Monogram's Old F4U-4B: wings and things

DMC

Nothing spectacular here, just chipping away at the little things that need sorting if I am ever to call this one done.  First picture is of the bottom of the outer starboard wing.  After measuring the wing again I note that it is actually about nine scale inches longer in span then I first thought.   Times two and the overall span is about 18 inches longer that it should be, according to the drawings I'm using.   The excess will need cutting off and the tip reshaped.   Also, the aileron is a bit too narrow and will need widening.  

Second picture is of a wing intake with the oil cooler and wind direction vanes in place.   I wasn't happy with the look of the ribbing inside the wheel wells so I scrapped it off of the starboard inner wing top and tidied things up a bit with new ribbing.  The wing top on the right shows the old ribbing.  It occurred to me also that I wouldn't be able to fix in any tubing, etc, in the wells as I had made things difficult for myself by half completing the front of the, port, well where the tubing is to go. For the starboard well I shaped and insert that fits in the well so I could fit the tubing on it first and then cement it into the well.

The third photo just shows the cut-out in the flap that I lined and the nearly completed cowl with a heavy coating of Halford's primer. which I am particularly pleased with.   Wasted a little time detailing the spar as nothing can be seen through the intakes anyway.

Thanks for looking

Dennis

55c47e73-53e5-4cf7-8dac-c2c508ca420b.JPG

7cc0fd29-c634-4da2-b70d-02c1389b4600.JPG

98c56df6-e12e-4127-9326-89549b032f33.JPG

Edited by DMC
Omitted words
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! :)

Håkan

Thank you, Hakan, I appreciate the positive reply and the “like”.  In fact I appreciate all the likes.

Dennis 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Dennis,

I am enjoying seeing all the addition details you are adding to this old classic.

Very nice work indeed.

Cheers Greg

Thanks, Greg.  Built up OOB and viewed stand-off it looks like a Corsair but when the parts are compared to a good set of plans everything is off.   Still, it’s been an enjoyable project so far.

Cheers

Dennis 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Thanks, Greg.  Built up OOB and viewed stand-off it looks like a Corsair but when the parts are compared to a good set of plans everything is off.   Still, it’s been an enjoyable project so far.

Cheers

Dennis 

Dennis this certainly has been a lot of work to get it up to the standard you want & the main thing is you are enjoying your modelling - I bet you will have a real feeling of satisfaction when she is sitting up in your display case all finished & looking great (alongside the Bearcat)

CJP

Hi CJP

Thanks you for the encouraging reply.  Yes, would like to see it completed and on a shelf, or in a case, sometime but still have many hours of work to do yet.   And then of course there’s the Bearcat (and the U-2, and the Tigercat and the ......).

I see after looking in on your Skyhawk post that you not shy when it comes to really getting stuck in on a build.  Not sure I would have the nerve to split one apart and start over.  Looking good, however.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hi CJP

Thanks you for the encouraging reply.  Yes, would like to see it completed and on a shelf, or in a case, sometime but still have many hours of work to do yet.   And then of course there’s the Bearcat (and the U-2, and the Tigercat and the ......).

I see after looking in on your Skyhawk post that you not shy when it comes to really getting stuck in on a build.  Not sure I would have the nerve to split one apart and start over.  Looking good, however.

Cheers

Dennis

I don't know about that! - you have done major surgery on these two - my Hasegawa Skyhawk was an old favourite for me so deserving of a bit of TLC after being in my collection for a long time

CJP

Time to start cementing the wings together.  Rather than just butt the against the fuselage, which I didn't think would make a very strong join, I cemented a thin strip of styrene that followed the curve of the wing top and then cemented the wing to that, and the fuselage. 

Matched the port and starboard wells up and now have just a few more bits of bracing, and some tubing, and they'll be done.

The concave part of the flap assembly turned out okay.  I could have used filler but I choose to try plunge moulding instead.  First plunge came out okay and I avoided a lot of mess by doing it that way.   Not a big fan of filler anyway.

Cheers, and thanks for looking

Dennis

4987f5bd-c9b7-41a7-a1bc-f27563a542b4.JPG

ff8a4ad0-28a6-4785-a608-8093dc5cd4b1.JPG

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DMC said:

Time to start cementing the wings together.  Rather than just butt the against the fuselage, which I didn't think would make a very strong join, I cemented a thin strip of styrene that followed the curve of the wing top and then cemented the wing to that, and the fuselage. 

Matched the port and starboard wells up and now have just a few more bits of bracing, and some tubing, and they'll be done.

The concave part of the flap assembly turned out okay.  I could have used filler but I choose to try plunge moulding instead.  First plunge came out okay and I avoided a lot of mess by doing it that way.   Not a big fan of filler anyway.

Cheers, and thanks for looking

Dennis

4987f5bd-c9b7-41a7-a1bc-f27563a542b4.JPG

ff8a4ad0-28a6-4785-a608-8093dc5cd4b1.JPG

Nice work on the wings and also great showing how you go about plunge moulding your parts

CJP

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice work on the wings and also great showing how you go about plunge moulding your parts

CJP

Thanks for that, sir.  Plunge moulding has been a bit of a game changer for me as far as modelling goes.  I’ve discovered that I can make quite complex mouldings that I previously thought would have to be vacuum formed.  The downside is I get really involved in making changes and as a result the builds go on and on and I get burnt out and start another kit.  I don’t have a very good track record for finishing a build.  Trying to rectify that a bit lately.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve been running a plunge moulding tutorial over on the Scratch Building page and am working on a canopy for the Corsair.

Thanks for looking

Dennis

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, DMC said:

I’ve been running a plunge moulding tutorial over on the Scratch Building page and am working on a canopy for the Corsair.

Thanks for looking

Dennis

Hello Dennis - did you finish this model? - I was very impressed with your work so far on the post

CJP

First of all, my congrats for the work you have done so far Dennis!!!

While skimming your build's 3 pages, I was surprised to see that Monogram had a kit in 1/48 that was underscaled. Particularly, if you consider the fact that they had access to many variants of the Corsair and therefore could easily produce an accurate kit (and in any scale).

Looking forward for the next steps of your build Dennis.

Cheers

Bill

Wow! A build from the past.  Haven’t thought about this one in a while.  Now I’m going to have to get the box out and see where I left off.   

Thanks, CJP and Shalako, for your comments.

Dennis