An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

As I have run out of superlatives, I am going to revert back to datum appreciation comments ,so that I can work up to final crescendo.

internals are Good :) 

Box On 

Strickers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Any update on this,am getting withdrawal symptoms ☺

Sorry, but there isn't I'm afraid. Worse than that, I'm currently in Dallas training for a new job (Embraer 145 type rating, then an instructor course) and will be here until at least early April, then I relocate to Abu Dhabi and will be in a hotel for about 3 months while my stuff is shipped over! Consequently I can't see me getting any more modeling time in for at least that long......

I'll pop in when I can to make a nuisance of myself though!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Sorry, but there isn't I'm afraid. Worse than that, I'm currently in Dallas training for a new job (Embraer 145 type rating, then an instructor course) and will be here until at least early April, then I relocate to Abu Dhabi and will be in a hotel for about 3 months while my stuff is shipped over! Consequently I can't see me getting any more modeling time in for at least that long......

I'll pop in when I can to make a nuisance of myself though!

Ian

Good luck on your course Ian,☺

• Like 1

Good luck with the courses Ian and I hope the move goes well.

Embraer 145 training, 3 months in a hotel, Abu Dhabi... sounds like you have some fun ahead! Do the BA crews still 'hang out' in the Hilton bar? (He said, thinking back to when dinosaurs roamed the Earth)

I suppose the clue was in the Moniker,  not that I'm jealous or anything, sat here waiting to send out the gritters.

Texas then the Gulf, I must have shot a robin!

All the best 

Box On

Strickers

Edited by HAMP man
Manners

Thanks all. I think I've dodged a bullet with the timing too, as I live on Cape Cod which is currently being battered by a huge storm. 

Anyone in the NE USA going through  Skylar, stay safe!

Ian 

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Embraer 145 type rating

As we have to give the whole post a like Ian, I have to clarify it was actually for the above, & not the lack of modelling! That is a lovely looking jet and I'm not in the least bit jealous of you getting to fly it, nope, not at all I'm not! Good luck with all the training & the relocation - couldn't get much more of a difference in climate, could you...?!

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi folks!

I'm back home (at least for a short while) and so am trying to make the most of the opportunity to get some more done on this one.

I spent yesterday fiddling around with ridiculously small PE seatbelts, and eventually got them all done. Today the seats were fitted, along with last bits of internal detail (the flap and seat adjustment levers). 

Here's a last look at the internals.

39894294840_ac924eae70_h.jpg

39894296500_3cf4ecc446_h.jpg

I could add more, but I don't feel the need to go over the top, it looks busy enough for my taste so that will do it!

The radiator (ok, a piece of scrap plastic rod painted black) was added and the fuselage was closed up. She now looks like this.

27832721578_93cb332b89_h.jpg

That's it for today. Tomorrow I'll start cleaning it all up. I have a feeling I may be some time.........

Ian 

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 28

Nice to see you back home Ian!!!

now you can stop biting your fingernails!!!🐿️😛

Great work on those seats!!!

Well done!

Anyway, don't spend all your time modelling; get a travelling tool-kit ready for the next time you have to go somewhere else, so in the future we won't have to wait so long for an update!!!

• Like 1

Hi Ian

I have just caught up with this build, aren't you going to miss rigging and woodwork effects ? :wicked:

Seriously it looks the business.

I built this kit as a nipper, I always remember it was so much bigger than I expected. I thought it would be Hurricane or Defiant sized !

Already looking forward to the next instalment

cheers Pat  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 3:32 PM, massimo said:

Nice to see you back home Ian!!!

now you can stop biting your fingernails!!!🐿️😛

Great work on those seats!!!

Well done!

Anyway, don't spend all your time modelling; get a travelling tool-kit ready for the next time you have to go somewhere else, so in the future we won't have to wait so long for an update!!!

Thanks Massimo, although I'm not sure how long it will be for. I got home on Sunday evening and on Monday received an email saying it had been decided that I would finish the training I was going to do in Abu Dhabi, in Dallas. So I have to go back! No chance on stopping the nail biting I'm afraid. Quiting smoking was a piece of cake in comparison!

On 4/26/2018 at 5:03 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Ian

I have just caught up with this build, aren't you going to miss rigging and woodwork effects ? :wicked:

Seriously it looks the business.

I built this kit as a nipper, I always remember it was so much bigger than I expected. I thought it would be Hurricane or Defiant sized !

Already looking forward to the next instalment

cheers Pat  

Thanks Pat!  It's bigger than I expected too! Next installment coming right up......

Well, after leaving it all trussed up overnight, I took pity on it today and have made a start on tidying it all up.

Here's what the underside looked like...pretty horrible!

41724463721_2854d84861_h.jpg

I'd already thinned that area dangerously thin, so thought the best plan of attack to even it up would be to add a skin of .010" card to level it all up, then sand it down to blend in the edges.

First with the card added...

41724462391_e04dde3abe_h.jpg

You'll also notice that the nose has been added. Reprofiling that correctly took up a lot of time, and some glue goo was added to a couple of areas both on the nose, and other joints to increase their strength and enable rescribing later.

After the nose job was complete, and I'd sanded down the skin on the underside, I added some PPP to the joints to make sure they are all ok. That will be dealt with tomorrow.

41006917594_fb19f879a3_h.jpg

41724465151_0da90c02b5_h.jpg

41006913084_dff623c827_h.jpg

Last job for today was to add a couple of brass pins in the wheel wells for the gear to attach to. My plan is to add the gear at the end, so I don't knock it off. But I needed to make it strong, so I've added the pins. The gear will be made up from brass/ally tube and rod, and attached to the cross piece which will be plastic "I" bar, a little oversized but I couldn't find any smaller than 1.5mm. One side of the bar will  be filed to shape to give the mounting lugs for the lateral braces, the other, when all has been attached to it, will be epoxied to the brass pins. Should hold up!

41006915234_bb9f679dc2_h.jpg

That's it for this evening.

Oh look, beer thirty!

'Night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 14