Crusader II

Ratch

This one
413741703.jpg

This kit was originally tooled in 1971. The kit is reputedly of dubious scale, but the olive-green injection mouldings are adequately detailed. The tracks are wholly inadequate being badly distorted. The small decal sheet is old and yellowed, but appears to be in register. The instruction sheet illustrates assembly in seven stages, with options to build Mk II or Mk III versions with decal options provided for a Crusader III of 1st Army 17/21st Lancers, 6th Armoured Division in temperate scheme or a Crusader II of 8th Army 10th Hussars, 1st Armoured Division in desert scheme.

My original plan to do this as a 1st Northants tank is foundering on a lack of images and Reg Spittals’ pictures look like Crusader IIs to me, so I shall try to replicate the muddy conditions at Linney Head in a small vignette.
Stage 1 sees the construction of the Mk.II turret. All went fine until I tried to cut the spade from the runner; it snapped into two pieces, one of which was consumed by the Carpet Monster.
413755105.jpg
I thought I might have a spare from a previous build but inspection of my bits and bobs failed to reveal one. However, I found something that looks like a starting handle, so fixed that in its place (having filled the locating holes with putty). I also found a British tank crew member I had built previously. I cut off his arms and repositioned them. He will stand behind the turret in a similar manner to those in Reg’s photos.
413755106.jpg
I also found a spare set of tracks. I have no idea where they are from and they’re probably totally inaccurate, but they may be better than the kit supplied ones.
413755109.jpg

Then the carpet monster gave up the missing part of the spade. I fixed both halves and added the spade to my spares. I also assembled the Mk.III turret because it is possible that the 2nd Northants fired these at Anney Head in December 1942.
413756685.jpg

Next up was stage 3 and the assembly of the hull. I quite like the way the hull is broken down making assembly simple yet sturdy.
413756686.jpg

I must remember that the tyres were solid black rubber
413756689.jpg

• Like 4

These are my reference pictures of the 2nd Northants at Castlemartin in December 1942

383295829.jpg

383295817.jpg

Below the bottom picture is a note that the Crusaders were 2 tone green with yellow and black stripes

• Like 1

Construction is practically complete
413758055.jpg

I have some replacement tracks on the way, so the skirts are merely tacked on for spraying
413758057.jpg
This is the first time I have shot Vallejo Model Color through the airbrush and when suitably thinned it went OK
413758058.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good, big fan of vallejo myself, I thin mine with distilled water and also use the glaze and matt mediums to good effect.  Tamiya is very good with IPA but ventillation is important.  Yours looks very tidy.

• Thanks 1

Tracks will be in the post today.....You will need to remove the current idler & sprocket to fit them, but I'd be inclined to wait until you have them in hand to check the length (an decide if you actually want to use them) before removing the current parts.  

I really do have fond memories of this kit, I'm going to try to get the Shermans done and at least start one of these over at the ATF.....Reckon a Mk.II in desert camo might be interesting, I don't normally do North African campaign stuff.

• Like 1

I repainted the intakes as they are unlikely to rust. I decided to use the kit tracks and firstly airbrushed them with Gun Metal followed by Sandy Brown. Over this I applied an umber wash.

413769067.jpg

I decided it may be best to fix the tracks onto the wheels using a thick cyanoacrylate. Tweezers were inserted between the mud guards and the tracks to hold them against the wheels as the glue set.

413769068.jpg

413769070.jpg

413769071.jpg

The model was mounted on a wooden plinth, upon which I spread a mix of Plaster of Paris, water, umber poster paint and earth scatter. This was roughed up and rough grass added in patches.

413769072.jpg

413769073.jpg

413769074.jpg

I have some tidying up to do. I'd like a second opinion on the black and yellow stripes that I had noted and whether tactical marking were likely, so not quite finished.

• Like 1