De Havilland DH100 Spider Crab (Vampire prototype) Amodel 1/72

This was built from the Amodel DH100 Vampire Mk 1 kit modified by fitting the large tail fins, removal of the guns and different decals.

There was much anguish about the colour scheme. It has been nearly done to death in a couple of BM threads but the upshot is that nobody actually seems to know what the colour scheme was. Most people agree that the topside was Medium Sea Gray but opinions for the underside colour range from yellow, silver to duck egg. I decided to go for silver.

Decals were a problem as there was again a lack of hard information. I settled for 50" Type B on the upper surfaces and 'small' Type C on the underside. The others came from the spares box and and I made the registration. Incidentally the the blue in the kit decals, which I did not use, seems to be somewhat on the light side.

p?i=fb89bc58005ddcc5c32abb63dfa638d5

p?i=67750d17fca185b165494c68314c9a30

p?i=f12c8dc0b735147637bdb32f608c317d

p?i=cc399c76340090b89015c135bd78b6e8

Lastly seen here with its younger brother the prototype Venom.

p?i=85e4eec36861cd840a27ec211bfd6465

Any comments or extra information welcome

John

• Like 24

49 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Nice one - the large tail fins - have they been fitted just test wise on the Mk.1 Vampire?

And how was the A-Model kit?

Cheers,

Michael

No that was how it started out. There was a directional instability problem which caused snaking. As part of the investigation they fitted a vertical surface ahead of the cockpit and from that they worked out that the fins were too big and so they simply cut the tops off and that is why the first Vampires had the flat topped fins. De havilland then redesigned them to give them the DH shape.

There is a lovely story from one of the ground engineers that when it was realised that the fins were too big they first flew it without one of the rudders and found that solved the problem. However it couldn't be left like that so Geoffrey De Havilland insisted that they just hacked the tops off there and then. The design office had a fit but it worked.

The Kit was OK. Not perfect but much better than previous Amodel efforts

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John R said:

No that was how it started out. There was a directional instability problem which caused snaking. As part of the investigation they fitted a vertical surface ahead of the cockpit and from that they worked out that the fins were too big and so they simply cut the tops off and that is why the first Vampires had the flat topped fins. De havilland then redesigned them to give them the DH shape.

There is a lovely story from one of the ground engineers that when it was realised that the fins were too big they first flew it without one of the rudders and found that solved the problem. However it couldn't be left like that so Geoffrey De Havilland insisted that they just hacked the tops off there and then. The design office had a fit but it worked.

The Kit was OK. Not perfect but much better than previous Amodel efforts

Interesting - didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying. It looks somehow wrong with the larges fins but that makes it special.

I heard about the not so special Vampire kit of A Models - got the Mk6 kit to build the Swiss version with the Pinocchio nose - and it doesn't look that special.

Good news is that Special Hobbies is working on a Mk.1 as well as on Mk.6 - their Vampire kits are definitely better.

Cheers,

Michael

Great to see that you finally got this one done John, I think you're pretty near the mark colour and markings wise. Those I spoke to all said they thought the silver most likely for the underside and it looks just right. (somebody's bound to come along now with a colour photo to prove us wrong!). Look forward to seeing it at the shows.