Is Dremel any good?

ModellerCH

13 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

I find it really easy to be inspired by the guys on this and other forums I use. Modeling has surpassed being just a hobby in my opinion, and is now as powerful as what is considered "fine arts". I would rather go to a modeling museum and learn the history behind the models, over going to a modern art museum, any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

That is amazing work for your first go at it. I am sure you had some sweat on your brow when you were about to put the grinder into the wing! Pucker factor has to be up there!

Anthony

Parts of me still get a bit twitchy when I think about it.

Chris

25 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

twitchy

That brought back memories. Back when I was doing carpentry work, remodels etc, my partner gave me a nickname, "twitchy the plumber" because of my peculiar madness to my methods, and that at the time I was drinking mountain dew by the dozens, making me just a wee bit anxious all the time!

Anyway, fine work!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, need a little help now.

Today, I pulled out my Dremel XPR 400 and tested her out. Sure enough, she still works, I am pretty shocked to be honest, but my luck has to be turning towards the good at some point.

Anyway, the kit has all kinds of attachments, most probably have no use in modeling plastic kits, like the drywall circle hole cutter. But other attachments might be useful, especially the long flew cable, giving me the ability to use the tool with greater accuracy.

So the 64 billion dollar question. Is the minimum speed of 5,000 RPM still too fast for use on plastic?

I have all kinds of bits, grinding stones, round sanders (really aggressive though) and probably hundreds of cut off wheels, not sure what use, if any, they would have. But all of it is pointless if the speed is too fast for use.

I know Chris has a variable speed controller, which I have no clue how that works or where to buy one, but having a working tool with all the attachments/bit, opens up my capabilities I think.

If the tool is too fast, what version is safe for plastics and possible brass/PE? Which actual bits have uses in our field? I am sure there are a ton of different ways a rotory tool is helpful, and the bits can save time and make for better results, is there a list of uses for modelers anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony