This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

I think enough has been shown of the new 48th scale GWH Su-35S  kit in the past months. Some “friends” would say why show it at all?  :D  Some considered it to be a hype of the kit. :shrug:  Showing CAD’s and images of the plastic sprues and parts is far from a hype, but it is for everyone to decide. Just as decision based on the following pages of how the kit looks like on the workbench.

Haneto did a fantastic out of the box build few weeks. Now it is time to add few drops of paint and do the second test build this time here in Europe.

KQFj4WN.jpg

OK where do we start. Let’s cut some parts and do some cleaning of the gates. Beginning with the smaller parts. Have to say that the airframe in 48 th is fairly impressive in size. More on this later.

Of course I wanted to see few of the details which I like and get the parts which go with it. Also there are sub assemblies which are easy to do, clean and prepare for painting.

A pile of different parts at random, more or less cleaned and ready to go into the paint shop.

sP6REnm.jpg

Here is the cockpit, detailing of the area under the windscreen, the HUD unit with cooling ribs, electronic attachments, the gun camera, windscreen heating . . .

OvYU56K.jpg

Of course there are parts which go into the cockpit. There is one part here which I don’t like. The reason for its simplicity is very simple at the time of design we simply did not have more details of the back wall. It was clear that there is a mesh covered “window” and a pressure unit on the other side. But not much more. The choice was between designing some fiction on the back wall all add only what we know for sure. We left the fiction to other manufacturers.

In comparison to this fortunately a lot of detail was available on the forward part of the cockpit, the side walls all the way to the forward bulkhead, the leg “rails” for the pilots feet and the control column base. Soon all this will get some paint and it will be more realistic.

zT3Ehig.jpg

The K-36D-5 ejection seat. The harness system is provided as a separate part.

Jb7xgRy.jpg

The front undercarriage bay. That tinny little part in the middle is none other than the pressure refuelling point. Had a close look at it and have to say no idea how the tool makers managed to get the details on it. Like it. Of course some more parts will make up the bay.

CEIOZNR.jpg

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor

Nice one Gabor... knew you wouldn't disappoint us :)

The kit looks fabulous in bare plastic form (as did their 1/48 MIG 29's) but I just hope this one goes together, fits and builds better than the MIG 29 kits did?

Watching with interest before reaching for the wallet!

Gary

I’ve been hoping someone would post photos of the plastic soon. I am really excited about this release and can’t wait for my stock to arrive. (Neither can the folk that have already pre-ordered I guess)

Duncan B

5 minutes ago, redcap said:

The kit looks fabulous in bare plastic form (as did their 1/48 MIG 29's) but I just hope this one goes together, fits and builds better than the MIG 29 kits did?

Watching with interest before reaching for the wallet!

Gary

Hi Gary,

This is the purpose of this forum. Isnt it? Just as you I also want to see how the kit builds. This is why I started work on it. I only did research of this aircraft for G.W.H and did the design in the past years. But tool making is a different business so I want also to see how well it works out on the workbench.

I did some dry runs already and they were OK. But I will write down what the experiences are. In this case I have to put down my hat as researcher/designer and put on the modeller hat and do a build. :winkgrin:

Best regards

Gabor 

I enjoy all your imput on this site using your wealth of information and knowledge Gabor and I look forward to seeing how this goes together and your overall assessment of it. Thanks for all your time and work on this build article.

Kind regards

Gary

I have moved this to work in progress for more visibility 

Just a small reminder of the size. The kit is big and it comes in a big box (45x33x10cm).  I would say the main reason for this is that the top and lower fuselage halves are one piece incorporating the wings. The nose cone and the parachute container cover are separate parts.

y7AYhkZ.jpg

This is also a reminder of the size but this time of the cockpit and how small it is.

GkCBPwm.jpg 

I will show some dry fit of the engine cover later. The two engine covers are an all one piece moulded parts. They are big single units with lots of surface detail. The only way to achieve this is through slide mould tooling. It is inevitable that where tools meet some kind of mould line will be seen. Remember the lines on top of the canopies for F-14, F-16 . . . The G.W.H Su-35S kit is no exception from this. The engine cover is moulded from three sides (the outer surface) so there should be two lines along the “edges”. I wanted to see what this means in real life, so cut off the right cover and had a closer look. Yes, there is slight line visible. Took a fine sand paper and a drop of water. It did not take long to remove the line which is positioned away from other surface details or panel lines to make the work easier. In the centre of the engine cover on the outer side there is a panel where the main gear lock drop shaped cover will go. I did not bother with the line here since it will be covered by parts C97 and C98 anyway. A bit of light polish with a paper handkerchief restored the surface texture.  

Here is the finished right cover.

mHpxmC1.jpg 

OK, right cover out of the way, had a look at the left one. The surprise here was that on the inner side of the cover the mould line is virtually not visible. On the outer side it is there but once again slight wet and dry sanding solved the “problem”.

ddwwMG1.jpg

A slight line was visible (if at all) on the outer side before sanding.

