a hint of the other lines with a pencil after painting. That may save you some heartache with scribing over PPP too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 11:55 PM, massimo said:

That sounds like a good idea!!!

I may see you there!!!

Nice to see you back to the working bench!!!

This project has been missed!!!

That would be great Massimo, hopefully I'll be able to bring some of my models, including this one!

On 11/12/2018 at 12:09 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Intakes look great. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Cheers Chris!

On 11/12/2018 at 1:35 AM, keefr22 said:

More good progress after the restart Ian! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Keith. There would be more frequent postings but my network keeps crashing. I have now figured out how to access the site again - I have to reboot my router every time which is a right royal pain. Time to call the internet company!

On 11/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, CedB said:

Nice to see her back Ian, especially with a nice smooth bottom. I like a nice smooth bottom as you know (fnaar!) :D 

Is that PPP on the wing root? Have you tried the 'smooth it with a wet finger' technique? Saves a lot of sanding and, sometimes, you need none at all. Sometimes.

Nice wingtips too, good job.

I thought that might appeal Ced! I have a set of clay modelers spatulae (is that correct?) which are great for smoothing and forming miliput and PPP.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:52 PM, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! You can minimise scribing by just doing the removable or opening panels and then draw on a hint of the other lines with a pencil after painting. That may save you some heartache with scribing over PPP too.

Regards,

Adrian

That may well be the plan to go with Adrian, thanks!

On 11/12/2018 at 11:37 PM, Martian Hale said:

Great, the Franken Battle is back!

Martian 👽

The what??? Oh, FRANKEN! Must take more time to read words properly! 

On 11/12/2018 at 11:55 PM, Terry1954 said:

Great to have this back on line again Ian!

Terry

It's good to be back on it Terry! 

On 11/13/2018 at 1:02 AM, Courageous said:

Nice to see progress on this girl. The filling sequence seems to have worked a treat.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. It certainly seems to have done so, but as we all know, the priming will tell the truth!

On 11/13/2018 at 1:48 AM, bbudde said:

Very nice work Ian. A promising potpourri of old plastic, evergreen/plaststruct and putty/filler. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt! Isn't that what every model is? 😉

Sorry for the delay in responding folks, but as noted above, I have been unable to access the forum from home and have only just figured out the problem. 
Needless to say there has been a little more progress.

I moved onto the cockpit area, which should have been finished ages ago but I got it wrong and have now to correct it! The longerons in the rear cockpit were too low so I had to add a piece of .020" to bring it up to the correct level. The top surface of the existing piece was cleaned of paint so it would stick properly and the sheet was marked using that as a reference.

45864830721_8dc2c6e769_k.jpg

Said piece of plastic after cutting it out and shaping with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a pencil. Don't say I never give you guys any excitement!

44951786955_0627857581_k.jpg

It was then glued in place and given a light PPP coat to blend it in. Of course if I'd paid attention at the beginning I would have been able to simply shape the existing kit plastic instead of removing it all and then replacing it! You'll also notice that I have added strips of .020" square rod to the pilot's cockpit sides to bring them to the correct height. That would not be necessary if you want to model it with the canopy closed as the side frames would hide these, but with it open, they need to be there. They have also been filled and sanded. Again, it would have been much easier to have done this before adding the interior. I have no idea why I didn't as I knew about it from the start!

44951791185_8355a4d6c6_k.jpg

A pic with the gun mount added, showing that it is now central - another small shim of .010" strip was added to the left (right as you look here) side to centre it properly. I will also add a couple of small pieces to the mount itself to bring it to meet the fuselage sides properly.

45887296251_c1d4cd4aee_k.jpg

I now have to work out how to add the very slight upwards curve of the fuselage top where it fairs into the gun mount. Maybe a little more PPP?

Finally, a test fit of the canopies. First the centre and rear parts

32016189548_1b7ce18c30_k.jpg

and then the windscreen and pilot's canopy

32016191708_a007c4b861_k.jpg

This of course won't fit properly now until I separate the windscreen, as the new side strips prevent that. I mounted it so that one side fitted, to make sure that the new additions ended in the right place, ie snug up against the lower rear of the windscreen.

That's everything up to date for now. I still need to do the hinges on the elevators and rudder, and mark out a new tail wheel position as the kit one is too far forward. Then I think a coat of primer will be in order before I make a start on the scribing. I'll do that before I fit the undercarriage fairings as there is a long panel line running under them and it will be easier to do it in one go.

Thanks for tuning in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
duplicated pic
  • Like 18