1/144 - Buran spacecraft by Ark Models - released - Soyouz set from Armata Factory

Homebee

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Phil Gollin said:

I thought the space version of Buran was going to have either tiles or panels for thermal protection  -  the underside moulding seems to be perfectly smooth.

Worn away by space dust.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

There was a MiG-25 chase plane with secondary flight controls to intervene if anything went wrong

The source of information please?

To the best of my knowledge the chase plane, MiG-25PU-SOTN piloted by Magomet Tolboev with observer/TV operator Sergey Zhdanovsky did NOT have any means to control the spacecraft.

The only means of remote intervention known to me was a self-destruction system 

www.buran.ru

http://www.buran.ru/htm/flight.htm

25 minutes ago, Pin said:

The source of information please?

To the best of my knowledge the chase plane, MiG-25PU-SOTN piloted by Magomet Tolboev with observer/TV operator Sergey Zhdanovsky did NOT have any means to control the spacecraft.

The only means of remote intervention known to me was a self-destruction system 

www.buran.ru

http://www.buran.ru/htm/flight.htm

If you say so . . .   :winkgrin: 

Have to dig out the big book published in Russia 1997 on the whole Buran development. And read all the 438 pages of it. 

Come to thing of it. Nooooooo, I dont think I will waste time on this. Simply no point, and will simply retract everything I have written above. :D:D:D

Only add that the flight of two orbits around Earth was on 15th November 1988.  

The book falls open anyway at the chapter of ejection seat development all the rest is uninteresting. . . :yikes:

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

This seat have K-36RB (РБ in Russian) name. 

BTW - its 5 time were launched at space, but never installed at Buran - its were inside of head section of missile (on place of system of emergency saving) and tested during launch unnamed spaceships Progress 38-41.

df7fe26460b11cc763e3754b40ab9a98.jpg

Edited by kotey

Early cockpits still had KM-1M seats installed.

The really interesting thing on Ken's photo is the X shaped white cylinders (left lower corner in the photo) which are the extended power rocket motors of the Zvezda ejection seat for Buran to get the seat in a safe distance from Buran.

Best regards

Gabor

The most interesting detail on this cockpit mockup photo, IMO, are the levers in the middle. 

Unlike The Shuttle Buran was supposed to be able to perform powered landing by means of two AL-31 turbofans both sides of the tail fin. These engines may be installed or not depending on the mission profile, so on the first (and the last) Buran spaceflight they were not installed and their placements were covered with thermoblankets as visible on this scheme:

armin23m.jpg

and on The Real Thing:

ter7.jpg

The engines were installed on BTS-O2 atmospheric testing vehicle however their thrust was not sufficient for the take-off therefore two additional engines were added in side nacelles

al31-1.gif al31-3.gif

On this picture of BTS-2

1 - cover that would block engine intake on lift-off and on the orbit

2 - "stock" spaceworthy turbofans

3 - additional AL-31 used during take-off

With atmospheric engines installed the orbiter would look like this:

vrdu%202.gif

Thrust levers in the cockpit (I think this is 02 article):

rud-1.jpg

Buran during assembly - engine logements are clearly visible both sides of the fin above orbital maneuvering engine bulks 

baikal44.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Or perhaps he's talking about the double windows at the rear of the crew compartment, uppermost? 

These are docking windows to control approach during manual docking. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 9:41 PM, ya-gabor said:

chapter of ejection seat development

maneken.jpg

"Oh, my God! They killed Kenny!"

😁😁😁

...О.К.!...O.K.!, it's not a Kenny, just dummy

"Ivan Ivanovich", but they killed him anyway! 😁

B.w. good story about this "Ivan Ivanovich" for  Buran K-36RB

(on Russian):

http://www.buran.ru/htm/memory23.htm

On 12/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, Homebee said:

And a dedicated Soyouz set from Armata-Models

Soyuz is all the same from the series "What If "... it would be better if they made a combat couple 😁

of space-interceptor "50-22":

spiral12.gif

and "Attack orbital plane":

spiral11.gif

Resource:

http://www.buran.ru/htm/spiral.htm

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Hah... I remember trying to scratch-build one as youngster based on some drawings published in a Romanian modelling magazine (Modelism). It was showing the Buran attached to the carrier (?) but cannot recall all the details...

PS. I found the cover! It was the February issue of 1989... Memories, memories.... :D

Edited by armored76

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got the kit now from Russian seller at ebay. Kit is looking okay, but will badly need thermal tile decals. Looking forward to those mentioned.

Dare I mention a need for a 'Orbiter Attachment Fixture Kit' for the big Revell transport aeroplane?  🙂

Flemming

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ark Models

now has only one way for a decent response to these competitors' intrigues

- to make a model Soviet Space Shuttle not only Buran with the launch tower, but also with the model of the entire Baikonur cosmodrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baikonur

inside the box!

😁😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1