Trash Can Rescue (1/72 B-58 - Italeri + Caracal decals)

Good day all

A bit of a story: About 15 years ago I built the then-new 1/72 scale kit of the B-58 Hustler from Italeri. It looked really good, was finished with ALCLAD II + ALCLAD's own primer. About 6 months later I noticed that the surface of the model is covered in fine hairline cracks... After consulting around, it seemed that the ALCLAD primer was at fault (poor quality control, same as what clobbered the original ALCLAD company - hence, ALCLAD II). I tried several times to fix it, eventually gave up and tossed it in the garbage can. In the meantime I bought another B-58 kit that I found on eBay + a set of Caracal decals in 1/72 for that kit... The decals turned up much sooner than the kit, and the Caracal decals looked REALLY good so I started thinking - "Hmmm perhaps I should just try to fix that old B-58 once more"...  So off I went to check if the trash had been removed yet, actually found the model plus the bits & pieces that got broken off in the trash can (broken eggshells and empty jam bottles etc on top of it had some effect). This time I removed all the old paint including the ALCLAD primer as best as I could. Now being thoroughly disgusted with ALCLAD II products I looked around for an alternative and found two full bottles of Polly Scale "Old Silver" in my stash... All I can say is that 1) Polly Scale being out of business now is a Crime Against Humanity (I should have bought tons of Old Silver) and 2) Caracal Decals is the BEST quality decals I have come across EVER.

PS. excuse the poor quality pics (cellphone) and zero attempt at a sexy background...

pqbJYO.jpg

pqbeBx.jpg

Edited by jannie
typo
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you for saving it 👍 The Hustler is one of my Favorites, and you put it in one of the better marking options.

Thank you Corsair. Obviously its a favourite subject of mine as well (I am really more into RAF / FAA / SAAF subjects usually). I'll keep that in mind - I have the old Monogram 1/48th kit PLUS a set of Fox One decals for which I paid a sum of money which shall remain a secret forever (from my Better Half). I should have waited, Caracal released the same set in 1/48th recently. Anyway I plan to do it in one of the Convair Development aircraft schemes as well.

Edited by jannie
Google's Chrome seem to drop my edits!!
  • Like 2

Hi guys

Thanks a TON for all the positive comments - I somehow think it's the first time I have ever posted anything on Britmodeller ever (other than my usual inane chatter). Very much appreciated, gives me some hope & courage to post more stuff.

Regards to all!

You pull off a fantastic recovery of one of the most gorgeous looking aircraft to ever fly and only give us 2 photos - the BM Community DEMAND to see more!!!

That is a stunning looking build - the touches of red look great.  I have one in the stash that I am hoping to get around to one day and will certainly look into those decals.

Also good to see a turntable - does it get much use?

Phil

1 hour ago, Booty003 said:

Phil said: Also good to see a turntable - does it get much use?

You bet. I am ALSO obsessed with audio equipment - on top of all my other "problems" I have in life I probably can be classified as an audiophile as well, some of my other "builds" are Tube (thermionic valve) audio amplifiers... It's close to 3 AM here where I'm at else I'd have posted a pic or 2 of the "rest of the room" (it's actually supposed to be my office, I work from home in the Software Industry as an Analyst / Engineer / Code Monkey). Some days I bitch about my job but in reality I have it good, my boss does not care whatsoever how or when I do my assigned projects, as long as I pump out code... Which gives me an opportunity for "relaxing stuff" going on here on the side in parallel with the more serious "bread-and-butter" stuff.

-- Jannie

Edited by jannie
Typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

What a stunner the B-58 is. I would love to have seen one in it's element. Superb rescue there. I have the Fox One sheet as well. Mine is in SEA camo, so I have a few options left if I build another.

Any chance of a photo or link to your SEA camo build?

5 hours ago, jannie said:

You bet. I am ALSO obsessed with audio equipment - on top of all my other "problems" I have in life I probably can be classified as an audiophile as well, some of my other "builds" are Tube (thermionic valve) audio amplifiers... It's close to 3 AM here where I'm at else I'd have posted a pic or 2 of the "rest of the room" (it's actually supposed to be my office, I work from home in the Software Industry as an Analyst / Engineer / Code Monkey). Some days I bitch about my job but in reality I have it good, my boss does not care whatsoever how or when I do my assigned projects, as long as I pump out code... Which gives me an opportunity for "relaxing stuff" going on here on the side in parallel with the more serious "bread-and-butter" stuff.

-- Jannie

Oh man, Tube Amps look soooo cool..!!!

What tunes do you put through them?

Phil

21 minutes ago, jeaton01 said:

Very nice.  Does not look like it ever saw a dumpster!

Thank you Jeaton! FWIW I HAD to sand it down - it was kind of smelly!

On 2/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, Booty003 said:

Oh man, Tube Amps look soooo cool..!!!

What tunes do you put through them?

Phil

Hi Phil - for your enjoyment, I developed a love for Classical Music lately but from time to time still run my old Dinosaur Rock that I grew up with (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yes etc):

puO72z.jpg

puOwaA.jpg

EDIT:

I tend to run the Yamaha (A-S1000) on the left most of the time, simply because of the cost - a set of KT88 or KT66 Gold Lion power tubes have a life of about 1,500 hours and cost about $200 for a set of 4!

Edited by jannie
Additional info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks a lot for sharing your work, and your kind words. 

Kursad (another code monkey)

Caracal Models

You're most welcome Kursad, and I my observation about your product were totally earnest  - your decals and the included research material (can't just call it "instructions") are second to none. 

• 2 weeks later...