1/72 Canberra B.2 10 Sqn RAF

Great choice Julian,

I've also recently acquired this great kit so will look on with immense interest.

Quick Tip... If I'm correct, this kit has raised or very slightly recessed panel lines to represent the mid-wing airbrakes / spoilers.

These should be removed or filled as they were not features of the Canberra B.2.

I know it's a little on the pedantic side, however it's not a big issue to fix.

Cheers.. Dave

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great choice Julian,

I've also recently acquired this great kit so will look on with immense interest.

Quick Tip... If I'm correct, this kit has raised or very slightly recessed panel lines to represent the mid-wing airbrakes / spoilers.

These should be removed or filled as they were not features of the Canberra B.2.

I know it's a little on the pedantic side, however it's not a big issue to fix.

Cheers.. Dave

Thx Dave, I will be taking some pointers from @canberra kid on this one. 

JUlien

8 minutes ago, Julien said:

Thx Dave, I will be taking some pointers from @canberra kid on this one. 

JUlien

Very wise - It's something that quite a few of us do.

We are all very thankful that John never seems to tire when it comes to Canberra chatter.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Julien said:

This is my S&M Canberra build, using xtradecals for RAF 10Sqn although I wont be putting the Suez Strips on that the sheet shows.

Julien,. I'll be looking forward to this having similar plans for one of these myself. When you say without the Suez stripes do you mean entirely as in before or after Suez  or not the black & yellow ones from the Xtradecal sheet ( most sources appear to show black & white stripes on the 10 sqn Canberras during Suez)?

Steve.

41 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Julien,. I'll be looking forward to this having similar plans for one of these myself. When you say without the Suez stripes do you mean entirely as in before or after Suez  or not the black & yellow ones from the Xtradecal sheet ( most sources appear to show black & white stripes on the 10 sqn Canberras during Suez)?

Steve.

Steve I wont be doing any stripes, so will base it on just before operations. I think they spoil the lines of the Canberra. I wanted something a little different from the norm and the colour scheme on the aircraft I had never seen before.

JUlien

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I'm on stand by Julien! Dave @Rabbit Leader if it's the wing mounted 'finger' airbrakes? then hold off with the filler! they are applicable to all Canberra's, although some kit manufacturers would have you think otherwise.

John

Whoops - I take that back then!

I'll have to revisit this issue and pour over 1001 photographs before I start mine.

Apologies If I've given anyone the bum steer 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You've got me thinking now, I've a Modeldecal sheet with the 10 sqn Canberra on it,  it is an attractive scheme without the stripes. Hmmmm.....?  :)

Steve.

Beware there: IIRC Modeldecal got the serial number wrong and it should be WH646.  There was a thread on here a while ago (found it!  "Suez stripes on a Canberra Bomber" started on January 20th last yearr) covering this inter alia and one photo was found of '646 in the scheme depicted by Modeldecal.  '640 had been written off, killing the entire crew, when in service with 104 Squadron on 24th September 1955 a year before Operation Musketeer kicked off.

Edited by stever219
Went back and checked facts
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Beware there: IIRC Modeldecal got the serial number wrong and it should be WH646.  There was a thread on here a while ago covering this inter alia and one photo was found of '646 in the scheme depicted by Modeldecal.  Apparently '640 had been written off or had passed on to another unit before Operation Musketeer kicked off.  I'm sure Canberra Kid can confirm or repudiate this for me.

That was my photo 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Sorry John: I've just edited my post (type first, check facts later, that's me)🙄

I'm the same Steve, I'm all too often the victim of predictive text and bad edditing and posting before I've looked at what I've typed.  If you are building a pre Opperation Musketeer B.2 you'd be ok with 640 or 646

John

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ll tag along if I may. Is this a ‘medium run’ type kit with white metal etc or is it all plastic?

Trevor

Trevor

I don't have the kit but from what I've been told by thouse that have and from what you will see in this build, it is more like a short run kit, it's all injection with good, if a little inaccurate detail. Not the panacea to all are Canberra woe's I and a few more were waiting for.

John

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Whoops - I take that back then!

I'll have to revisit this issue and pour over 1001 photographs before I start mine.

Apologies If I've given anyone the bum steer 

Cheers.. Dave

One for you Dave, are these the air brakes you ment?

pqeDHM.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Some photos of B.2's in the scheme you are doing @Julien 

pq08wj.jpg

John

Nice, is that two colours on the fin under bird? the decal sheet shows that panel all the same colour.

Thx

Julien

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

One for you Dave, are these the air brakes you ment?

pqeDHM.jpg

John

Yep... just about to carve through that first slice of ‘Hunble Pie’ John!! I’m sure there was mention of some wing difference between the B.2 and later B.6.. I’ll have to go through my notes. Can I state with any confidence that the kits wheel hubs are more akin to a B.6 rather than a B.2??

Cheers.. (a rather embarrassed).. Dave 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Julien said:

Nice, is that two colours on the fin under bird? the decal sheet shows that panel all the same colour.

Thx

Julien

Good spot Julien, It looks like she's had a new fin fitted? If you look at the following drawing area 2 is the fabric covered plywood which is medium sea grey, section 3 which in the photo looks lighter than the area directly below is I suspect painted high speed silver, it also has the black anti abrasion strip on the leading edge which if memory serves was a later mod.

puIc0W.jpg

John    

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yep... just about to carve through that first slice of ‘Hunble Pie’ John!! I’m sure there was mention of some wing difference between the B.2 and later B.6.. I’ll have to go through my notes. Can I state with any confidence that the kits wheel hubs are more akin to a B.6 rather than a B.2??

Cheers.. (a rather embarrassed).. Dave 

No need for embarrassment Dave, the Canberra is a tricky old girl. There is a difference between the B.2 wing and the B.6 but it is only structural involving fuel tanks and pylons. Yes the wheels are the big wheel as used on the Avon 109 and a few export Canberra's with Avon 1's. It was the first disappointing thing I spotted with the kit. If it came out as a B.62 he could have got away with it! 

John  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s an unusual join line for the nose. I assume ther is a B.(I)8 option available too?

Trevor

Hi Trevor

No B(I)8 so far as I know, the canopy forms part of the fuselage in much the same way as in the Ally-cat canopy set. 

John

Edited by canberra kid
  • Thanks 1