Airfix B737-200 Air Zimbabwe

Whirly

Timely spot! There's nothing worse than getting everything done and then noticing you've fitted a part backwards, upside down or whatever.

Really looking good with the new nose and engines.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, thank you for the appreciating words, I'm liking too how the model is coming out.

I had little time for modelling in the past few days but most painting has been done and I hope to finish in time.

First a good coat of Tamiya gray primer was applied and I was really happy to see that very little needed fixing.

Next step are the wings, paint tin ready for spraying!

P_20180402_170421

Xtracolour Boeing Gray went on well but it took ages to cure completely despite using Mr.Color levelling thinner which is quite hot as a solvent.

P_20180402_174418

Then the white fuselage was tackled with Vallejo White Primer, I'm quite happy after treatment with polishing cloths.

2018-04-09_10-23-20

The most difficult step was masking for the natural metal lower fuselage since the white demarcation follows exactly the shape of the three-coloured cheatline but shifted of a few mm. I'll see the result later after removing the masking tape. This is the last coat of Tamiya acrylic black in preparation for Alclad Chrome. It needed several coats increasingly thinned to reach the "glass look" needed.

P_20180416_220114

And here is the result after application of several thin coats of Alclad. It's the first time I used Chrome and I struggled to let it out of the airbrush nozzle despite being nearly water thin, perhaps the metal particles are quite big? Opinions and suggestions are welcome for future applications.

Next step is removing the masks and, all things going well, complete the multi-coloured wings then go straight to decaling.

Cheers Fabio

P_20180417_220036

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 6

Thank you RAY, I also experimented with lacquer thinner from a paint store and got a quicker drying time but the paint seemed to be more prone to orange peeling.

Actually though the problem now is with the Alclad chrome: the black coat underneath developed a ridge over the masking tape and any attempt at restoring the finish would remove the metal paint. I fear I will have to leave it as it is but I really don't like it..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm back!

Seeing the due date rapidly approaching I tried to accelerate work on this baby Boeing.

Here is the painting completed, some problems discovered while removing the masks but there's little I can do without harming all the metal finishes, I'll have to accept the compromise...

P_20180426_215204

P_20180426_215155

Here is a close-up of the Authentic Airliners vortex generators. They are an extremely fine product and a really better replacement for the molded detail.

P_20180426_215314

• Like 3

Now on to decaling...

P_20180430_231552

The left was completed and I found out a big goof... the demarcation line between white and metal is placed in the wrong place and doesn't match the cheatline!

On checking better I even found there was some asimmetry between the two sides. What I was thinking when I placed the masks????

No other option than attempt a risky repair. I used Post-it notes to cover the already applied decals to minimize the damage.

P_20180501_111637

P_20180501_111701

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Repair done, I had to insist with the white coats to cover the mistake and this will show with more paint ridges...

P_20180501_124652

Masking removed and main decaling completed.

2018-05-02_08-50-382018-05-02_08-51-23

• Like 3

Good luck with the fix Fabio, Hopefully, the decals aren't damaged.

EDIT: You posted you update just as I posted my first reply! Good to see it worked out

Lovely livery too BTW!

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee

18 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Good luck with the fix Fabio, Hopefully, the decals aren't damaged.

EDIT: You posted you update just as I posted my first reply! Good to see it worked out

Lovely livery too BTW!

Hi RAY,

the decals somewhat survived: I had some damages on the right side and I managed to patch things up as best as possible. My mistake in the painting fase was very unfortunate and I should have paid more attention to the exact positioning of the decals using a photocopy for masking.

Anyway I love this livery and it is coming out really well!

• Like 1

OK, I'm calling this done: the U/C was completed and I added the wing root lights with decals from Authentic Airliners. No more time since tomorrow I'm off for some family commitments. Here are a pair of images, more in the gallery.

Great to be part of this GB, I got the push I needed to do this model which had been lurking in my stash for many years. Pity I couldn't devote more time to read about all the other builds, I'll save them for more quieter times!

P_20180505_212718

P_20180505_212734

• Like 10

Very nice, and a good recovery with the line under the decals. Those AA engines look superb, and the new nose makes a big difference.

Love that scheme and a great catch on the paint demarcation - you're braver man than me!

ATB
Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

sorry for another long absence. I really welcome all your positive comments and I'm glad you are liking the end result like me.

I posted some more images I took later in the RFI section, just to give some relevance to this wonderful Group Build!

Fabio