RyD82GB.jpg

OK next up is a dry run of fitting the covers to the fuselage.

Best regards

Gabor   

Great!

Thanks for showing a WIP!

The panel lines on thos thumbs are a bit overdone!! :analintruder:   

... and the nails aren't tinted :whistle:

It looks like it is well engineered - the one piece upper moulding and single part engine nacelles eliminates the joints found in other kits.

Ken

Back after a weekend break, a good club meeting, chat with friends and some excellent food.  :winkgrin:  :D

Where was I last week? Oh, yes. The dry fit of the engine covers. Judge for yourself and compare to previous kits where there were problems in this area. There was no need to apply any pressure on the one piece engine cover part. It simply clicked into place. I am just holding the fuselage to show it.

hoEolEv.jpg

DbQQzU6.jpg

DRM2O5K.jpg

Had a look what will happen if it is simply put in place and no “outside” assistance is applied, no glue, no pressure, what will it look like. Look no hands!  :D  Here are the results.

hEhrSqI.jpg

TKZ4GSk.jpg

On the outer side at the back there was a considerable gap. This will be considered by many as a serious issue, unsurmountable problem, making the kit unbuildable. . .

6O05TiS.jpg

But have a look at the next photo. Part G1 covers this area completely and the fit here is just as good. Once again it is simply put in place, no glue, no pressure. It stays in place with little visible of the joint line.

zBmGSpp.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

You're cheating!  There's tape! :frantic:

That's some crispy detail though :Tasty:

I'm not totally surprised by the great fit, having built the g w f15c kit in 1/48,  the surface detail is gorgeous too, looks to be a must have kit. 

Glynn 

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeh, the tape was some old cassettes I found in a box last year. Still love them, true analog sound! Had some Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp but also some real Pink Floyd while doing work on the kit. Real music!

And to lighten up bits and pieces of Kenny Everett shows (Captain Kremmen) that I taped from Capital Radio 194 in late 70’s.

Have to say that I was not sure what the tapes are like after some 35-40 years. It was worth buying TDK and Sony tape back in those days! They are still perfect and sound excellent. 

Best regards

Gabor

22 hours ago, Mike said:

Just for you Mike! :winkgrin:  :D  :D

d01c7pw.jpg

Over on ARC question was raised about one particular panel line, while others question every single line on the G.W.H Su-35S kit. Here is a view of the area in question. Make your own conclusions.

Fortunately we all have different tastes, different religions, different ways we live and different kits we buy based on our preferences. I can only show details and everyone can make their own decisions. Fortunately it is not a dictatorship where one single person tells everyone else what they should think off, how they should live, what they should buy . . .

RMIwi2x.jpg

I have to add that on the kit surface all sorts of panel lines were reproduced.

-  There are simple panel lines where aircraft surface panels join. Mostly associated with rivets.

-  There are service panels of different size which are in most cases have either fast locks or screws of different diameter.

-  There are overlapping panel lines where appropriate.

-  The photo illustrates some of them, where you can compare the line in question with others.

KONeMam.jpg

It is interesting to read on ARC about “baby’s hand” deep and wide panels lines in connection with the G.W.H Su-35S kit. I don’t really like to compare kits and did not really want to get into this, but since the question was raised. . .  

Please find below a view of the G.W.H Su-35S kit back with the “Grand Canyon” panel line and for comparison a fin detail from a recent kit by another manufacturer. They are both in the same 48 th scale I should add!

The two parts are on one photo, same lighting conditions so the comparison as real as possible.

QxBza8t.jpg

If we need comparisons of panel lines and surface detailing then here is another recent kit. I would not really like to comment it.

g4fZBU0.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

P. s.  if showing kits, details about them, photos, news is considered by some as HYPE or marketing of a given kit, then I believe forums like this should be banned all together as well as “Build in process” where good and bad points of a kit are shown.

I'd ignore the various slings & arrows being thrown elsewhere Gabor, and just carry on showing us what's what. :) Some people have an agenda for whatever reason, and no amount of proof, reasonable comparison or reason will convince them otherwise.  It's like the Fanboy in reverse :shrug:

1 hour ago, airframer said:

Hi Gábor. What is your opinion? Which is the better Great Wall Hobby or Kitty Hawk Su-35? 

Sorry, I don’t have other kits of the Su-35 family, so there is no basis for comparison! Have no idea what KH did in the kit.

I only know what we did for G.W.H kit. Everyone have their own preferences. 

Sorry could not help with this.

Best regards

Gabor

There was a question about the fit of the canopy.

L37x1as.jpg 

Also a view to show the Omega shape of the windscreen as well as the clear sprue.

cxgyTaT.jpg

nH02qKd.jpg

nxqjC0h.jpg

Hope to have an update on the weekend about the work done during the week. As well as adding few drops of paint to first parts. :D

Best regards

Gabor