The Black Watch

Ratch

This kit was originally tooled in 1972 and was released from 1973 to 1978 and again from 1991 to 1994.  My first purchase was from MR & ME Models in Kempston, probably around 2006. It is blister packed and in good condition. Construction is illustrated in six stages. The mouldings are in white plastic on two runners. A choice of arms is provided; the parts have fine detail and parts should be interchangeable with other kits in this series. Thin plastic sheet is included for the various belts and straps. Shoulder straps with wings for grenadiers are provided along with the worsted tufts worn by centre companies.
413759350.jpg
History:                                                                                                                                   
In 1809 the Highland corps consisted of the 42nd, 78th, 79th, 92nd and 93rd regiments. In addition to the kilt these Scottish troops also wore feathered bonnets with red, white and black, diced headband. Black ostrich feather top with plume and cockade on the left. Tartans of the era were all derived from the official Black Watch (the Military Sett) with various white, yellow or red lines added to provide a regimental distinction; the 42nd being a red line in the sett to indicate grenadier status. Hose was red and white diced.
Their officers had crimson silk sashes from the left shoulder to the right hip. They were mounted and wore trews. On campaign a normal shako with a three-line deep red, white and black dicing around often replaced their expensive feather bonnets. When the Battle of Waterloo started, the Union Brigade was posted to the rear of Picton's infantry division; the Greys at the left rear of the Inniskillings, who were in line with the Royals on their right. Pack's Brigade of Picton's division, consisting of the 55th, 92nd (Gordon’s), 42nd (Black Watch) and 1st Foot (Royal Scots), were in front of the Inniskilling Dragoons and Greys. The Royal Dragoons were further to the right, behind Kempt's Brigade (28th Foot, 79th (Cameron’s) and 32nd Foot).
Reference:
BRITISH INFANTRY UNIFORMS Since 1660 ISBN 0 7137 1127 2 pages 59-60
AN ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF UNIFORMS OF THE NAPOLEONIC WARS page 93
WELLINGTON’S ARMY plate 32
Brassey’s History of Uniforms Napoleonic Wars Wellington’s Army ISBN 1-85753-221-X page page 126/7
BRITISH MILITARY UNIFORMS From Contemporary Pictures plate 71
  • Like 1

My picture has the head of the French Grenadier in error
413763308.jpg
Luckily I have swapped them before assembly starts
Flesh sprayed
Andrea Color 1st Shadow = primary flesh
Andrea Color 2nd Shadow = secondary flesh
Andrea Color 1st Base = third skin spray and ninth skin tone
Andrea Color 2nd Base = fourth skin spray
Andrea Color 1st Light = fifth skin tone
Andrea Color 2nd Light = sixth skin tone
Vallejo Model Color 19 70927 Dark Flesh FS32555 = seventh skin tone
Vallejo Model Color 20 70845 Sunny Skintone = eighth skin tone

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

My picture has the head of the French Grenadier in error

With a ginger ‘tache he might have looked just the part. I’m watching all these with interest as I’m going to have a crack at the English Musketeer for the Airfix GB

• Haha 1

Painting the tartan:
Vallejo Model Color 88 70895 Gunship Green = tartan check
413766021.jpg

Vallejo Model Color 73 70969 Park Green Flat = tartan dice
413766022.jpg

Vallejo Model Color 70950 169 Black = Military sett
413766023.jpg

Vallejo Model Color 31 70957 Flat Red = grenadier tartan stripe
413766026.jpg
413766025.jpg

• Like 2

Vallejo Model Color 70950 169 Black = bonnet, boots, cockade, bonnet peak, Military sett, cartridge pouch
Vallejo Model Color 49 70807 Oxford Blue = facings, lapels, cuffs, collar, wings
Vallejo Model Color 1 70951 White = socks, bonnet band, lace, piping
413769336.jpg

• Like 1

All painted and ready for ground scatter.
413777515.jpg
Vallejo Model Color 48 70898 Dark Sea Blue = kilt
Vallejo Model Color 31 70957 Flat Red / 32 70946 Dark Red / 33 70926 Red = coat
Vallejo Model Color 88 70895 Gunship Green = tartan check
Vallejo Model Color 73 70969 Park Green Flat = tartan
Vallejo Model Color 31 70957 Flat Red = grenadier tartan stripe, lower portion of plume
Vallejo Model Color 70950 169 Black = bonnet, boots, cockade, bonnet peak, Military sett, cartridge pouch, chin ties
Vallejo Model Color 49 70807 Oxford Blue = facings, lapels, cuffs, collar, wings
Humbrol Acrylic 25 Matt Blue = canteen
Vallejo Model Color 1 70951 White = socks, bonnet band, lace, piping, sporran
Humbrol Acrylic 106 Matt Ocean Grey = greatcoat
Humbrol Acrylic 103 Matt Cream = bread bag
Humbrol Acrylic 34 Matt White = lace, belts, straps, inscription on canteen
Humbrol Acrylic 33 Matt Black = sporran
Vallejo Model Color 149 70872 Chocolate Brown = musket stock
Humbrol Acrylic 53 Metallic Gun Metal = bayonet, fittings to musket
Humbrol Acrylic 60 Matt Scarlet = dicing to shako/bonnet band and socks
Humbrol Acrylic 64 Matt Light Grey = gaiters
Humbrol Acrylic 54 Metallic Brass = belt plate, buckles
Humbrol Acrylic 11 Metallic Silver Fox = buttons

• Like 1

There are several versions on the way that the Black Watch gained the all red vulture feather "heckle" but it is certain that they were very proud of it. So proud that in 1822 the instruction came from Horse Guards that they were the only ones to have that distinction. I understand that the red feather with white tip was worn by some Grenadier junior officers.

From the Official Black Watch site:-

The origin of the wearing of the Red Hackle is uncertain. There is evidence that it was worn by the 42nd in North America in the 1770s, however a 19th Century tradition ascribes the award of the Red Hackle to an action at the battle of Geldermalsen in 1795 when the 11th Light Dragoons retreated, leaving two field guns for the French. The Black Watch promptly mounted an attack and recovered the guns.

Red Hackle DayIt was for this action that the Red Hackle was allegedly awarded and on the King’s birthday on 4 June 1795, there was a parade at Royston in Hertfordshire, when a Red Hackle was given to every man on parade. It was not until 1822 that the Adjutant General issued an order, confirming that only The Black Watch would have the privilege of wearing the red “vulture feather” in their bonnets.

You may also find the following links pertinent to the tartan. They do say that all conpanies of the 42nd wore identical tartan long before the Napoleonic Wars.

https://albanach.org/the-original-military-tartan-the-black-watch-f5530a63a716

http://www.tartansauthority.com/research/tartan-spotlight/the-black-watch-tartan/

Edited by FredG

Oh I don't blame you on the tartan. For me immediately before you added the red stripes it was the best painting on a figure of a Black Watch tartan I'd seen. With the red stripe it's still a cracking job on tartan but I just don't think it's a Black Watch.

I checked in my library and Haythornthwaite does mention that the Grenadiers 'may' have had a red overstripe in their tartan but that language suggests to me that he isn't convinced and if Haythornthwaite isn't convinced..........;)

28 minutes ago, FredG said:

I checked in my library and Haythornthwaite does mention that the Grenadiers 'may' have had a red overstripe in their tartan but that language suggests to me that he isn't convinced and if Haythornthwaite isn't convinced..........;)

I had picked up on a similar comment. I should have looked for pictorial evidence :banghead:

I love these figures, thanks for showing your process. I was reading some old IPMS magazines the other night and stumbled across this review of this model in the August 1972 issue.

IMG_5321

• Thanks 1